account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Want to know more about Xperia 5? To read more about it go here.
If you can't find the answer to your question there please post it here and let the community help you.

Problems with internet acces through WI-FI

Highlighted
One time poster
Message 1 of 2
Message 1 of 2

Problems with internet acces through WI-FI

Hello there.

I have a problem.

I'm using my laptop as an internet hotspot using program mHotspot. I'm connecting to this network using another laptop and my Xperia Z2. I was using it for like 2-3 weeks already and everything were working fine but suddenly it stopped working correctly, I mean my phone doesn't have internet anymore. I doubt it'd be a problem with that program because my second laptop has internet access all the time with no problems.

I was searching on the internet for many solutions but nothing I found worked.

The problem looks like that:

Everytime I'm trying to load some site (google, youtube, anything) I'm getting an error: This web page is not available. I can ony Reload or Show details. I click on "Show details" and it says that the server can't be found because the DNS look-up failed. There are some solutions to this problem but none works, I tried them already. On the bottom of the page it shows Error code: DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_BAD_CONFIG. Okay I get it, its something with DNS configuration but I can't figure out whats wrong. I tried changing DNS address in wi-fi settings but it didn't work.

Looks like its a problem only with my internet browsers (I tried using both Chrome and Dolphin browser) since other apps which uses internet connections (like Skype, Facebook messenger) works fine (except for that avatars are not loading at all).

Could someone please tell me how to fix it? I don't know what to do anymore.

also I'd like to add that I wasn't changing any settings on the phone before the error appeared. I was browsing the internet at the evening and at the morning it wasn't working anymore.

1 REPLY 1
Sony Xperia Support
Message 2 of 2
Message 2 of 2

Re: Problems with internet acces through WI-FI

Hi and welcome to the community! Since you're new please be sure that you have checked out our Discussion guidelines.

I'm afraid i'm not familiar with mHotspot but it sounds like it's not providing correct DNS settings over DHCP and that you need to enter them manually in the phone. You can do this under Settings -> WiFi -> [tap and hold the network] -> Modify network -> Show advanced options -> IP settings -> Static. But for information on what settings you should use you need to check with the support for mHotspot. I suspect you should either use the DNS from your ISP or enter the IP of the virtual interface created my mHotspot.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.