account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Probable PRODUCTION FAULT: glass broke from 2cm drop, add your voice if it happened to you

Highlighted
Adept
Message 101 of 167
Message 101 of 167

Re: Probable PRODUCTION FAULT: glass broke from 2cm drop, add your voice if it happened to you

Still no official answer from anyone of Sony "Support"....bleah..
Forum Legend
Message 102 of 167
Message 102 of 167

Re: Probable PRODUCTION FAULT: glass broke from 2cm drop, add your voice if it happened to you

If you want an official answer then contact Sony - Xperia care http://support.sonymobile.com/global-en/contactUs/

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.   Richard P. Feynman

Adept
Message 103 of 167
Message 103 of 167

Dear Thommo, thank you for your advice.

I didn't mean to hurt anyone here, my post was about the total non-involvement behaviour of Sony official support folks that clearly (as you did) see what people typed here...actually i can understand that they can't give an answer to everyone..but this thread is growing up everyday and 10 pages of thread without on offiacl stance of Sony is a strange behaviour don't you think?

Some of those self screen cracking cases might be suspicious of not being real, but al lot of them seems to be real IMHO.

I'll report my thoughts to Samm, Jake and Rickard.

Peace

Apprentice
Message 104 of 167
Message 104 of 167

I tried calling and live chatting with Sony support -- i had some questions, but communicating wasn't easy.  In the end, they gave me an RMA. 

I chose not to even both, and went a different route.  Frankly, I read some bad stories about a third party repair and some additional cost -- a mess.  Also, it's a new phone, so why do it want it operated on?  Best bet is to just return the device and open a dispute with your creditcard if the vendor objects.

That's my resolution to this delicate backplate.

One time poster
Message 105 of 167
Message 105 of 167

Similar story here. Rear panel has developed a crack diagonally for no apparant reason. Phone has never been dropped and was in a case. Can only assume this is a production fault.

This is very frustrating as this is my 3rd Z3 compact. My first one suffered a shattered screen the first time i dropped it. The replacement my insurance company sent me had a faulty battery and woudn't stay on more than 8 hours. This third one has developed this crack all by itself. I feel embarressed going back to my insurance company a third time.

Sony really need to get on top of this and start proactively helping us early adopters. If only to come out and say, yeah we recognise some of our early batches have glass issues, we will be repairing these free of charge. I have only had a Z3 compact since the start of October and yet it has been nothing but a problem. The stupid thing is if this was an iphone I would go into an Apple Store, they would take one look at it and say "Sorry about that sir, here have this replacement phone." 

Sorry for picture quality, not easy to take a picture of black version as its like a mirror.

photo 1.JPG

One time poster
Message 106 of 167
Message 106 of 167

Re: Probable PRODUCTION FAULT: back glass broke from 2cm drop, add your voice if it happened to you

Just had the same thing happen to me - front and back glass shattered into 1000s of pieces after falling from less than waist height onto floor (staionary) - the phone was even in a tough plastic case/cover and fell flat with nothing of the phone/screen taking a direct impact.

The phone now doesnt work at all and all of the little glass splinters are very dangerous.

Very disapointing as I had made the move from Iphones due to cracked screens and water ingress, but I have dropped iphones far worse and far more times with out covers and they did not break the screen, and even when they did eventually break they did not shatter into the tiny glass splinters like the z3c has.

Have been quote $250 to fix the front screen - probably at least $50 more to fix the back.

Visitor
Message 107 of 167
Message 107 of 167

No force applied, no dropping the phone: The back glas is shatterd mosaic like. There are thousands of these reports on the xda-developer page:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/z3-compact/general/sony-xperia-z3-z3-compact-glass-survey-t2900149

I contacted sony support through phone and chat only to hear "you caused that yourself" or "we will have to have it in our repair center" - in a very rude way too. Obviously there is no way to prove it as a customer and once you pay for the repair yourself you loose any proof. Called the w-support repair center here in Germany and they said it would be around 120€ to fix it, since it is most probably not a warranty case.

Wow Sony relly got me upset.

Inhabitant
Message 108 of 167
Message 108 of 167

Good news!!! but so **bleep** weird....

Local Sony delears just sent my Z3C back from the lab with a brand new rear glass free of charge!

The whole comminucation with them was odd to say the least. I don't understand if it was actually covered by the official Sony warranty or not, but it cost me nothing.

I basically mailed them, told them the whole "spontanous crack" issue. They had it sent to their offices (not the lab) via FedEx for examintation without even telling me anything clear as to what I should expect if the examination indicates this or that...

After a week of not returning my calls I finally managed to talk with them on the phone, we miscomunicated further, them being very unprofessional throughout, talking irrelevant **bleep** and making many excuses as to **bleep** is going on. Then suddenly one of them calls me back telling me "We found the guy who was handling your case he said your phone was sent to the lab for rear glass replacment, probably free of charge"... Im like "thanks!!!" (thinking **bleep**? probably? who says probably? what does this mean?).

After 13 days in total my phone was FedExed back to me with a new rear. It was sent in a "fragile" packeging so I was very surpried to find NEW scratches on the screen (on the glass protector, luckily, but still **bleep** why did FedEx or the lab scratch my phone on it's way or during or back from fixing a glass issue... jesus)

During this period of time the SIM was changed 3 times (AVG anti-theft told me.) 

I have absolutely no idea what to make of this. 

My theory is that there is no official Sony policy about this issue, every local dealer does whatever he wants. I could not actually prove my phone cracked with no impact, but I wrote a pretty persuasive email. Plus anyone who knows something about phones would be able to recognize that the crack was not caused by impact, and apparently their examination proved me right.

I am thankful (and actually very surprised), but because the whole thing was so weird, required many emails and listening to hours of "please hold the line" music - I still hate Sony.

Thanks Sony, I love (hate) you (or the stoners who import your **bleep**ty phones here in Israel)!!!!!!!!!

Now who can recommend a good protective case for the Z3C? I got one from eBay which is very **bleep**ty. looks (and feels) like some amateur made it with a 3D printer or something...

Visitor
Message 109 of 167
Message 109 of 167

Interessting technodrom2 ;-)

Whom did you email?

I think I'll write a amazon.de comment about the glas problem for people to be know about this possible problem.

Inhabitant
Message 110 of 167
Message 110 of 167

I emailed the company that imports Sony Mobile to my country "Beres Electra". They are the ones who provide the 2 year "Official Sony Warranty". The fact that they actually changed the glass for free is quite remarkable and confusing IMO. 

Was it an instruction from Sony (International)? Was it some manager / worker of the local company? Was it a MISTAKE? I HAVE NO IDEA. I'm quite happy to be honest.

From what I read on this thread most people were not so lucky. 

Obviously in a just world everyone's $h!tty glass would be replaced free of charge, and they would actually change the design of this product so that it dosen't break so easily.... But that probably will not happen.