account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Probable PRODUCTION FAULT: glass broke from 2cm drop, add your voice if it happened to you

Adviser
Message 21 of 167
Message 21 of 167

Re: Probable PRODUCTION FAULT: glass broke from 2cm drop, add your voice if it happened to you

online shop refused me the change of my z3 compact. Now i brought to to authorised service center (not sony's service center), if they will refuse, I will probably try to send these to sony's center in some big european country, cause there is no official center here in Latvia. Already contacted sony through sonymobile.com, still no response.

Highlighted
Inhabitant
Message 22 of 167
Message 22 of 167

Re: Probable PRODUCTION FAULT: glass broke from 2cm drop, add your voice if it happened to you

Has anyone yet had this problem verifiedly covered by warranty?

Apprentice
Message 23 of 167
Message 23 of 167

My Z3 compact rear panel cracked by itself. No drops, no bends, no water, no dust, ive been treating it like its made of gold leaf! 7 days old! I think the phone is great, but a glass back is a risk, i think a more robust build for a waterproof and dustproof phone would be appropriate.

I have initiated the repair process but it may not be under warranty. Fingers crossed, will keep you posted!

xperiaz3c_crack.jpg

Adviser
Message 24 of 167
Message 24 of 167

I'm pretty sure it's a bad geometry of phone's body or shape, I'm sorry I have no idea how to explain this in english. It's like very rare case with car's front windshield, because of bad geometry, windshield can crack.

I'm also initiated repair process.. will keep you posted as well.

Commissioner
Message 25 of 167
Message 25 of 167

@mcflute wrote:

My Z3 compact rear panel cracked by itself. No drops, no bends, no water, no dust, ive been treating it like its made of gold leaf! 7 days old! I think the phone is great, but a glass back is a risk, i think a more robust build for a waterproof and dustproof phone would be appropriate.

I have initiated the repair process but it may not be under warranty. Fingers crossed, will keep you posted!

xperiaz3c_crack.jpg

Such a complex cracking could only have come from a drop if you'd ask me. Could you post some more pictures, showing all around the sides front and back?

One time poster
Message 26 of 167
Message 26 of 167

Cant turn off sony z3 compact when the screen is broken.

I have ordered a repair. Whata bad phone. I had the phone for 1 week then I do a small dropp from 1 decimeter from the floor.

Now the screen is totaly useless.

Apprentice
Message 27 of 167
Message 27 of 167

It absolutely wasn't dropped!! I can't get more photos of it at the moment as I had to borrow a camera to take these photos. But I have closely inspected the sides, and there are no dents, scratches, scrapes or anything of the like.  I am genuinely shocked that this has happened. And really annoyed as it is an expensive piece of kit and shouldn't do this. I concede, the cracks are quite significant, and something must've caused them, but in a product that gets handled almost every minute of every day they shouldn't crack, except from a noticeable impact!! I really hope Sony see this as a warranty case!20141010_110056.jpg

Apprentice
Message 28 of 167
Message 28 of 167

Lots of reports on broken front and back panels are starting to pop up online, for example in this German forum:

http://www.android-hilfe.de/sony-xperia-z3-compact-forum/613624-diskussion-rund-um-das-display-glas-...

Apprentice
Message 29 of 167
Message 29 of 167

There is also this forum. Where a user is gathering a survey of issues via a google doc. V.Interesting.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/z3-compact/general/sony-xperia-z3-z3-compact-glass-survey-t2900149

Please fill it out to add your voice if you have had issues.

Adviser
Message 30 of 167
Message 30 of 167

Just filled out the survey, thanks for the link. We sure need more voices for Sony finally to reply about the problem.