account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Please add WMA file support

Xad
One time poster
Message 1 of 12
Message 1 of 12

Please add WMA file support

I was hoping WMA file support would be included in ICS, but unfortunately it was not. I understand that Android don't support it natively, but other manufacturers like Samsung, LG, HTC etc support the format, so why doesn't Sony support it, especially considering Sony audio/mp3 players support WMA which is how i ended up with a lot of files being in WMA format. Sony even put the "Walkman" brand in the latest ICS version, and that brand is associated with being able to play this file format.

I know there's a 3rd party app that supports it, but i'd really like to use the native music player as i prefer it.

Please add WMA audio support in the next release as it will make migration for those who had Sony portable audio players hence have a lot of WMA files, a lot easier.

11 REPLIES 11
Forum Legend
Message 2 of 12
Message 2 of 12

Re: Please add WMA file support

Have tried considering converting your wma files to the formats supported by your device? yeah I know it a painstaking way, Slightly smiling Face just suggestion though. Winking Face

________________________________________________________________________________
The Man! The Myth! The Forum Legend! -Scott Sterling
Xad
One time poster
Message 3 of 12
Message 3 of 12

That's what i want to avoid doing as the format should be supported natively imo as other Sony devices support the format. Samsung, HTC, etc support the format so Sony should support it too.

I like WMA format as it uses such little space while retaining most of the quality.

Emperor
Message 4 of 12
Message 4 of 12

you can use Media Go to transfer the music from your PC to your phone and that should fix it, there are myriad apps on the market that will play them, but it seems that you don't like this phone that much, basing it on the number of threads/issues.

Don't forget to mark the Correct Answers & Helpful Answers

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Xad
One time poster
Message 5 of 12
Message 5 of 12

Requesting WMA file support = not wanting to keep the phone?

I specifically stated i'd stated i'd like to see native support so i don't have to use 3rd party software as i prefer the Sony audio player - does that sound like a negative comment to you or a complimentary comment towards the Sony music player? And no, there aren't a "myriad of apps that will play them", there's only one, which is what i had in mind when i said i preferred the Sony music player app.

Today is the first time i've actually created a thread in a while and it's been a feature request as opposed to a complaint, otherwise my focus (no pun) has been almost entirely about the camera focus issue and you translate that as being a huge number of threads/issues/complaints by me?

As i said, i like WMA format which is why i'd like to see it supported natively as other Sony devices, which i have, support it and handle it well. Other Android phone manufacturers support the format even though it's not built into Android itself, so Sony should follow suit especially now that they've brought in the "Walkman" brand that is associated with being able to play many formats including WMA.

Xad
One time poster
Message 6 of 12
Message 6 of 12

Sony developers, please add WMA audio support in the native music player which handles MP3 files perfectly, so the addition of WMA would be even better as i prefer it due to better compression and also because my Sony NWZ Walkmans support WMA and transferring music between my Sony devices would be so much easier. I know Android does not support it, but other manufacturers like Samsung, HTC, etc, include the support themselves, and being that Sony easily has the best portable MP3/audio players around (i have two), Sony sholuld support the format too.

Or if it's a licensing/budget issue, then maybe add it as an add-on installation for a small price via the market place so those who want it, can buy the add-on so that the native music player handles the WMA format (and possibly other formats). This way Sony doesn't have to pay a licensing fee for each and every Xperia phone. Or even offer the add-on for free and keep a track of how many people install it via the market place, that way you'll only pay a small amount in license fees as not every XPS user will install it.

Please add WMA support in the music player. Thanks.

Highlighted
Community Manager
Message 7 of 12
Message 7 of 12

Please both stay away from the personal attacks!

Thanks for posting the feedback. I will forward it to the developer team.

Emperor
Message 8 of 12
Message 8 of 12

Check this out

Windows Media Licensing Royalties for Final Products

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/licensing/licensing.aspx

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/licensing/final.aspx

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Xad
One time poster
Message 9 of 12
Message 9 of 12

uliwooly wrote:

Check this out

Windows Media Licensing Royalties for Final Products

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/licensing/licensing.aspx

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/licensing/final.aspx

$0.10 per unit? 10 cents? That cheap and Sony left it out? (especially considered how much the phone cost).

Nice to see Samsung, HTC, etc splashed out and did something wild like spend 10 pennies on the per unit license even on their cheaper range.

And stop reporting every single post. You even reported the entire thread for some strange reason, apparently you found the first post requesting WMA offensive......good job, made sure no developer could even come across and accidentally see the thread.

Emperor
Message 10 of 12
Message 10 of 12

How hard it's to follow the forum guidelines?

communitymanagerSonyXperiasupportteam

253 posts since

Apr 22, 2010

Please both stay away from the personal attacks!

Thanks for posting the feedback. I will forward it to the developer team.

contact Sony and let them know how you feel about it, as you know this forum is to help each other out not for Sony to help users, if you need to contact Sony this is how

http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/support/contact-us/

Don't forget to mark the Correct Answers & Helpful Answers