account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Photo duplicates, and I can't erase them.

Learner
Message 141 of 153
Message 141 of 153

Re: Photo duplicates, and I can't erase them.

Cant Sony release a fix for this instead of directing us all to fix this ourselves ?

Mine has been doing this since May 2014.

I would not recommend this phone to anyone at present. I avoid even looking at that part of my phone. I have tried previous fix solutions from the forum. 

Everytime I am in the album something has changed, missing files, broken image files, duplicates upon duplicates.

luckily I have all my images backed up. It is impossible to find things in the album. 

I resent having to fix this ..... I've even reverted to previous version, but no joy with it at all. 

It is Kaputt basically !!

this problem is ruining this usability of this phone, SONY YOU HAVE MANY UNHAPPY CUSTOMERS AT PRESENT due to this album .nomedia file problem. 

Please stop instructing us all to fix this ourselves and FIX it .

:-/

Vivh
Sony Xperia Support
Message 142 of 153
Message 142 of 153

@vixenvg2014

We are looking into this but currently i can only recommend that you recreate the missing .nomedia file manually or that you perform a repair of the phones software using a computer. If you repair the phones software the file will be recreated as it's there by default but it will delete all your personal data so make sure you have a backup of anything you want to save first.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Sony Xperia Support
Message 143 of 153
Message 143 of 153

If you want to recreate the file, the easiest way to recreate it is probably using a 3:rd party app like https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.studiokuma.nomedia

Start the app, tap the folder called "Android". There you should see two folders, "data" and "obb". To the right of these two folders you should see a music icon with a red X over it. If you don't see this icon that means the .nomedia file is missing. In that case, just tap and hold on "data" and then you should see the music note with a red X over it.

When this is done, go to Settings -> Apps -> All -> Media Storage -> Clear data -> OK and then restart the phone.

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

One time poster
Message 144 of 153
Message 144 of 153

Hi Rickard! This is awesome. Just bought this phone 2 days ago and really unfamiliar with android. I am windows phone platform lover. Went crazy with the album but what you advise to do is awesome! Work like charm in a very simple way. Fully recommended guys!
Sony Xperia Support
Message 145 of 153
Message 145 of 153

Glad to hear that i could help Slightly smiling Face

One time poster
Message 146 of 153
Message 146 of 153

None of these things have worked for me!!!
Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 147 of 153
Message 147 of 153

@Lisa2358 wrote:
None of these things have worked for me!!!

Have you cleared the cache and restarted the phone after placing the ".nomedia" files?

One time poster
Message 148 of 153
Message 148 of 153

Tomkay I just followed the steps rickard posted and downloaded the app, now I have no photos or videos, lol, all I wanted to do is get rid of the 7000thumbnails my phone created for no reason what so ever, I've never had that problem on a phone before, and this phone is nothing but hassle to me, it won't even play videos on Facebook unless I'm using WiFi.

Back on track... Is there any simple way I can get my photos and videos back and anyway to stop my phone making stupid amounts of thumbnail images for everything that appears on its screen?
Enthusiast
Message 149 of 153
Message 149 of 153

@Caldog wrote:
Tomkay I just followed the steps rickard posted and downloaded the app, now I have no photos or videos, lol, ...

Don't worry, your media is still there. It just takes the phone a while to build all the previews (thumbnails) again. You may need another restart, but eventually, you'll see all your media items (this time without any duplicates).

@Caldog wrote:
... and this phone is nothing but hassle to me, it won't even play videos on Facebook unless I'm using WiFi.

Hopefully you'll enjoy the phone a lot more once your media items will be shown again.

I had some problems recently as well which annoyed me hugely, but they were related to Google/Android and not Sony's fault, in particular not the hardware's fault. Looks like I have conquered the issues now and I'll be able to fully enjoy my phone again.

You may say that the album should work without user intervention and I would agree with you, but then note that other manufacturers have their own issues, so the grass isn't typically really greener on the other side.

As for the inability to watch videos on Facebook while not using Wi-Fi, I would suspect that this isn't the phone's fault, but probably a restriction imposed by your mobile data plan/bandwidth. I could be wrong about this and I would suggest that you use the same SIM and provider details in another phone hardware to make sure that it is indeed the Z1 compact that is causing the problem.

I think the hardware is so beautiful that it is worth fighting a bit for a smooth experience. I wouldn't want to trade my Z1 compact against a Z3 compact because in my view the Z1 compact looks more elegant.

One time poster
Message 150 of 153
Message 150 of 153

Re: duplicate photos

many thanks!!

instant fix!

A