account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Phone randomly stops responding

Highlighted
Message 1 of 5
Message 1 of 5

Phone randomly stops responding

Had my Z5 since February.
Over the last few weeks it's started randomly stops responding.

The touch screen just stops. The volume, camera and power buttons respond just fine.

I sent it to Sony to investigate, it came back as 'fixed' but now it's having the same issue again.

Sometimes a reboot resolves, but only after a few hours powered off.

Has anyone else had these issues?

I'm running Android 6.0.1, not rooted or anything. Not using any resource hungry apps or anything fancy.

All very frustrating!
4 REPLIES 4
Sony Xperia Support
Message 2 of 5
Message 2 of 5

Re: Phone randomly stops responding

Hi @lewishardwick,

Welcome to the community.

I am sorry to hear about the issues you're facing. Because it is an intermittent issue, it will be difficult for your local repair team to identify it. If they received the phone and could not replicate the issue then they would likely return it with no changes.

I recommend you try to perform a software repair on your handset and see if the issues persist, and if they do you should contact your local support team to arrange another assessment.

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Message 3 of 5
Message 3 of 5

What is the difference between software repair and a 'factory data reset'?

Message 4 of 5
Message 4 of 5

Oh well. A software repair didn't help.

Looks like it may be an app, but for a high spec phone your customers really dont expect to see such issues.

Genius
Message 5 of 5
Message 5 of 5

@lewishardwick wrote:

Oh well. A software repair didn't help.

Looks like it may be an app, but for a high spec phone your customers really dont expect to see such issues.

Best thing to do is to run your phone in Safe Mode, this will determine if a 3rd Party App ie one from Google Play Store is the cause of your problem.
Sony is not responsible for 3rd party apps downloaded from Google Play Store......so try running your phone for a while in Safe Mode, if your phone runs perfectly then it is indeed a 3rd party app :smileysmileythumbsup:
http://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/FAQ/How-to-boot-your-phone-into-safe-mode/m-p/348008