account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Phone froze, now endlessly blinking red light, won't charge / reset / turn on

Highlighted
Rookie
Message 1 of 13
Message 1 of 13

Phone froze, now endlessly blinking red light, won't charge / reset / turn on

I was taking a picture with my phone when the entire phone froze, then a few seconds later the screen went black. This struck me as odd, as I'm pretty sure I had charged it over night last night. It is a possibility that the battery went to 0% though. However, ever since the screen went black, I have not been able to do anything with it. When I plug it into a charger (and I've tried several), the LED light endlessly blinks red. I've tried every way possible to reset the phone (removing SIM card, pressing off button near SIM card, holding down power and either of the volume buttons). Tried connecting the phone to both a PC and Mac, but neither recognizes that a device is connected.

When I hold down the power button the red light stays on (not blinking). But there's no way to tell if it's charging or not, because it still won't reset or turn in. I've tried letting it charge for a few hours, with no success.

I'm out of the country for several months, with no T-Mobile store anywhere near me in Buenos Aires. There is a Sony store about 30 minutes away.

Is there anyway to remedy this incredibly frustrating situation without travelling to the Sony store and getting repairs there? A lot of people seem to have had / have the same issue as I, but no where can I find any clear answers on a fool-proof fix to this type of issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as this phone is literally my main point of contact for both work and back home right now.

12 REPLIES 12
Emperor
Message 2 of 13
Message 2 of 13

Re: Phone froze, now endlessly blinking red light, won't charge / reset / turn on

Try this

Connect the phone to a wall charger > press and hold power & volume up for 10 seconds > let the phone charge for 2 to 3 hours, even if it doesn't seem to be working. 

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Rookie
Message 3 of 13
Message 3 of 13

Re: Phone froze, now endlessly blinking red light, won't charge / reset / turn on

Thanks for the reply, but as stated before, I've already tried this and it didn't work. Do you have any other suggestions I might be able to try? This isn't the first time I've had problems with my Xperia that rendered the phone completely useless, and although I love the phone normally, I'm starting to regret my purchase.

Emperor
Message 4 of 13
Message 4 of 13

Was the phone exposed to water? 

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Emperor
Message 5 of 13
Message 5 of 13

The best thing to do is to contact your local Xperia Care

http://support.sonymobile.com/global-en/contactUs/

Rookie
Message 6 of 13
Message 6 of 13

The phone was not exposed to water. But thank you for your helpful efforts so far. Hopefully Xperia care can help me... Sort of worrying the language barrier might be an issue here, but I'll try. If anyone else has any other suggestions while I wait on them to get back to me, feel free to let me know!

Emperor
Message 7 of 13
Message 7 of 13

Language barrier? Do elaborate

Rookie
Message 8 of 13
Message 8 of 13

I am currently studiyng abroad in Argentina, and my Spanish is pasable, but probably won't be of much use for such a technical issue like this one (aka, it might be hard to have a conversation about what the problem is and what I have already tried if there isn't anyone in the store who understands / can speak some English).

Emperor
Message 9 of 13
Message 9 of 13

Someone should be able to help you, but there's an issue, the warranty its only valid in the country the phone was purchased. 

Rookie
Message 10 of 13
Message 10 of 13

Went to a Sony store here, apparently they can do nothing to help me because my phone model won't even be available here for another few months. Luckily managed to get another phone sent to me by a friend coming to Buenos Aires, so I guess I'll just keep my old hunk of metal for when I return to the States to see if they can get the pictures off it that weren't on my memory card.