account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Overheating problems with Xperia Z2

Rookie
Message 1 of 160
Message 1 of 160

Overheating problems with Xperia Z2

I bought my new Sony Xperia Z2 in Bulgaria on the 27-th May. I tested the camera in 4K video and normal mode. I noticed that the phone is getting hot after making some photos and video. When I recorded a 4K video the camera switched off after only 2 minutes with massege Overheating! I saw that many others had the same problem. My question is is there a chance to fix the problem. Can I return the phone and change it with another one?

159 REPLIES 159
Adept
Message 2 of 160
Message 2 of 160

Re: Overheating problems with Xperia Z2

The issue with over heating when recording in 4k is ment to be fixed in a firmware update that is currently rolling out
Rookie
Message 3 of 160
Message 3 of 160

I hope so

Talent
Message 4 of 160
Message 4 of 160

I agree. The overheating happens with all image intensive apps, this is really poor from Sony..
Talent
Message 5 of 160
Message 5 of 160

I have the new firmware. Camera is still overheating. Even when im not recording, i only have the camera activated ready to get a shot, not even in 4k. And then it shut down due to heat. So i have missed many moments.. So much for a camera mobile, thank you sony.. This have never happened in any phone ever, EVER. So thank you..
Inhabitant
Message 6 of 160
Message 6 of 160

The same problem. Camera is really good, but to make it work you have to be lucky. It is overheating in every mode. Update does not help. 
Personally, i am almost sure that it will be impossible to fix it by software updates, it is more of a hardware setup issue. 
If you have any chance, send your phone back and change it to something else. 

Also, it is very strange the a lot of reviewers mentioned the problem in their reviews but noone didn't tell it is so serious that you actually cannot use your camera, as it is overheated almost every single time. I guess that we need to do kind of a petition, make it somehow public and check, how many users are suffering from it. 

Here locally, i am planning to go to such place as governmental costumer protection center. As camera is one of the most advertised functions of the phone and Sony didn't mentioned limitations of its use, they will force the shop to take the phone back or exchange it to any other model with the same value, which is 700€ here. Hopefully, shop will send it back to Sony and they would have to take care about my phone at least than =)

Apprentice
Message 7 of 160
Message 7 of 160

i am having similar problem. the sony application "overheat control" runs in background and causes camera to shut down even when phone is slightly hot. this is very annoying. does any1 has a fix for this?? how can i stop this application from ruuning? even when it is force stopped, it starts again automatically!!

Adviser
Message 8 of 160
Message 8 of 160

Same problem with overheating while using camera. Last weekend I was on fencing event and I was recording fencing matches in Full HD and after recording few 5 min videos camera started to shutdown. I was using sandisk extreme sdxc card 64 GB as it was posted as a solution but it didin't help obviously. It's a hardware issue and Z2 has no proper cooling system. So it's designer's/engeneer's fault and Sony's fault that they thought, that users won't mind such serious problem on highend phone.

Adviser
Message 9 of 160
Message 9 of 160

Even without using the camera, my phone has the latest firmware but overheats with regular use, i have checked any apps running in the background but nothing id causing this.

Brightness is low and stamina is enabled and still very hot
Highlighted
Learner
Message 10 of 160
Message 10 of 160

Unfortunately the lastet firmware has not solved the problem. Overheating still occurs after 1 or 2 minutes in the creative camera mode and when recording 4k. However, the issue seems to have been improved for the other camera apps, so hopefully a further software update will resolve that annoying situation.