account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

On screen soft-buttons size

Highlighted
Talent
Message 1 of 12
Message 1 of 12

On screen soft-buttons size

I feel a bit of a fool.

My mobile upgrade date came and I've had my eye on the Z1 compact for some time, because it is the same size as my previous model, the Xperia S. I didn't want a Z1 or Z2 as I feel they are too large.

So I went for the Z1 Compact because of its awesome power and the fact that it's the same size as my S. But the phone came today and I'm annoyed - I had no idea that a) the on screen soft buttons at the bottom were that big and b) that they would always be on.

I've been using the phone for some hours now and I feel like I've downgraded my screen size :-( the difference compared to my Xperia S is very noticeable - despite that they both have 4.3 inch screens.

So my question - can they be made smaller? If not then surely Sony should state that the bottom quarter inch of the screen is useless? I've upgraded my phone and now I have less room. Feels like my Xperia X10 in terms of screen size.

Thanks
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Message 2 of 12

Re: On screen soft-buttons size

You could try a different launcher from google play,by default you cannot change them as far as I know.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Talent
Message 3 of 12
Message 3 of 12

Was concerned that'd be the case :-( there's probably some rooting method, but I don't want to be doing things like that the first day I get the phone. I'm really gutted, holding it next to my Xperia S shows a dramatic difference for two screens that I presumed would be the same size - after all, the specs say so.
Message 4 of 12
Message 4 of 12

Yes,I think rooting can change that.But the screen is pretty good on the compact.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Talent
Message 5 of 12
Message 5 of 12

The screen is good, but it's a shame a lower portion of it is basically useless. I was looking forward to playing my Family Guy game but then realised there's a big chunk of black menu buttons in the way. It sounds silly but when I did my research I didn't even think about these buttons. I knew compact had them on screen, but thought they'd disappear when games were in use etc
Message 6 of 12
Message 6 of 12

It is up to the app developers to make those invisible inside their applications.

Talent
Message 7 of 12
Message 7 of 12

But I suppose another thing is, if they were invisible, how would you back out of the app? Looks like I'm stuck with them :-(
Message 8 of 12
Message 8 of 12

To get them in the apps that hide the buttons,you just have to do a gentle swipe up.

Talent
Message 9 of 12
Message 9 of 12

Hmm wonder if I can swipe them down in apps that show them
Message 10 of 12
Message 10 of 12

Nope,I do not think that will work unfortunately. Face with stuck-out Tongue