account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Noise made when (dis)connecting the charger

Highlighted
Regular
Message 1 of 11
Message 1 of 11

Noise made when (dis)connecting the charger

Hi,

just got my Z1C 2 days ago - very happy with it but my main frustration is the annoying noise which the phone makes when I plug it in or disconnect the charger.

I doubt it is relevant but so far I only use the magnetic charhing point - does it also occur with the micro-USB charger?

if it cannot be switched off then I might turn all the notifications or alerts off - does anyone know what "type of noise" the Xperia classes this as?

I hope I can switch it to silent!

Thanks,

P

The evolution of man('s smartphone): Apple iPhone 3 (2008) *|* HTC Desire (2010) *|* Samsung Galaxy S3 (2012) *|* Sony Xperia Z1 Compact (2014)
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Message 2 of 11

Re: Noise made when (dis)connecting the charger

When my Z1 (not compact) is put to charge (wall socket via USB cable or magnetic cable) there is no sound coming up.Are you on a specific network?

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Regular
Message 3 of 11
Message 3 of 11

Thanks Alexdon. I'm on UK Vodafone and there's no soft or hard branding on the phone. I've only used the magnetic charger (genuine dock) and it makes a noise every time! Is it specific to the Compact?
The evolution of man('s smartphone): Apple iPhone 3 (2008) *|* HTC Desire (2010) *|* Samsung Galaxy S3 (2012) *|* Sony Xperia Z1 Compact (2014)
Enthusiast
Message 4 of 11
Message 4 of 11

Can you be a bit more specific on the "noise"?

Does the phone beep, or do you hear a high pitched sound?

It's not unusual some people will hear a faint high pitched sound, coming from the power adapter.

That's called coil noise. You can try with a different charger, if you have another one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coil_noise

Regular
Message 5 of 11
Message 5 of 11

Thanks Ji_Yong. It's an electronic noise ... a notification or alert type noise ... I'm unsure whether it's the same as diary / sms alerts for example - I will check!
Message 6 of 11
Message 6 of 11

Keep us updated.It might be something from Vodafone though.Just check with another charger.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Regular
Message 7 of 11
Message 7 of 11

OK, thanks for your interest, I'm pleased that you're trying to help me AND that this seems not to be standard, although it is still frustrating me!

I've tried other chargers, sockets, USB and magnetic, and they all cause the phone to make the same 'alert' noises when connecting and disconnecting the power (in fact when the power supply is started / stopped) - a clunk or click when the charging starts and a beep when it stops.

I had an app installed which I thought could have been the problem (Battery Doctor) but uninstalling this didn't solve it - there are various notifications within the app but these are not what I'm getting.

I've turned the phone onto silent and this stops the noises. Sadly I need the phone on audible at night in case of emergency calls. 

Additionally I've gone through the stock notification sounds and NONE are the two I get when charging / disconnecting the phone!

Starting to get paranoid and think they're in my head - until I remembered that my wife commented on them too!

So I'm still grateful for any advice and help!

Message 8 of 11
Message 8 of 11

If you still think an app is related,run it in safe mode:

http://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/FAQ/How-to-boot-your-phone-into-safe-mode/m-p/348008

Also,I still think you should just in case contact Vodafone.Carriers implement their stuff in a firmware.

Regular
Message 9 of 11
Message 9 of 11

Thanks alexdon for your help - and everyone else.  

I still haven't worked out what the noise is although it is still an issue - I'd like to be able to plug it in (prefereably on the magnetic dock) at night next to my bed, but the noise will wake my wife! Zipper-mouth Face :smileyshhh: Sleeping Face

I've been travelling for a week - hence the lack of focus on this for the last few days, but I'll now try to get to the bottom of it.

Has anyone who's reading this thread got a Z1 Compact and no noise when (dis)connecting a charger?  

In Europe / UK?

The most frustrating thing is that it even happens in SILENT mode - all noises, ringtones, notifications OFF and it still makes a "clunk" when connecting and a "beep" when disconnecting"! Thinking Face Face with rolling Eyes Angry Face 

I tried the SAFE MODE boot and the noises were the same!

I'm not sure how to find out whether Vodafone have implemented this in some firmware (though I still think it's unlikley as there's no other hard / soft branding visible).  

It is a company mobile and comes via a 3rd party Vodafone reseller.  They are not particularly good technically when it comes to any specific phone, but I did ask them.  Their answer was that they haven't come across these noises before and it might be worthwhile swapping the handset while it is less than 2 weeks old!

I think I'll take their advice!

Regular
Message 10 of 11
Message 10 of 11

Hello, 

thanks for the help offered with this issue - I did get my original Z1 Compact swapped by Vodafone UK and the replacement doesn't make the annoying charger (dis)connection noises.  Must just be a strange 1-off issue.