account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

NEW phone locked with Pin (screen lock)

Highlighted
Visitor
Message 1 of 5
Message 1 of 5

NEW phone locked with Pin (screen lock)

Hi,
I bought an Xperia XA1 today and switched it on for the first time and I cannot unlock the phone cause it's asking for a pin number (like when you have screen lock enabled) which is super odd cause I just bought it. So the phone is completely useless right now cause I can't access it. 

Usually you should be able to use smartphones even without a sim card, right?
I hope anybody can help me. 

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
Regular
Message 2 of 5
Message 2 of 5

Re: NEW phone locked with Pin (screen lock)

I'm only guessing but it sounds like one of two things 

Either the phone is not actually new and is still set up with someone else's pin etc, in which case you need to take it back (was the box sealed when you got it?) 

Alternatively do you have some form of mobile rescue set up? In which case you'll need that pin. 

Good luck 

Visitor
Message 3 of 5
Message 3 of 5

No, no mobile rescue or anything like that. I was starting the phone for the first time.
Well, when I got it from the store it was in it's original box, but now that you mention it I can't remember the box was actually sealed. It could be that they used it for display in the store and somebody played around with it but I don't know.. I think I'm just gonna call the store tomorrow. Probably I need to exchange it. 

Thanks a lot for your guessing! Upside-down Face 

Regular
Message 4 of 5
Message 4 of 5

Hope you get it sorted. Fingers crossed. 

Sony Xperia Support
Message 5 of 5
Message 5 of 5

Hi @sibylle1, welcome to our forum!

In can see that you wrote that you are going to contact the retailer that sold you the device and that is the best option, since there is no screen lock on our devices from the start, you will have to set your own either in the start up guide or later on in the Settings menu of the phone.

To remove the screen lock, I'd recommend that you perform a software repair using Xperia Companion. This will delete all data that is stored on the internal storage of the phone and at the same time remove the screen lock.

Keep us posted on how it went! Slightly smiling Face

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.