account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

MicroSD 32gb Xperia Z Issue / Question

One time poster
Message 61 of 104
Message 61 of 104

Re: MicroSD 32gb Xperia Z Issue / Question

I've gone back to my supplier and I've contacted my carrier about this (T-Mobile). Nothing yet. I suspect they're inandated with similar reports but at the end of the day what can they do and how do you prove that this is an issue with the handset?

I suspect the best I'll get out of them is either A) a replacement Xperia Z which i'm pretty sure will give me the same issues or B) a different handset. If the issues persist I think I'll be aiming for option B - what's the use of a high spec mobile when it's plagued with issues like toasting the SD card. I also have to manually search for a network EVERY DAY I get to work (when it does I get a good signal and a high speed data connection). It just won't pick up a signal of it's own accord.

One time poster
Message 62 of 104
Message 62 of 104

Wish you goodluck trying this also with T-Mobile but no luck yet.

As long as Sony is not telling the truth about the Z we are doomed i suppose

Genius
Message 63 of 104
Message 63 of 104

as posted already - I have had 8gb - 16gb and finally for over 2 months now 64gb sd cards in my EZ, all error free

I know I'm going to get slated for this but - I rekon all those reporting problems with SD cards are either faults with the card or some app you guys have installed with permissions to the card

as frequently mentioned here - certain utility apps cause issues including antivirus

look at the permissions of stuff you install - something I pay a lot of attention too

just obsevations and I'm not pointing the finger or trying to deflect - but it is worth consideration

One time poster
Message 64 of 104
Message 64 of 104

The SD card I had worked for months without a single issue in my HTC Desire S so I highly doubt it was a fault with the card and I can't see how permissions could make any difference.

SD cards are highly resilient devices, the only way I could see damage being caused is either physical (wrong voltage, outside of the opertaing temperature limit, static etc.) or corruption of the partition on the card, even with that I'd expect to be able to recover from a corrupt partition pretty easily using a PC.

However you look at it, weather it's a hardware or software issue, or even a combination of the two, it could even be a particular sequence of events that lead to the issue that nobody has actually identified. Either way there's A LOT of people suffering the same issue with the Xperia Z. Nobody else I know has ever had an issue with their SD card in their mobile. In actual fact I've got several devices that I've been using for years that have never had issues with an SD card that can't be fixed by formatting or recovering the partition. I had a rooted Desire S for 2 years which I did a lot with, if the SD card was at fault I can pretty much guarantee something I did on that handset would've exposed it.

As it stands Carphone Warehouse have offered me a replacement handset - I don't know if it's worth it though. The likelyhood of the new handset having the same issue is pretty high and it's been OK with a new 32GB Transcend card so far.

Visitor
Message 65 of 104
Message 65 of 104

I've been experiencing this "'memory has been removed unexpectedly" issue since June and finally got a new warranty replacement card yesterday (Sandisk Ultra SDHC 32GB Class 10). My Xperia Z now works fine with the new Micro SD card and no more error messages. However, I have noticed a sharp increase in battery consumption since I've put in my new Micro SD card (even when the phone is in Stamina mode and on standby). Can you please look into this Sony - I don't want my new Micro SD card to get fried!

Screenshot_2013-08-29-20-18-51.pngScreenshot_2013-08-29-20-18-51.png

One time poster
Message 66 of 104
Message 66 of 104

I have had 2 cards toasted by my Telstra branded Xperia Z and after searching online forums it would appear it is a rather common problem.

First was a Sandisk Ultra 16gb a couple of months ago and yesterday a Kogan branded class 6 32gb card.

Can't afford to replace cards this often.

I'm heading to the Telstra shop tomorrow to see what they will do about it as it appears Sony isn't helping.

One time poster
Message 67 of 104
Message 67 of 104

My Xperia Z just killed my 16gb kingston sd card, and the 32gb sandisk is auto unmount everyday, so disappoint with Sony. I hope they can do something.

Visitor
Message 68 of 104
Message 68 of 104

Hey Guys,

If you have a corrupt Sandisk Micro SD card follow the instructions here:-

http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/107

If the problem persists, contact SanDisk Technical Support

Sandisk were great sorted out my warranty claim in less than a week.

If my new replacement MicroSD card becomes corrupt like the last one, I will be contacting Sony instead of Sandisk.

One time poster
Message 69 of 104
Message 69 of 104

I bought the Xperia Z a couple of weeks back.  I was really excited about the phone, however plugged in my 32GB samsung SD card and after one day, fried the card.

I had been using the same card for almost 1 yr, so I thought it was the card just dying.

Put in a second card and 3 days later, fried again.  Luckily there were no air tme minutes on the phone as I still had to unlock it, so I took it back to the store for a full refund.

Bought the ZL.  love the phone, no SD card issues so far.

One time poster
Message 70 of 104
Message 70 of 104

I have also lost two cards within a couple of weeks caused by an xperia z tablet (not phone). A kingston 64 gb and a lexar 64 gb.

As far I know it is not possible to destroy a card by software, what is stated by some readers here. Memory cards have a controller that resides in front of the memory that handles the data access in the right way. Of cause software can delete data and corrupt files but can not destroy a card like many peoples here have written. The only way to make a card completely unuseable is an electrical issue.

Some have mentioned an increasing power consumption after inserting a SD card. This indicates for me that high currents flow into the card, overheating or simply destroying the interface. This is pure hardware and can only be solved by the sony engeneers but I assume they don't care about.