account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

MicroSD 32gb Xperia Z Issue / Question

One time poster
Message 11 of 104
Message 11 of 104

Re: MicroSD 32gb Xperia Z Issue / Question

Yep I bet your 32GB card is a class 10...   Basically I got the handset back from Sony repair centre and all they did was re-flash the phone and sent me a lovely note saying that there is nothing wrong with it....   I was hardly amused! 

Anyway after several phone calls to the support line all they keep saying is that this phone has not been tested with class 10 cards and only class 4 or 6 should be used....   I pointed out the fact that:

1. This restriction is NOT stated in ANY documentation either supplied with the phone or in tech specs anywhere!
  2. A phone of this power and speed should NEED the data transfer rates provided by class 10 cards..  By using a lower class memory card it will introduce a bottleneck and basically slow everything down...

They understood but were unable to do anything about it...  I have to say that I'm happy with the Sony support centre staff for their understanding and professionalism but VERY unhappy with Sony for releasing an untested flagship phone that can only be used with legacy technology!!  How appalling is that!!!

Anyway I have now purchased yet another sd card this time a Kingston 32GB Class 4 and have been using it without issues for about 3 weeks now...   I'm just hoping I don’t get the ' 'memory has been removed unexpectedly'' error again...   I can't afford to lose yet more data so I'm having to cloud backup my photos and backup my phone on a regular basis...

I have to admit I've lost confidence in this handset already and its only 2 months old...   Sony did assure me that I would not experience any issues with Class 4 or 6 cards... so here is hoping! Winking Face

Genius
Message 12 of 104
Message 12 of 104

I have been using a 64gb Sandisk class 10 in my EZ for about one month now and it has been flawless - it has almost 50gb of data on board and I load and delete files on a regular basis, it is set as my camera storage location

I installed new and used the phone to format the card

my experience

One time poster
Message 13 of 104
Message 13 of 104

Yes it happened AGAIN....   My THIRD memory card has been corrupted by my Sony Xperia Z...  I woke up this morning to the lovely 'Memory has been removed unexpectedly'..  Checked it on the computer and exactly the same issue as the previous 2 cards...   It's toasted!!!  

This time I was using a Kingston 32GB Class 4....  

So it's back to Sony repair ...  I guess they should believe me now and admit there is a problem even with Class 4 cards...   Their whole argument with me before is that I was using a Class 10 and as they had not tested the handset with anything above Class 6, it was my 'fault' that it got corrupted...   Well this time I guess they won't be able to use that excuse anymore...    I'm interested to find out what else they could say???

I'd just rather they get on with it, admit, investigate and fix...   Will keep you all posted but I have a feeling this may take some time until I have a satisfactory solution.

Back to the iphone for now .... Slightly frowning Face

Genius
Message 14 of 104
Message 14 of 104

you sure you're not putting some dodgy software on there - if not then it can only be your device

as stated above mine works flawlessly 64gb

One time poster
Message 15 of 104
Message 15 of 104

I'm certainly am happy to know that you have been using a 64GB C10 card without issue...  I would expect that from the EZ for sure... and I wish I wasn't spending my time dealing with all this...  

Not sure what you mean by dodgy software...  All apps I've installed are from the Play store, the usual stuff facebook, skype, dropbox...   a few games of course too...  I have not manually installed any apps on to it or rooted my device or anything like that...

I also have McAfee Security running on it for extra security..

Either way I would not accept that an app could do that to a memory card...  The low-level read-write-delete commands should be completely abstracted from developers anyway to ensure uniform behaviour and security etc...     unless android is so open that a simply badly coded app could destroy the memory card.... 

Genius
Message 16 of 104
Message 16 of 104

so the toasted card won't format in the phone ?

I would uninstall the antivirus program - no need for it

You may have a slight physical tolerence issue, some times these cards (being so thin) can have contact issues in the slot - a layer of tape on the back of the SD can solve it

But if you're not happy doing anything further it's maybe time to take the phone to a service center and explain to them the issue - if it was me I'd be very frustrated right now

Hope it works out

One time poster
Message 17 of 104
Message 17 of 104

No, all three memory cards are completly un-readable in any device...  In fact the EZ doesn't even recognise the card is instered...  If I try to format it, it simply says 'Insert an SD card for mounting"..

When I try to read that card on a computer, the computer says the card needs to be formated...  When I intitiate the format, I get another message saying it can't access the card...  If I try the same thing via a windows DOS command I get 'Error in IOCTL call'...   After googling that error it basically means the computer can't even read the memory at all and it's totally corrupted...

So to re-cap:

Samsung 32GB C10 - corrupted

Another Samsung 32GB C10 - corrupted

SanDisk Ultra 32GB C10 - unstable and unusable (I bet even if this was stable, it would get corruted after a period of use)

Kinston 32GB C4 - corrupted

So at about £20/25 a card...  I'm seriously angry that such a basic feature of a smart phone can be faulty like this...

Will be calling Sony shortly...

Genius
Message 18 of 104
Message 18 of 104

even after format my laptop cannot read my SD card never mind format it and that is using the supplied card interface/adaptor

have you tried the tape idea on the back of the card - I honestly cannot see how the phone itself is damaging these cards - improper dismount may corrupt the data and require a format but if the interface in the phone reader is slightly hit and miss then adding thickness might cure it

The is also an SD format utility you can download to your computer, this might be an option also

something just doesn't add up with this and I'm not saying you have done anything wrong

I wouldn't just give up yet

One time poster
Message 19 of 104
Message 19 of 104

I have the same issue with my Xperia Z... I got a 16gb class 6 sandisk ultra.

Worked fine for about 3 months,but now I keep getting the "memory has been removed unexpectedly" msg .

It also has started to drain the battery more...don't know if there is any connection between those issues...

One time poster
Message 20 of 104
Message 20 of 104

Yes this is the same issue I had with my sanDisk ultra 32GB Class 10....  

As discussed above, this issue MAY be caused by the sanDisk card being just a little too thin so the phone loses contact with it...   I have not tired it but people are saying maybe a bit of tape on one side of the card will increase it's thickness and firmly keep the card in contact with the phone...

I'm more concerned that even if I tried this and it worked, my handset will probably corrupt the card after a few weeks anyway...   It's gone back to Sony repair now and I can't wait for them to tell me that there is nothing wrong with it!