account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

MicroSD 32gb Xperia Z Issue / Question

Rookie
Message 71 of 104
Message 71 of 104

Re: MicroSD 32gb Xperia Z Issue / Question

Bough Xperia Tablet Z several weeks ago and plugged in Kinston Class 10 16gb sd card. Got the dreaded message today and of course the card isn't recognized anymore on any device. Any ideas on restoring the card to a readable state? Got some sensitive data on it (at least I hope I still got it... Slightly frowning Face )
One time poster
Message 72 of 104
Message 72 of 104

Xperia Z has already fried a 64, 32 and 16 gb card (ALL DIFFERENT brands) over 100 dollars. I want a refund on this piece of junk.

Visitor
Message 73 of 104
Message 73 of 104

Well i have the same problem too, i just bought my sony xperia z last week, and it was doing fined when i used it. I have a 32gb HC SanDisk card. That i am already using it on my other phone. When i insert the 32gb sd card, at first was perfectly fined, i open my album, i can see all of my pictures, even the videos andi can listen to my music too.

But after a few days there is something strange on my album. I can't able to see or open my pictures, videos, and others apps in my 32gb sd card. And i check to files, and it was unable too find the picture and videos that inside of 32gb sd card.

Its really frustrating because i have all my important files, apps, picture, videos, and music that i think its already lost..

I know i can still able to recover it, but pls someone can help me on this...
Thanks,

Angelo out
Visitor
Message 74 of 104
Message 74 of 104

I liked the xperia z, but i already disappointed on this phone becauss what it most important of a smartphone is the performance of memory is kinda dropping. .
Message 75 of 104
Message 75 of 104

Here is qoute from someone in thw industry from xda, the issue is the cards:
Ok, this is the status from my investigation:

* I have been in contact (directly or indirectly) with all of the mentioned uSD vendors that I mentioned previously.
* The information I have is confidential under NDA but I can share some details.
* I have sent some phones to the vendors for further investigation and testing of specific use cases.
* I have sent broken uSD card samples to the vendors.
* We have been looking through the schematics of the Xperia Z together with Qualcomm but didn't find any deviation from the reference design in this area.

Result so far: With a change in JellyBean the access to the uSD card was changed. The change means that the uSD is powered on and off much more frequently compared to before. We are talking about thousands of times per day. Why this is a problem, we don't know. But I think all uSD vendors have made some changes in their firmware (inside the uSD) to better handle this new use case.

As far as I understood: If you get a broken uSD card during normal usage in the Xperia Z, the vendor of the uSD will replace your card under warranty. But please note, I'm working with the technical stuff and not with warranty issues.
Message 76 of 104
Message 76 of 104

try an sandisk Mobile ultra SDHCX or w.e it's called i got one of those and it's a 64GB and works great on my xperia z no problems at all Slightly smiling Face

Adviser
Message 77 of 104
Message 77 of 104

I always buy SANDISK, we have a cheaper card now.and it works well for me
Greetings from Jacqueline

One time poster
Message 78 of 104
Message 78 of 104

hi this problem seems to have been escalated some time ago but not fixed. my xperia z has just killed its second memory card in 4 months. the first was a kingston 32gb micro and the second a sony 32gb high capacity that was recomended to be used with the phone. obviously there is an issue with the phones possibly overheating or something that is causing this. is it worth putting the phone in for repair or am i wasting my time /////

Highlighted
Regular
Message 79 of 104
Message 79 of 104

hello

everybody is then just reporting the same issue in different posts.

https://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-Z-ZL-ZR/Sony-Xperia-ZL-SD-Card-Unmounted-Unexpectedly/td-p/322...

https://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-Z-ZL-ZR/Micro-SD-Card-Killed-by-my-Xperia-Z/td-p/402281

https://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-Z-ZL-ZR/MicroSD-32gb-Xperia-Z-Issue-Question/td-p/310246

https://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-Z-ZL-ZR/Xperia-Z-SD-card-killed/td-p/399425

it seems this doesn't depend on th manufacturer of micro SD card,

it's getting worst with the last update of firmware and it's happening more quickly if the size of the card or the files copied on it are big.

really what is the current status at Sony ? are the developpers aware of that bug ?

don't make us believe this is android related , other phones's users don't report this.

then errors or bugs  happen , facing it and resolving it , this is just what SONY XPERIA Z customers are expecting instead of buying expensive big micro SD card or losing data.

thanks for your reply

Learner
Message 80 of 104
Message 80 of 104

XPERIA ZR no longer recognizes micro SD card

Hi everybody,

My recently bought Xperia ZR has a lot of trouble reading the micro sd card (Lexar 32 GB class 10) I purchased to use with it.

After inserting/mounting and just a day of usage, the phone simply unmounted the brandnew card for no apparent reason. It then told me the card was damaged! The ZR couldn't read it anymore, BUT my Mac and other phones (Galaxy Y and S2) still could!

So I contacted the store where I got the phone and they told me to format the sd card and try again. That seemed to do the trick, but yesterday it crashed again. Just out of the blue. I made a couple of movies, watched them for a few times, and now those movies are still on the card (Once more, it IS accessible through computer/other phones), but have a file size of zero bytes! And the ZR once again can't read the card, telling me it's damaged.

Does anyone know what to do? Should I return my phone to the shop or are there any other solutions? Under these circumstances buying another sd card seems to by a big risk.   

Thanks!

MJ