account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

MicroSD 32gb Xperia Z Issue / Question

One time poster
Message 1 of 104
Message 1 of 104

MicroSD 32gb Xperia Z Issue / Question

I have a Sandisk Ultra MicrosdHC 32gb

the first one cannot read after i send my xperia z to service centre I thought that I put it in my wallet for so long and it may have scratch the memory card or something

Just yesterday I have the same problem my Z can't read the memory card it says 'memory has been removed unexpectedly'

both are 32gb you know how much that stuff cost Slightly frowning Face

So is it the xperia z killing the memory card or it is just Sandisk has a stupid quality card?

because i'm scared if i buy another 32gb it will be bricked / can't be use

and that sh!t is expensive.. 3 of that thing I will have enough money to buy a 1TB harddisk

I've already loss 2 cannot afford to lose another one

Please Help!!! Thanks in advance

103 REPLIES 103
One time poster
Message 2 of 104
Message 2 of 104

Re: MicroSD 32gb Xperia Z Issue / Question

Hi,

I am also facing similar issue, I have 32GB micro SD card, the xperia Z phone just disconnects & connects the card, that also drains the battery out Slightly frowning Face

Please Help!!!!

Sony Xperia Support
Message 3 of 104
Message 3 of 104

There are a few threads about this problem and this has been escalated but it's still under investigation.

Would it be possible for you to try another brand of SD-card?

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Highlighted
One time poster
Message 4 of 104
Message 4 of 104

Same issue here.

I have a 32 GB SanDisk Ultra.

It works fine but sometimes, when heavily accessing files, such as scrolling fast pictures in the Album, or accessing the phone from an external app such as AirDroid, it starts mounting and unmounting the card. It must be rebooted to stop, and then it works fine....

One time poster
Message 5 of 104
Message 5 of 104

Personally I have never trusted SanDisk memory, ditched the factory provided one in my S3 and used ADATA

Have used successfully both a 32GB and currently 64GB Kingston Micro SD/XC (Type 10)

http://www.kingston.com/en/company/press?article=6353

Report on "bad" SanDisk

http://www.phonearena.com/news/SanDisk-says-it-produced-some-bad-32GB-and-64GB-microSD-cards_id40986

Plus I believe XDA forums have reported they are generally to thin and don't properly pin connect in a lot of devices. LOL - Android is Google, and Google holds the answers!

One time poster
Message 6 of 104
Message 6 of 104

Interesting...I tried another brand apart from my current SanDisk card and found that it didn't work and causes the phone to get really glitchy...I guess with technology it's a bit hit and miss though =/

How well does your Kingston work? would you recommend it as the 64gb card to get if I were ever in the need for it?

Adept
Message 7 of 104
Message 7 of 104

I'm using 32GB Sandisk Ultra in my Xperia Z since last 1 month & never had any issue with that.

This may not be brand specific.

One time poster
Message 8 of 104
Message 8 of 104

I had been using sandisk 32gb ultra and faced some issues i replaced it with samsung's class 10 32gb and now everything is running smooth

I think sony doesnt like sandisk...Dizzy Face

One time poster
Message 9 of 104
Message 9 of 104

So this issue seems to be a MAJOR issue with the Z... It actually corrupts the memory cards and renders them unusable...

I'll describe my experience...

I used a brand new Samsung C10 32GB micro SD in the phone without any issue then after about 3 weeks, Z reported 'memory has been removed unexpectedly'. After removing the card and trying to re-format via computer.. The computer couldn't even read it.. It reports ERROR IN IOCTL CALL... Basically this means the card has been completely corrupted and no longer usable...

Since it was brand new, I returned it a got a replacement as it may have been just a bad card....

While the replacement arrived I inserted a SanDisk Ultra C10 32GB and this time I experienced the constant 'memory has been removed unexpectedly' and 'preparing memory card' issues many folks have been complaining about... It seems to only happen when there is a lot of data exchange between the phone and SD card... Like when you scroll through your photos etc...

This situation rendered use of the SD card pointless... Even after re-booting/hard re-set and re-format (via phone) same issue occurred...

So when the new Samsung SD card arrived I popped that in and transferred all my data (about 11GB worth of photos and music) it seemed to work fine... But hey presto after about 2 weeks I got the dreaded 'memory has been removed unexpectedly' message... After testing I found that it too has been corrupted and I get the ERROR IN IOCTL when trying to format via a computer... Even low-level disk format would not work... It's been toasted again!

Clearly all this points to a major flaw with the Z... Please note I have taken all available updates and running build number 10.1.A.1.434.

To have 2 brand new genuine memory cards corrupted and major IO issues with SanDisk is just clearly unacceptable in a device like this...

So to answer your question on what brand I would recommend... Who knows because I bet Sony don't even know!

I'm sending my Z back to Sony and I'm hoping they can fix this else it is not fit for purpose as a smart phone.

One time poster
Message 10 of 104
Message 10 of 104

i am having the very same problem the 16gb card works fine, but i cannot get the 32gb verbatim to work either. It does recognise the card but cant see the data or files on it.