account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Want to know more about Xperia 5? To read more about it go here.
If you can't find the answer to your question there please post it here and let the community help you.

Micro SD card failure

AJ
Adviser
Message 1 of 17
Message 1 of 17

Micro SD card failure

Is anyone else having micro SD card failures, I'm onto my 3rd in 5 months. I've have a  scandisk 16gb and Verbatim 32gb both fail. The 1st lasted a month the second for 4 months.

They are in full working order one night , the next morning I unlock the phone and it states SD card error please reformat - when I check the card on a PC it is unreadable.

Any ideas?

Card brand recommendations?

Phone settings / problems?

16 REPLIES 16
AJ
Adviser
Message 2 of 17
Message 2 of 17

Re: Micro SD card failure

Should mention I am now using a Sony SDHC 32GB card, if it fails then I can address the issue with Sony and not get any '3rd party equipment' replies.

Visitor
Message 3 of 17
Message 3 of 17

My card was Kingston and it lasted for 5 months, dying with the same message as yours. I think the problem is with the phone itself, and there was a similar topic I've read earlier. I hope the problem is software (but it's not likely) and I won't have more problems with my new card, and after update.....

UM
Visitor
Message 4 of 17
Message 4 of 17

I have had the exact same issue. 

I ignored the messages for reformating and they came and went periodically. My phone then broke and I had a new one sent out and have tried inserting my old SanDisk 32GB card in but it will not accept it. Neither will my PC. Both ask me to reformat which I do but both fail. Now the message asking me to put in a new card won't go away, so I put one in and its constantly flashing up and interrupting my apps by asking me to reformat it.... which it wont do!!!!! Really annoying but not sure how to resolve?

UM
Visitor
Message 5 of 17
Message 5 of 17

Btw the way I should mention, the new new phone is on the updated operating system and the issue still remains.

AJ
Adviser
Message 6 of 17
Message 6 of 17

I'm 1 month in with the Sony SD card, no problems yet - I guess it just a waiting game to see what happens

AJ
Adviser
Message 7 of 17
Message 7 of 17

28th October and the card has failed - a new record for card frying 

Sony card installed on 6th September so I didn't even get 2 months out of the £20 card - all my music gone again.

Card was fine last night - look at the phone this morning and the card is not just blank - it doesn't exist as far as the phone is concerned

PC won't read it either

Time to speak to sony !!!!!

Message 8 of 17
Message 8 of 17

I'm getting angry about it. I've got a xperia Z tablet and an xperia T smartphone. The tablet already killed 2 32 gig kingston cards in a few months. After only a few days in the smartphone a brand new 16 gig kingston card is completely dead.

Tried several ways to format/mount the card, bit it still remains as dead as a dodo.

Who is responsible, Sandisk or Sony...

AJ
Adviser
Message 9 of 17
Message 9 of 17

I have spoken to Sony tech support, they think there is a fault with my phone and I now have to return it for repair.

I have not returned it as yet as it will not be easy to be without a phone for up to 2 weeks.

I purposely used a Sony SD card last time so only 1 manufacturer is involved.

I will return the phone next week and post updates on here

Highlighted
Inhabitant
Message 10 of 17
Message 10 of 17

I'm afraid that there is no point sending your phone away. I did the same earlier this year. Sony gave me a brand new phone and the same problem happened with the new phone. They refused to replace my £20 micro SD card and the new phone has since corrupted another card.