account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Magnetic Charging Port Is Not Covered By Warranty!!

Learner
Message 1 of 30
Message 1 of 30

Magnetic Charging Port Is Not Covered By Warranty!!

My Sony Xperia Z3 Compact is just one month old and the magnetic charging port is already loose out. I found out that the port is just glue to the battery but not strong enough to properly embeded to the phone. This is obviously a manufacturing issue.

I sent the phone for Sony Care based after I have a chat with the Sony Support and the agent said it should be covered by the warranty. ( Because they charge you for "Handling Fees).

Now Sony want to charge the cost of almost half a new phone just to glue the port back to the phone. This is just ridiculous, is this how Sony warranty operate?

If this is the case, I hope all potential customer stay way from this or pray the phone never to need to be repaired.

Sony.png

29 REPLIES 29
Forum Legend
Message 2 of 30
Message 2 of 30

Re: Magnetic Charging Port Is Not Covered By Warranty!!

Hi and welcome to the community! Since you're new please be sure that you have checked out our Discussion guidelines.

I'm sorry to hear that.
I suggest that you raise this with your local support team for further information about warranty, to check status and how to proceed with this in the best possible way:
http://support.sonymobile.com/global-en/contactUs/

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Highlighted
Adept
Message 3 of 30
Message 3 of 30

Dear Alex, this story sound really strange. I red an italian forum that someone felt into the same problem. They said that glueing the piece back on the frame solved the issue as the charger didn't stop working when they tried to charge the phone by holding still the broken port. Did you tried to charge the phone holding the (broken) magnetic port still?
Learner
Message 4 of 30
Message 4 of 30

The same thing happened to my Z3 last week after having it less than a month!  Since then, i've sent a repair request - still no response - and searched for a solution.  i'm afraid i'll end up with a similar repair quote as Alextcl. The port still works, but needs a little (constant) pressure applied to it to do it's thing.  IF i don't get a positive repair response soon, i was thinking of cleaning out the area of the old adhesive and using an industrial strength marine adhesive/sealant like this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000Y89JC8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AFEJH3YLP5PIV

Thoughts...?

Learner
Message 5 of 30
Message 5 of 30

Please do not send you phone back with the magnetic charging port plate that been fall out, 

Sony refuse to repair the phone for me and I contacted the agent of Sony Care.

I asked why the magnetic port is not been covered and the agent respond that the repair center does not identify it is a manufacturer fault.

I also voiced about the ridiculous cost of the repair and the agent say they will stand by the decision of repair centre without giving me further information about the breakdown of the cost.

I asked why Sony did not document the correct way to use the port and didnt warn user about how they just glue the plate to the phone but not properly embeded to the phone. The agent said all the instruction are in the manual.

My conclusion is that Sony Care is fooling me around and I in deep dissapointment with Sony Mobile.

I have to pay £29 handling fees to return my phone and I received my phone without the falling out magnetic charging port plate. I, for a second think that this is deliberate punishment for consumer.

I have sent another email to request them to give me back my BROKEN magnetic charging port plate so that I can glue it myself, and if I not receiving that, I probably have to escalate this to the right party to claim my right.

So, Please do not send your phone with the magnetic charging port plate back, you likely:
1. wont get it fixed
2. get charged for handling fees

3. lose the falling out magnetic charging port plate

I am very dissapointed with the Sony Care team, this is probably the first and last Sony phone I will have. It is an utlmate unfortune that the phone overall have good features but the customer service is at its worst. 

For a good cause, we need to warn other owner or future buyers about this.

Adept
Message 6 of 30
Message 6 of 30

Thank you for your warning. Those answers from Xperia Care are unacceptable. This should be reported on XDA forum
Commissioner
Message 7 of 30
Message 7 of 30

@Alextcl wrote:

Please do not send you phone back with the magnetic charging port plate that been fall out, 

Sony refuse to repair the phone for me and I contacted the agent of Sony Care.

I asked why the magnetic port is not been covered and the agent respond that the repair center does not identify it is a manufacturer fault.

I also voiced about the ridiculous cost of the repair and the agent say they will stand by the decision of repair centre without giving me further information about the breakdown of the cost.

I asked why Sony did not document the correct way to use the port and didnt warn user about how they just glue the plate to the phone but not properly embeded to the phone. The agent said all the instruction are in the manual.

My conclusion is that Sony Care is fooling me around and I in deep dissapointment with Sony Mobile.

I have to pay £29 handling fees to return my phone and I received my phone without the falling out magnetic charging port plate. I, for a second think that this is deliberate punishment for consumer.

I have sent another email to request them to give me back my BROKEN magnetic charging port plate so that I can glue it myself, and if I not receiving that, I probably have to escalate this to the right party to claim my right.

So, Please do not send your phone with the magnetic charging port plate back, you likely:
1. wont get it fixed
2. get charged for handling fees

3. lose the falling out magnetic charging port plate

I am very dissapointed with the Sony Care team, this is probably the first and last Sony phone I will have. It is an utlmate unfortune that the phone overall have good features but the customer service is at its worst. 

For a good cause, we need to warn other owner or future buyers about this.

hi Alex

I really do feel for you.

It's tricky on forums because you tend to see problems that users have, not in the proportion to all users of that phone... but I just can't help but get the feeling that Sony, as I said in a previous post of my own, will bill you for repairs, unless you can prove beyond any doubt whatsoever that it is their fault.

I think this is grossly short-sighted of Sony as well. It will simply aggravate customers and for the sake of saving on short-term repair costs, they will simply build a negative image for their after-sales support and breed contempt amongst potential repeat customers.

One just feels that a corporation can be benevolent towards customers or they can assume, because they are big, that they can get away with being cold. However, that corporation needs to remember they would literally be nothing without their customers.

I really wish I could help you in some way.

I might suggest speaking to Which - a consumer magazine, who have confronted Sony before about their handsets cracking spontaneously.

This link might be of help with people who have suffered the cracking issue. It also gives you useful information about your rights as a consumer. I think they have a helpline that you can ring too... but you might need to be a subscriber to use their legal services (I think it's about £8 p/month):

http://conversation.which.co.uk/technology/sony-xperia-z-cracking-phone-screen-replacement-repair-wa...

By the way, I've just looked in the main user manual (for the phone) and can find NO instruction regarding the use of the magnetic port. The only time it is even mentioned is on a diagram of the phone, where it shows with the charging port is.

To charge the phone, you are told to use the USB connector and mains adapter.

It just occurred to me - if the port has come unglued within a 'short' period of time, then, to me, Sony CANNOT claim this is wear and tear. The glue bond MUST have been faulty, which means the handset is defective.

The trouble is it looks like you are REALLY going to have to fight with Sony, which takes me back to my point about the choice a corporation has about whether to respect their customers or to treat them with contempt. Just to be clear, I think a company, who doesn't enter into reasonable dialogue about a fault and is not honest about a product potentially failing prematurely, is treating a customer with contempt.

i wish you well and please let us know how you get on.

Regards,

Gary

One time poster
Message 8 of 30
Message 8 of 30

It has also happened to me, after one month. I bought the magnetic charger because I found the flaps very inconvinient and loose. To find that the magnetic port is attached with some glue is not acceptable for a 500+ EUR phone.

After reading messages in this post, I guess I will use some serious glue to fix it myself.

Message 9 of 30
Message 9 of 30

Me too 

i got a replacement phone as it was within 14 days but he replacement started to come out just as quickly.

i stopped using teh magnet charger and just took it out of the case to charge 

Now i have a cracked back glass Anguished Face

Learner
Message 10 of 30
Message 10 of 30

Hi all,

I decided to give the update after receiving my replacement phone today.

It was not a really good experience dealing with Sony Mobile after sales support, they have many different department and also the logistic make it even worst.

So, I was very angry with the repair centre decision for not wanting to cover my repiar underwarranty and sent me incomplete phone parts when I refused to pay the ridiculous fees.

I raise this case to Sony Mobile GB Facebook page, and a representative named Brett, contact me with a PM asking for the repair details. Altought I gave the details but I have gave up on the phone and decided to sell it off at lost. However, Brett replied after a week that they had look into my case and have escaleted the case. They decided to send me a replacement handset after I send mine to the escalation center. I was really surprised by their decision, it was similiar to a different of heaven and **bleep** when you deal with Xperia Care agent and the repair centre.

So, I quickly send my phone to the escalation office address (cost me another 7 quid). After 2 weeks of wait, I have to chase Brett with the Facebook message untill they finally get the repair centre to send out the replacement phone.

I got my parcel few days later, and opened in joyness. But it quickly lead to another dissapoinment when I saw the handset is Black colour instead of white.

I contact Brett again and it was due to the repair centre has run out of stock for the white colour. So, they send their next available phone to me fearing that I might have out of phone for too long...  I wanted my white colour model and again... I have to send it back to Sony. I asked how to send back for replacement and they told me I have to contact Xperia Care. I contact another agent this time and she told me I have to create another repair order for this case.

I was immediatly upset and I knew that I didnt got my phone fix last time and they charged me for so called "Handling fees". After she confirmed they wont charge me again and I send the phone in again...

I got my replacement phone yesterday and yes... I bought the phone on Oct, send for first repair around 8/12/2014 , finally get an usable phone at 7/1/2015.

Hopefully, I am the only customer having such bad luck with their after sale services...
Nevertheless, Brett from Sony Mobile GB Facebook page was really helpful... at least better than Xperia Care agent in my scenario.

I have not use the magnetic port for charging since then, and Magnector X charging adaptor has too strong magnetic field and it pulls the plate out from the phone.