account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

M4 crackling noise randomly and other issues.

Visitor
Message 1 of 8
Message 1 of 8

M4 crackling noise randomly and other issues.

My phone makes a quite scary crackling noise now and again. It isn't over the phone or when playing music or videos but just happens at any random moment whilst I am on my phone. Any solutions?

I am also displeased immensely with the camera, it seems to make pictures look un life like in that foreheads look massive! Also shutter speed is ridiculously slow.

Snapchat app. I have deleted and reinstalled the app twice, made sure everything is upto date and it still will not play the snapchats properly, nor will it play snapchat videos at all.

I, like many others I assume, was massively disappointed by the lack of memory on the device and that 90% of the memory is taken up by the phones system. Having to pay £200 and then buy a separate memory card is ridiculous.

All in all, I regret buying this phone completely and when I rang to trade it in after only a month of having it, I was offered £18.

Please help.

Also, Sony, please stop making new phones if you can't successfully produce a working product in the first place.
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Emperor
Message 2 of 8
Message 2 of 8

Re: M4 crackling noise randomly and other issues.

@Fleur'

Since it doesn't happen all the time, most likely its an app causing this.

Could you post some examples? which camera settings are you using and light conditions?

Snapchat it's not a Sony app, you will have to contact the app developer regarding this bug. 

Memory, there's nothing to say here as you knew at the time of purchase how much memory the phone has, it's not ideal, I agree.

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Visitor
Message 3 of 8
Message 3 of 8

@uliwooly

How can I find what app? I have only downloaded the Sony recommended apps such as Priveldge Plus AND Facebook, Twitter, Spotify, Messenger and Snapchat. 

I couldnt without posting photos of myself or people I know which on a anonymous forum I feel uncomfortable disclosing. The settings haven't been changed from the standard set up. I fear it is to do with the 'fish bowl' type lense or whatever that the phone has. Light conditions vary, but usually average daytime outside natural light. 

What the phone stores do not tell you is that the 8GB included with the phone is taken up by the phone system itself. When I was told it had 8GB I was under the automatic assumption that the 8GB was for me and my photos, apps, music to use up. I feel that advertising a phone to have 8GB free, when it clearly does not, is false advertisement. 

Thankyou for your reply anyway. 

My key issue at the minute is the crackling which does worry me, if I can't fix it I will take it in store, however, I am concerned they won't find a 'bug' of any sort and it will be sent back to me unresolved. 

Did you seriously quote Kurt Cobain there? 

Emperor
Message 4 of 8
Message 4 of 8

@Fleur

To narrow down the issue, boot on >>> safe mode for few hours > and see if you experience the same crackling > if you don't then you know it's a third party, since safe mode will disable third party apps. 

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Commissioner
Message 5 of 8
Message 5 of 8

Hi @Fleur

Welcome to the community.

I would suggest checking to see if these issues are coming from the hardware of the handset.  We have a build in feature called Xperia Diagnostics to help with this.

• Go to Settings > About phone > Diagnostics.
  • Tap Test device.
  • Select the tests for the problematic components
  • Follow the on-screen instructions.

Could you let us know what the results of that are?

Rookie
Message 6 of 8
Message 6 of 8

I have checked all diagnostics and all good...still i have crackling sounds on this M4 Aqua
Rookie
Message 7 of 8
Message 7 of 8

Just deleted app, File commander File Manager..and also briefly placed my phone in safe mode...no crackling sound now it seems
Visitor
Message 8 of 8
Message 8 of 8

Hi. I have a big problem. I bought my Xperia M4 Aqua on December. After a network problem caused by the operator, my phone lost the network for 3 days. When the operator re-establish the situation, my phone started make that crackling sound. And after that sound, the phone shuts down. I removed the SD card, the SIM card, but the phone still do the same. Now when i put the SIM it is not recognized, but works in another phone. Now i don't know what is the problem.

HELP PLEASE