account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Want to know more about Xperia 5? To read more about it go here.
If you can't find the answer to your question there please post it here and let the community help you.

K530i

Regular
Message 1 of 5
Message 1 of 5

K530i

I have question(s) re my trusty old K530i. Does anybody here feel up to it/is knowledgeable about this phone?

Thaknk you.

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Forum Legend
Message 2 of 5
Message 2 of 5

Re: K530i

could you tell us what problem are experiencing with your device?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Learn to take care and troubleshoot your Device here:
Xperia Support by Sony: https://support.sonymobile.com/global-en/
Regular
Message 3 of 5
Message 3 of 5

Thank you for replying! I certainly can; the phone does have internet capabilities and a browser, old though it may be. For a while, after following the (mildly put) complex configuration instructions on my phone operators website I was able to log on and, at least, google some although it took its sweet time.

No more; now after a while it says: 

'The certificate for that website is invalid. Continue anyway?'
I press 'yes'. After a while it says:
'The certificate for that website is invalid. Continue anyway? etc etc.'

Then, when I stop trying, this comes up: Communication error. The secure connection failed.

At one time, I even managed to find where the certificates were stored and, indeed, there were some invalid ones, I simply erased these thinking that I had nothing much to lose . But - no go, the problem persisted.

What gives? What to do?

Afterthought: the phone has had an unnoknown number of users before me. The Data Accounts folder is full of entries I haven't made, the certificates are ancient etc - perhaps I should perform a Master reset/Reset settings to get a 'blank slate' and start anew with the internet connectivity thingy?

Forum Legend
Message 4 of 5
Message 4 of 5

Yes a master reset might fix those problem, however keep in mind that some websites may have caused this due to expired certificates, also try to check if you have set the time and date correctly,. if a website detects that the time in the device is not the same with the time it has it also causes some connectivity problems.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Learn to take care and troubleshoot your Device here:
Xperia Support by Sony: https://support.sonymobile.com/global-en/
Regular
Message 5 of 5
Message 5 of 5

Thanks nolramlb. You say:

'Yes a master reset might fix those problem(s)...'

As I see it that is the only way, as the phone is chock full of (obsolete) data accounts and (also obsolete) internet profiles. As well as expired certificates up the yin-yang.

If it were a PC, I'd nuke the hard drive, repartition, format and reinstall the OS, but here a Master reset of settings seems the only way.

'...however keep in mind that some websites may have caused this due to expired certificates...'

well, what do I do about that? Since I don't know exactly what I'm supposed to do anyway, and nobody else does either, if a reset of settings doesn't also clear/delete the old certificates, I'll do that manually.

'...check if you have set the time and date correctly...' 

Well, the time and date are synced to the net, so thats fine but then you say:

'...if a website detects that the time in the device is not the same with the time it has it also causes some connectivity problems.'

Whaa...there are some 35 time zones across the globe - how do you figure that would work?

http://www.timeanddate.com/time/current-number-time-zones.html#zones