account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Just realized my month old z1 is bent

Rookie
Message 21 of 160
Message 21 of 160

Re: Just realized my month old z1 is bent

IMG-20131110-WA0019.jpg

Rookie
Message 22 of 160
Message 22 of 160

Here you go . I never dropped it or sat on it. The phone just bent like that all of a sudden .I took it to the xperia care centre today and they said I might have to pay for fixing it. The staff said I must have sat on it but I've never put it in my back pocket. 

Regular
Message 23 of 160
Message 23 of 160

Wow! Yours is a lot worse! I know what you mean.. It is too big to even have it in the front pocket while sitting.. I have always left it on the table.. It wouldn't be very comfortable sitting on it in the first place..

Adviser
Message 24 of 160
Message 24 of 160

Ah, Im sorry to play the devils advocate here,

But simply put.. Phones do NOT come like that out of the box, if it did you would of seen it and should of returned it then and there...  If this happened while it was in your possession, Sony has no obligation to be servicing this.. Period... 

Metal does NOT bend as such by it self... Nore could it heat up to cause that without suffering catastrophic damage internal components and display ( generally an issue with the battery causing heat in access of 500 degrees c + ) 

If your phone is bent, if  I would definitely advise you to replace it ASAP. Bent enclosure around the battery could result in battery being punctured and resulting in a thermal event. 

I would however say that asking Sony to  take responsibility for a bent metal frame which occurred after opening the box is utterly idiotic. 

One time poster
Message 25 of 160
Message 25 of 160

Sir,

I had exactly the same issue, it was bent, but may be because of my back pocket, i realized when it was on dock next day and I was shocked to sadness... Anyways I placed it on a thick tempered glass table, pushed it with my hand back to straight, now it's 99.5% back to original, no waterproof seals have been affected, It's working as it was new, only thing is theres a little dent kind of thing remaining above the sim drawer.. Slightly smiling Face you can fix it back, because Sony Xperia z1 does not have a proper CHasis, it is made of soft metal frame.

Moreover check this link for the structure. please be careful next time. mine is fine now Grinning Face

http://www.xperiablog.net/2013/09/15/xperia-z1-disassembly-guide/

Visitor
Message 26 of 160
Message 26 of 160

after seei ng this post, i just noticed my z1 is also slightly bent from upper left side, so little bend that you can only see the bent part clearly when i flip the phone face down, you can clearly see the plastic edge (where the metal and the glass screen meets) disappears where the bend is, while the right side is straight and true... this may be beacause of too much heat while i'm playing HD games for hours, somehow the metal begins to soften as it heats up.. i swear that i didn't sat on my phone neither squeezed in my pocket.. my z1 is 5 weeks old btw.

i'm factory resetting my phone using sony service as i type this, 'cause i'm going to return this phone tomorrow and have it replaced..

to be honest i was disappointed after seeing this post, at the same time thankful that i noticed it on my phone before it got worse..

Apprentice
Message 27 of 160
Message 27 of 160

Nobody is saying that that's how they came out of the box! The point here is that this has happened to 3 people in this thread who say that they never had it in their back pocket. Yes sony has no obligation for servicing this ("period") as you said but yes Sony is responsible if this is happening due to poor construction or for whatever other reason beyond the users control. This is what we need to try and identify here, the reason behind this.

Regular
Message 28 of 160
Message 28 of 160

I didn't even do anything heavy with it. Make calls, text, facebook, twitter.. The usual stuff.. I counted, and I only had it for 3 weeks til i sent it in to Sony, and 1 of those weeks, I practically did not touch the phone at all as I was overseas..

And yes, mine was slightly bent on 1 corner as well..

Sam
Sony Xperia Support
Message 29 of 160
Message 29 of 160

Unfortunately there is almost no way for us to state how the damage occurred to the phones in this thread as you would need to be in possession of the phones for the period since purchase to be able to potentially determine this. I am sorry to hear about the situations here, however given that the frame is made of a rather solid single piece of machined aluminum and as such would require some form of force of pressure to cause it bend like this. With this said I would advise any of you with this problem to have your handset assessed by an authorised repair agent sooner rather than later as this is some severe damage to your phone.

Don't forget to mark posts that answers the topic as Accepted Solution. 
If you find any post helpful, press Kudos.
What are your thoughts about this forum? Let us know by doing this short survey.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Visitor
Message 30 of 160
Message 30 of 160

Just got my new replacement from Sony. ‘turns out that Sony center Philippines Completely ruled out the possibility of owner’s negligence (in my case at least) as they didn’t see any marks indicating that the device had been subjected to force, pressure or accidentally dropped, they actually quick to say that the issue is a factory defect and that they will give me a replacement shortly.. That being said, I am very much happy that Sony is aware of this kind of issue.. ‘guess I have to look closely to every corner of the phone before buying one next time..

Sorry I didn’t post any pictures, I don’t have my camera since I Ditched it and gave it to my girlfriend after getting the z1..