account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

International warranty. Non existent.

Rookie
Message 1 of 14
Message 1 of 14

International warranty. Non existent.

I live in Spain.

In June I bought a wonderful mobile phone from an international brand called Sony , the device is a Z1 Compact and I bought it from an international shop called Amazon. 

The phone came from Germany, but who cares?. Internationally recognized enterprises all over.

The phone got the glass broken without any crash and the display is not working.

Since the device is in Ireland with my daughter now, I simply am in a no man´s land. Irish Sony says Spanish Sony and Spanish Sony says Irish Sony.

As a client I feel completely unatended, and my opinnions about Sony are not very nice, since I cannot understand where lies the problem.

I have paid for a Original Sony device in a legal seller, I have my bill, and I have no practical solution. Irish Sony wants me to send the phone to Spain to be attended. But how can we accept this non sense?. 

Take good note!

13 REPLIES 13
Emperor
Message 2 of 14
Message 2 of 14

Re: International warranty. Non existent.

@burt63

I'm sorry to hear this but indeed there's no international warranty, you will have to send your phone to the original country you purchased the phone, contact Sony directly. 

http://support.sonymobile.com/global-en/contactUs/

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Demigod
Message 3 of 14
Message 3 of 14

If you bought it from Amazon try to contact with them. Under EU laws shop is responsible for the product for two years from the date of the purchase. Let them handle service procedure for you.

Best regards,
Sergio PL

--
Xperia Z3 Compact / Nexus 7 (2012)
Emperor
Message 4 of 14
Message 4 of 14

@SergioPL

Thanks for the heads up Slightly smiling Face 

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Adept
Message 5 of 14
Message 5 of 14

That the first i heard about Sony warranty not been international  and it came as a surprise .

My last Phone was  a Nokia bought on Amazon but came from Hungary    had a  problem with it took it to local Nokia Centre in Uk phone sent off and was replaced  with new one under the European Warranty no problem

Rookie
Message 6 of 14
Message 6 of 14

Thanks. Iam on it right now. 

Sony Xperia Support
Message 7 of 14
Message 7 of 14

Sorry to hear about your phone.

As already mentioned, i'm afraid we don't have international warranty. The warranty is valid in the country/region where the phone was originally sold.

But if the phone was originally sold in Germany it does have warranty in both Spain and Ireland as all 3 countries are members of the EEA (European Economic Area).

If your daughter has any issues with the warranty, please ask her to contact the local support team in Ireland.

She can also refer to the warranty terms here: http://www-support-downloads.sonymobile.com/common/warranty_phones_DE_24_4.pdf (scroll down for english and check page 10 on the english part).

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Rookie
Message 8 of 14
Message 8 of 14

Hi. Thanks a lot for the replies.

As I already said, i have already tried both Irish and Spanish Services and both pushed me back to the other (might be they do not know their compromise?).

The fellow who commented about Amazon was totally right. They are ready to accept the phone as it is and without any question. They will give my money back and keep the unit. (or serve it for dinner, I hope to a Sony Service).

Do not worry Sony, you will not have any other angry client because I will not buy any other of your devices.

Thanks again.

Emperor
Message 9 of 14
Message 9 of 14

@burt63

Do other brands have international warranty? 

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 10 of 14
Message 10 of 14

Burt63: Yes, this is the only way how to deal with SONY - go somewhere else. I wish I had discovered this formu before I bought mine Slightly frowning Face