account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

ITIn-call volume suddenly very low

Highlighted
Apprentice
Message 1 of 10
Message 1 of 10

ITIn-call volume suddenly very low

The in-call volume on my 8 month old Z3 Compact has suddenly gone very low, with no apparant reason (haven't dropped it/damaged it, haven't got it wet). The earphone works fine when I perform a sound test and with the WhatsApp call function, just not with the actual phone app. I can just about hear the other person when inside a quiet room, and it's unusable outside. I've tried factory reset and booting in safe mode, but neither seem to have worked.

Sony want me to send the phone off to a repair place, but I'm worried they will quote me an outrageous price (will this be covered by my insurance?) or I'll have to spend £20 to get my phone back. I've also read forums where people have said their phone has returned in worse condition.

Anyone else had this issue? 

EDIT: I also tried backup/software reset and it didn't seem to work.

9 REPLIES 9
Sony Xperia Support
Message 2 of 10
Message 2 of 10

Re: In-call volume suddenly very low

Hi Juiceboxphantom,

Welcome to the community,

In this case you could back up the handset and  then perform a software on the handset, this may resolve the issue  rather than getting it in for repairs.

Software repair instructions

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Apprentice
Message 3 of 10
Message 3 of 10

I tried that, but it doesn't seem to have worked. 

Sony Xperia Support
Message 4 of 10
Message 4 of 10

Did you use the device without restoring the data first or have you not restored the data?

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

Apprentice
Message 5 of 10
Message 5 of 10

Re: ITIn-call volume suddenly very low

Yeah, I backed it up first and have synced that data back onto the phone. It's also been updated to the latest software.
Sony Xperia Support
Message 6 of 10
Message 6 of 10

Can you try using the handset without restoring the data to the device, this will help determine if the handset is being affected by something on the backed up data.

Apprentice
Message 7 of 10
Message 7 of 10

Hey,

I tried this and it seems to be exactly the same volume (i.e still very low). 

I requested a repair from Sony for my device, but I still have not recieved an email re: packing instructions. 

Sony Xperia Support
Message 8 of 10
Message 8 of 10

Did you contact them via email or via call? if you did via email, then I suggest you call them and advise accordingly. You can use my signature below to find contact details.

Apprentice
Message 9 of 10
Message 9 of 10

I did it through support on the My Sony site. Where you add your serial number and your address and then they email you. I also emailed today saying they never got back to me

I'll give them a ring tomorrow and see what they say over the phone. Hopefully something will get sorted.
Sony Xperia Support
Message 10 of 10
Message 10 of 10

I hope it all works out for you. Keep us updated