account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

I've lost some random contacts, not all contacts

Highlighted
Adviser
Message 1 of 20
Message 1 of 20

I've lost some random contacts, not all contacts

I woke up the other day to some contacts being lost on my phone. This was noticed by Whatsapp showing the contacts phonen number rather than their name, and I checked my contacts list and tehy couldn't be found.

I have restored just the contacts but this has not resolved the issue. The backup I restored was taken a week previously. 

Its very random which contacts are lost. They are some new contacts and some old that I have had in my phone memory since I was on my old iPhone. 

I use the Contacts+ App and its filtered to show All Contacts. Searching for a lost contact doesnt return anything so it's definitely not stored. If I go to the standard Android Contacts app the missing contacts also cannot be found here so its doesnt seem to be a case of them being hidden more that they have been mysteriously lost.

Any ideas please? 

Thanks,

Chloe

19 REPLIES 19
Emperor
Message 2 of 20
Message 2 of 20

Re: I've lost some random contacts, not all contacts

@chloeWest

Are you syncing your contacts with Google? 

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Adviser
Message 3 of 20
Message 3 of 20

Thanks @uliwooly I am syncing contacts with Google. I haven't made any changes to my contacts on Google or my phone. I just woke up and overnight some had gone. When I check Contacts within Gmail they aren't there either.

Sorry I'm relatively new to Android. Any other ideas or suggestions please?
Emperor
Message 4 of 20
Message 4 of 20

@chloeWest

Does anyone has access to your Gmail? because someone could access your Gmail > contacts > edit/delete/add your contacts and they will happen on your phone as well. 

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Sony Xperia Support
Message 5 of 20
Message 5 of 20

Hi ChloeWest,

Welcome to the community,

I know this might sounds irrelevant, however have you tried simply restarting the handset, in the past this has helped resolve the issue for some users. 

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Adviser
Message 6 of 20
Message 6 of 20

Thanks, yes I have restarted a few times and powered off and on. Made no difference

Adviser
Message 7 of 20
Message 7 of 20

Thanks but nope, only me. And it's odd for this to just occur overnight. 

Emperor
Message 8 of 20
Message 8 of 20

try this

settings > apps > all > smartconnect > clear data 

and change your Gmail password. 

@chloeWest

Emperor
Message 9 of 20
Message 9 of 20

@chloeWest

If you want to repair your phone 

PC Companion (PCC)

Bridge (for Mac)

Alternatives on How to backup Xperias

http://talk.sonymobile.com/thread/36355

Adviser
Message 10 of 20
Message 10 of 20

Thanks @Uliwooly, I have already tried restoring a backup using PC Companion, but this doesn't not restore my contacts despite including contacts in my previous backups. Very frustrating!

The contacts cannot be found on either of my Gmail accounts, I have resynced both and refreshed. No avail.

Any other suggestions please?