account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

I HATE MEDIA SERVER! BATTERY DRAINER!

Highlighted
Learner
Message 1 of 27
Message 1 of 27

I HATE MEDIA SERVER! BATTERY DRAINER!

Hi dear support team!! 

PLEASE REPLY!

Just writing to give you some feedback about the MEDIA SERVER process and battery life on my Xperia ZL.

The feedback is that: I HATE IT!! 

It's useless as I believe it manages the media sharing in a local network and updates the media (pics, mp3, etc) that we take or upload to the device.  Doesn't it? 

Can you please TURN IT OFF? Let us choose when we need it instead of having it running all the time uselessly!! 

Please check out the screenshots I provide so you can know better how horrible it looks this issue...  

Please use another method for 4.3 and 4.4.

I hope to see this with the ability to be turned off or something better by 4.4 if not, then I'll trade my ZL for a NOKIA or SAMSUNG and won't buy another SONY, ever again!

I think I won't like to do that... but battery life is not good having such a horrible drainer on it.

You're smarter than me, you're the developers, find another way to make it work. It's not good as it is. 

Thank you for your help and for passing this on to the developers working on the updates, in advance.

- L.

Pd: I'll really appreaciate an answer. I hope I haven't wasted my time elaborating this.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

26 REPLIES 26
Sony Xperia Support
Message 2 of 27
Message 2 of 27

Re: I HATE MEDIA SERVER! BATTERY DRAINER!

The media server application indexes all your media on the phone.

Its common that if you transfer media files to your phone that the power consumption of the media server will go up but only for a short period of time. This is necessary, otherwise app's won't be able to find your newly imported media.

But in your case, since you seem to be having troubles with the media server app constantly consuming battery. I think that you may have a/or several corrupt media files in the phone or on your SD card. Causing the media server app to constantly trying to index files.

Just to do a quick test, try to copy all your important media and other files to your computer then delete them from your phone or do a format on your storage memories and check if you still experience this.

If you don't, the problem is as I suspected a broken or corrupt media file. The hard part is to figure out which one.

Enthusiast
Message 3 of 27
Message 3 of 27

Even its showing 18-20% consumption in my phone n next to screen usage so i guess its pretty high .. this thing should be addressecd to the developers i think we can get alot better battery backup if the medica server consumption is less

Learner
Message 4 of 27
Message 4 of 27

As far as I remember, that annoying process is there since the very first time I got my device. And it's always been this high. I don't have an SD card, I have just some mp3 and pictures I've transferred... This process is malfunctioning. The media that I have is the very same I had in my Motorola Razr i, in which this stupid indexer never showed up in battery consumption records.

Just saying this as a reinforcement for my request to be passed to the developers working on the 4.3, and 4.4 updates. Please.

I'll try what you suggested. But I know even if I delete all my media this problem will persist. Let's see.

Please tell me you'll pass this to the developers add I'm not the only one facing this problem, or, are the other hundreds having problematic media too? This problem is such a shame for Sony.

Thank you for you help. I'll get back with the results.

- L
One time poster
Message 5 of 27
Message 5 of 27

I recently sent my xperia zq for warranty. My phone drained quickly and twice the battery power and then it did not get able to charge it any more. The MEDIA SERVER was the "drainer booster". Something wrong from this app damaged my phone!!! Is crucital get this app fixed... my phone was 2 months old and I beleive that lots of xperia z(q,l) going to be damaged sooner or later!! Update this app!!  

Learner
Message 6 of 27
Message 6 of 27

Thanks for the input!!!!!!!!!! If you could share this thread in the forums you frequent we could make our voices be heard more loudly!!

I hope my ZL doesn't die when it's 2 months old!! It's just one month old right now!!!!!!

Please SONY fix the Media Server cancer!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- L.

Inhabitant
Message 7 of 27
Message 7 of 27

I have media sever on top of my zl's battery usage when I listen to lots of music... But I don't find any media sever consumption on other smart phone even thought how long I listen to music...
Apprentice
Message 8 of 27
Message 8 of 27

So, still no solution??? I am also facing same problem with you. Screenshot_2014-02-19-17-13-25.png

Visitor
Message 9 of 27
Message 9 of 27

Same here Z1Compact unit in Italy - battery drains 1% every 3-4 minutes....

The "MEDIA" program seems to drain 30% of the battery.

!!!  The Xperia care service, in chat, suggested me to RESET the phone through:

Sony PC Companion > Support Zone > Update > Repair.....

Anyone has info about this? 

I don't want to reset all without a reason....

The scary thing is that it's a well known bug from Sony and nevere fixed this...

Sony SHOW YOU CARE ABOUT THIS !!!

I'm still within the 10 days purchase return policy and thinking to return the Z1 Compact and go for Samsung again or Iphone......  

I was a Sony lover (PS3, Vaio, Headphones, Xperia), but Honestly I think it's time to say goodbye... to he brand !!

PS:  For the record I have also a Sony Vaio Fit Notebook with a very well known bug to the WIFI card (check the web) and Sony does not provide any solution. 

Visitor
Message 10 of 27
Message 10 of 27

MY TECH COLLEAGUE FOUND A POSSIBLE SOLUTION ????

My colleague reading the article and the problem suspected that the problem could be generated by some corrupted files in my Pictures/Audio/Video in my storage or some pending download from the store or other service.

He suggested me to:

- Temporary Uninstall all the unecessary apps I'm not using right now

- Delete all the Images/Audio/Video files from the phone

- Kill all the unecessary background processes

- Restart the Phone to Stop any possible pending download

ACTUAL STATUS AND RESULTS:

Model:  Xperia Z1 Compact  Android 4.3

Apps installed and working:

- Email client Exchange in push ON

- Gmail ON

- Whatsapp ON

- Skype ON

- Linkedin ON

- Facebook ON

Configuration:

- Stamina ON

- Wifi upon position ON

- Energy saving ON

PROCESS ACTIVE AFTER REBOOT and 4h of working:

- "MEDIA": DESAPPEARED !!!!

- Screen 32%

- Calls 19%

- Com.sonyericsson,android 18%

- Mobile Standby 5%

- Androyd Syestem 5%

- Phone 4%

-Chrome4%

-Operating Sytem Android3%

- Inactive Phone 3%

- Media Server 2%

Battery performance/Drain:
4h of normal work (phone, browsing, whatsapp, sms, ...)  Battery from 88% to 75%

I will reinstall apps tnight and let you know also the stand by performances.

I hope this helps.

Thanks to my colleague Carlo!!

SONY YOU'RE STILL MISSING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

d