account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

How to transfer existing music library to Xperia without replicating it

Highlighted
Visitor
Message 1 of 7
Message 1 of 7

How to transfer existing music library to Xperia without replicating it

New to Android and am wondering how to transfer my existing MP3 / FLAC collection to my Xperia without having the music transfer tool, e.g. 'Media Go' inadvertantly replicating each music file into its own library... Can't Media Go just copy my collection to my Xperia as it is, without making a copy of it on my PC first? Is a waste of space!

Can I just copy my existing PC music collection straight over to some specific / default music folder in my Xperia (Z2) file system via Windows Explorer? Or would doing such a thing potentially not copy album cover jpgs / GraceNote info etc?

Thanks for advice.

6 REPLIES 6
Genius
Message 2 of 7
Message 2 of 7

Re: How to transfer existing music library to Xperia without replicating it

Hi, the way i have always done it is to just have the SD card only hooked up to my laptop & transfer all the music i want from my laptop to it......insert the card back into my phone & its all there, may be a different way of doing it but this option i found easier for me....

Hope this helps :smileysmileywink:

Visitor
Message 3 of 7
Message 3 of 7

Hi dandy63 thanks for reply!

Just to clarify, do you mean you do your copy via Media Go or via some other tool?

Thanks I will try this...

Genius
Message 4 of 7
Message 4 of 7

I have all my music stored on my laptop....laptop has a slot for my SD card so i basically just copy/paste whatever i want on to the card then put the card back into my Z2, it has always worked best for me...simple/neat way of doing it :smileysmileywink:

Visitor
Message 5 of 7
Message 5 of 7

Brilliant approach. I will do the same.

Thanks heaps.

Genius
Message 6 of 7
Message 6 of 7

Should just show up in the Walkman app within minutes then you have various options in the Walkman menu to play with.....

Let us know how you get on, any problems have a look in SOFTWARE & APPLICATIONS section on the Sony Forum site....there is a Walkman section that is great for certain issues/remedies Slightly smiling Face

Visitor
Message 7 of 7
Message 7 of 7

Thanks dandy63

Actually I just noticed as per Media Go Online Help: http://cagcdn.sonycreativesoftware.com/mediago/webhelp/2.7a/enu/welcome.htm#Dragging_and_Dropping_Me... that if you DO want to use Media Go, you simply drag and drop to the device in the GUI and it won't replicate the files to the Media Go library. Is not very intuitive but does work.

However I still believe the SD card approach is the easiest way.

Cheers.