account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

How to root Jb and ftf file for GB

One time poster
Message 1 of 6
Message 1 of 6

How to root Jb and ftf file for GB

I'm sick and tired of this phone.

ICS was bad and now JB is even worst, I can't answer calls or dial,I almost lost a job opportunity because of that.

I would like to root the device and go back to the only rom that actually worked, and I mean the GB.

Can someone help me and others like me?

5 REPLIES 5
One time poster
Message 2 of 6
Visitor
Message 3 of 6
Message 3 of 6

Re: How to root Jb and ftf file for GB

If you want to simply return to stock GB without root access, then grab the 6.0.B.3.184  FTF (available here and here) and use Flashtool to downgrade it - and take note that you do not have to unlock your bootloader.

If you want to return to stock GB with root access, then things get a little more complex. Since there's still no way of rooting Android 2.3.7 (probably because nobody cares anymore for a dying/dead platform :< ), you'll have to jump through some hoops to achieve it, such as first flashing to ICS (yes, really), rooting, installing ClockworkMod recovery, and performing a two-part flash. Pretty time consuming stuff, but it's the only way to go if you want root in GB for now. Give this post a read for a better idea of the steps, but keep in mind that you will have to substitute the Jelly Bean stuff with the Gingerbread equivalents. You do not have to unlock your bootloader for this either. Don't worry about the post referring to ClockworkMod recovery - the specific one it points to piggybacks off the charging subsystem, so there's no need to unlock the bootloader.

One time poster
Message 4 of 6
Message 4 of 6

Ok 

the first option look good for me.

But if there is no root access on 2.3.7 and i can't use titanium backup, how will i restore my data? is there another way to backup and restore , without using the second method?

Adviser
Message 5 of 6
Message 5 of 6

I run GB 2.3.7 rooted, I found it quite easy to do but you do need to unlock the bootloader.

Instructions here ...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1839865

Note that there appears to be a misprint or something in the list of adb commands given, I use the following ...

adb rootadb shell id (to see if you are root)

adb remount

adb push su /system/xbin/su

adb shell chmod 06755 /system/xbin/su

adb remount

adb install Superuser.apk

Highlighted
Visitor
Message 6 of 6
Message 6 of 6

Titanium Backup requires root to work, so there's no other option for you (and GB 2.3.7 is locked down more than ICS or JB, so restoring backups without root access is out of the question since that was only implemented on ICS+). You might have luck with Sony's backup and restore component in PCC, but I haven't tried that myself.