account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

How stop Upgrade Reminder dialog?

Enthusiast
Message 1 of 8
Message 1 of 8

How stop Upgrade Reminder dialog?

On my Z1 compact (D5503) version 14.5.A.0242 is available for download in the UpdateCentre.

However, I do not want to upgrade from my current firmware version (14.4.A.0.157). I'm happy with how the phone performs right now and neither like the look of Lollipop nor am I keen to experience new problems when I have a perfectly functioning phone right now.

How can I stop the repeated Update notification dialog from appearing?

I have already disabled notifications for "Update Centre" and even "Update service", but the "Update available" dialog keeps reappering, disrupting my use of the phone and I fear that one day I may accidentally confirm with "OK".

I'd be grateful for further ideas. My phone is not rooted.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Message 2 of 8

Re: How stop Upgrade Reminder dialog?

This has been asked before:

https://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-Z3-Compact/hiding-updates-on-kitkat/m-p/969683#M9525

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 3 of 8
Message 3 of 8

@alexdon wrote:

This has been asked before:

https://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-Z3-Compact/hiding-updates-on-kitkat/m-p/969683#M9525

Thanks, but can we agree that

a) the poster of the other thread enquired about a Z3c, whereas I'm asking about an Z1c, and

b) this question has not really been answered yet?

I had disabled Update Center notifications before, but that doesn't stop the dialog from appearing.

As my phone is not rooted, I cannot use the debloater app.

I cannot disable "What's New" either.

I forced stopped "What's New" for now and hope that will make a difference.

I hope Sony is reading this and understands that the availability of updates is much appreciated but that users should not be forced to upgrade and not be pestered about upgrades either. Next to "OK" and "Later", there should be a further option "Ignore" (or similar).

I would accept if no support were available from Sony on anything unless all recent updates have been performed, but a user that has no issues and does not want to invite new issues by updating ("never change a running system") should be allowed to do so.

The most shocking case of forced upgrades are Google Play Services. These get automatically updated (silently!, without requesting permission!), even if automatic updates are turned off in Google Play Store. The only escape is to disable "Google Play Store" altogether, which is a pain, but preferred over Google doing with my purchased hardware what they please.

Forum Legend
Message 4 of 8
Message 4 of 8

If you are running 4.4 then you can use Debloater without being rooted and that is because you are running 4.4

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.   Richard P. Feynman

Enthusiast
Message 5 of 8
Message 5 of 8

@Thommo wrote:

If you are running 4.4 then you can use Debloater without being rooted and that is because you are running 4.4

Oh, wow!

I came across a different "Debloater" before, but the one developed by Gatesjunior at XDA seems to be the one you are recommending.

I will probably give this a try, if the dialog pops up again. Thanks a lot!

Forum Legend
Message 6 of 8
Message 6 of 8

Yes that's the one - Didn't know there was another one unless the one I know of is an updated version

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.   Richard P. Feynman

Visitor
Message 7 of 8
Message 7 of 8

I wholeheartedly agree with Tom Kay's sentiments here!

I'm on my third Sony Xperia mobile (I have a Z3 now) - just startng to use it and I too am fed-up with being relentlessly pestered to install an O/S Update that I don't want. I foolishly installed updates onto my previous two Xperias (a Ray, then an 'M') only to find that good-ole' Sony had bu****erd up the phone by introducing 'improvements' that were retrograde to the previous version, or completely removing features that I liked.

e.g. the text input used to work on very long messages - I use Inkpad Notepad to write short stories while im away from home. After the upgrade this was limited to just a few hundred words. Messed me up completely, and no way back Slightly frowning Face   Also, on both phones, the update removed the dear old 'TV style screen collapse' when you lock the phone. A silly thing I know, but I liked it. There were other things that disappeared too (the screen-grab feature for example). Why take features away ???

In this case (on the Z3), I have opted to not be reminded about the O/S Update again, and the net result is that the O/S Update now sits there on my Lock-screen and in my Status-page, just waiting for me to accidentally hit the OK button and bu****er this thing up yet again. I'll be grateful to anyone who can describe how to get rid of this (without invaludating the warranty).

I apologise if someone has already answered how to disable this (havent read the entire thread yet) but I would welcome an acknowledgment from Sony that their customers should be given the option rather than have this all but forced upon them.

Enthusiast
Message 8 of 8
Message 8 of 8

BrianE: This actually worked for me:

- Choose "Settings" - "Personalize" - "Notifications" and deselect "Update Center".

And I 100% agree with you about the upgrades actually downgrading the phones. Two of my colleagues updated their Z1C and the phones were never like before. Terrible battery life, too many bugs. One was sent for repair and even after that it was not working as good as before. I had HTC and LG before and never had any issues after any update.