account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

How Do We Know If Our Xperia Phone is Bought Brand New (Fresh out of the factory)

Commissioner
Message 1 of 4
Message 1 of 4

How Do We Know If Our Xperia Phone is Bought Brand New (Fresh out of the factory)

Hi,

This came out of curiousity.

I know DSLRs and I can verify if the unit is brand new based on the number of shutter

releases or shutter actuations. So if the DSLR is new, then the shutter count should

be at minimum or at least less than a hundred (hundred reserved for product quality testing).

But for mobile phones, especially with Sony Xperia Go handset, is there a way to

identify if the phone was bought fresh from the factory and was not used elsewhere or as a
display sample handset?

Thanks in advance.

Eljun

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Master
Message 2 of 4
Message 2 of 4

Re: How Do We Know If Our Xperia Phone is Bought Brand New (Fresh out of the factory)

Well, there isn't any equivalent feature like shutter counter on DSLR's, but you can check the IMEI-label on the back (usually) of the phone, where the manufacturing date is stated (for example 11W52).

Also, your retailer should inform you if the device has been used as a display unit or similar.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Commissioner
Message 3 of 4
Message 3 of 4

Re: How Do We Know If Our Xperia Phone is Bought Brand New (Fresh out of the factory)

Thanks Samuel,

The IMEI-label that you mentioned was really helpful.

Please verify what I understood

is the IMEI label on the following format?

yyWww?

yy - year manufactured

ww - week of the year

If so, do you know when the week of the year starts? is week 1 the first

week of  January? The reason I am asking this is because in the company

where I work, fiscal calendar WW starts on the first week of November. :smileygrin:

Master
Message 4 of 4
Message 4 of 4

Yes, that's correct. For example 11W52 is 2011, week number 52 (last week of the year). Next week would be 12W01, 2012, first week of the year.

Week #1 in November sounds really confusing Slightly smiling Face

But just because you buy a phone in June which is manufactured 13W10 doesn't mean it has been used - the phone might just have been ordered early by the store and has been laying around the store shelves for some time.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.