account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Want to know more about Xperia 5? To read more about it go here.
If you can't find the answer to your question there please post it here and let the community help you.

High data usage for Xperia apps and "phantom" clicks

Highlighted
Learner
Message 1 of 11
Message 1 of 11

High data usage for Xperia apps and "phantom" clicks

I've had my X Performance for about a week now, but last weekend the phone started acting pretty weird. It started with my phone randomly clicking the entire screen. This lasted until wednesday. At the time I was somewhere with little to no coverage, basically 3G. When I returned to "civilization", and had 4G and WiFi available the random clicking stopped. While it sounds far fetched that the available network quality is to blame, it's the only difference between the two locations where my phone went haywire and where it didn't.

When returning I started looking through my latest data usage stats and discovered that the apps Xperia Configurator and Xperia Chinese Keyboard uses an absurd amount of data. In the short time I've owned the phone, the Configurator app managed to use 316 MB of background data while the keyboard has used 215 MB of foreground data of all things. Out of curiosity I checked the WiFi usage and saw that keyboard managed to rack up 426 MB of data usage.

Being unable to read and write Chinese, I can guarantee you that I've never activated the keyboard. That said; it's a keyboard, why would it require 641 MB of data transfer over the course of a week? 

Also, I've never used the Configurator app, as it seems to be aimed for business. I don't know if these issues are somehow related, but logically it makes sense that a misbehaving keyboard might affect the screen. If not, maybe someone at Sony could explain the need for using that much data. I for one find it suspicious.

10 REPLIES 10
Emperor
Message 2 of 11
Message 2 of 11

Re: High data usage for Xperia apps and "phantom" clicks

Perhaps it's a third party app causing this

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Learner
Message 3 of 11
Message 3 of 11

While I have considered this, a third party app affecting the data usage of two vendor provided apps seems unlikely. Especially when they are core system apps.

Inhabitant
Message 4 of 11
Message 4 of 11

I have the same clicking problem!!!!?
Learner
Message 5 of 11
Message 5 of 11

Do you have the same weird data usage?

Inhabitant
Message 6 of 11
Message 6 of 11

No I'm not using the default Chinese keyboard,I'm chrooma keyboard
Inhabitant
Message 7 of 11
Message 7 of 11

Did you use put the phone in water or using in the shower?!
Learner
Message 8 of 11
Message 8 of 11

It's not been near water. 

Emperor
Message 9 of 11
Message 9 of 11

@Abduliano17 @chrizmo

boot in >>> safe mode and test it 

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Inhabitant
Message 10 of 11
Message 10 of 11

@chrizmo did you fix it !!i?