account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Hide folder on SD card from gallery

Highlighted
Visitor
Message 1 of 8
Message 1 of 8

Hide folder on SD card from gallery

Hi everyone!

I've installed sygic app and moved its folder to sdcard. After that icons from Sygic app are shown in my gallery and widget.

I added ".nomedia" file to the sygic folder, but icons are still showing in the gallery and in the widget.

Is it possible to hide folders from gallery or just to specify which folders should be shown in the gallery?

Best regards, Evgeny.

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Emperor
Message 2 of 8
Message 2 of 8

Re: Hide folder on SD card from gallery

there isn't

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Highlighted
Message 3 of 8
Message 3 of 8

Try this:

Add the .nomedia file to the Folder and REBOOT.

If that doesn't work then go to Settings -> Apps -> Album -> Clear Data/Cache -> Back -> Media Storage -> Again Clear Data/Cache -> REBOOT!

Highlighted
Visitor
Message 4 of 8
Message 4 of 8

Thank you, clearing Cache of Media Storage app (in addition to clearing cache of the Album app) helped me!

Highlighted
Visitor
Message 5 of 8
Message 5 of 8

To hide a folder, just rename it and add a "." (dot) first.

For eg, to hide a folder named "sygic", rename it to ".sygic"

And u r god to go.

Do not forget to mark the correct and the helpful answers.

Highlighted
Sam
Sony Xperia Support
Message 6 of 8
Message 6 of 8

The only thing to be wary of is that the application creating this folder and files may end up altering this after a reboot so that the files are seen again.

What are your thoughts about this forum? Let us know by doing this short survey.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Highlighted
asd
Rookie
Message 7 of 8
Message 7 of 8

Hi,

I do not think you can rename a folder which a program uses and is expecting to be there.

estarchak,

Did clearing the cache working permanently? I still have problems with the icons appearing.

I have placed .nomedia files in the Sygic and RES and Icons folders. Each time after I clear the cache they are back within 30mins or so (ie after the Android media scanner has finished).

Visitor
Message 8 of 8
Message 8 of 8

For me this didn't work until I cleared cache of Media Storage app.

After clearing Media Storage app cache icons from Sygic do not show any more.