account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

HELP!! Xperia M Blank screen of death!!!

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 17
Message 1 of 17

HELP!! Xperia M Blank screen of death!!!

Well, all this havoc began in the morning after I hit the snooze icon on my Xperia alarm app. The application froze for about half a second, and the screen went blank - I could still see the glow from the backlight though.

I pressed the power button, then put the device on charging, thinking my issue might be caused by a dead battery. This did not rectify my problem.

I removed the battery, with the device still on. and inserted it back after 20 or so seconds. I held the power button till the device vibrated once. The backlight turned on, but the Sony emblem still did not appear. However, Android OS still works perfectly in the background. It plays sound when I toggle between the volume rocker, responds to touch if I touch 'n hold on the home screen via haptic feedback, recieves calls, and the notification LED still blinks. 

It seems to me the device works properly, apart from the screen, which stays black. 

The device was bought in the beginning of November, and was subject to moderate depreciation - mostly for playback of YouTube videos, browsing the web, and playback of music. Needless to say, it has never been dropped.

What could this problem be caused by? Could it be a firmware glitch, or a loose connector (I hope so!!), a damaged LCD, or graphics processing unit? 

It was a great phone available at an affordable price point, possessing the features found only in high end handsets. 

Having owned several Sony products since they released their Wega television, this is the only one that troubled me. A quick visit to Google revealed the disturbing fact many Xperia Z, ZU users experienced this flaw. 

Please help me and reply promptly! Really freaked me out when I found out the screen won't display anything. This issue has made me loose all credibility for Sony Xperia  I e-mailed Xperia Support a while ago, but won't be expecting a prompt reply. I really LOVED this phone, and want to get it working asap!

Thanks a lot in advance! !!

P.S. If I have to visit the Sony Service Center, I might plan to refund this phone, and buy another model. Please tell me which model I should choose.

"Sony Bravia Engine is to Xperia owners what VTEC is to Honda Civic owners"
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
Message 2 of 17

Re: HELP!! Xperia M Blank screen of death!!!

try reparing with pcc or sus,,

if it doesnt work take it to service centre.....because my old xperia mini got the problem...and they said it the board complaint..and if it is under warranty we will do for free .it no it charge you 3 to 5 thousand...depends on the problem....first try reparing with pcc or sus.....

and the repair of your mobile if it is a board complaint..takes 3 to 4 days!!!!

Enthusiast
Message 3 of 17
Message 3 of 17

Thanks for responding! Sorry to know you had to go through the trouble of replacing the motherboard. Yes, I performed the PCC repair today, but to no success.Slightly frowning Face 

I will take it to the service centre sometime. 

Shame to know many Xperia sets are suffering from this issue.... Thank goodness I did not waste 600 bucks on a Xperia Z!! Nauseated Face

Message 4 of 17
Message 4 of 17

Dont worry thats a minor mistake for some phones

If answered please give kudos and mark answer !!!

One time poster
Message 5 of 17
Message 5 of 17

Hi I need help my sony xpera m has got the blank screen of death touch screen works and I can music just the screen is black can anybody help or even what to am pulling me hair out any help would be greatful
Enthusiast
Message 6 of 17
Message 6 of 17

Dear mate, I have the identical problem. I have been unable to drop it off at their service center because I am too busy during the week, and when I did, they asked me to get the **bleep** warranty card stamped from the sales retailer, which was located 30 kms away from the service center. There is nothing we can do. I updated the firmware through PCC, but to no avail. Can't believe Sony has manufactured something sooooo unreliable. If this issue doesn't fix it self, I will stick to an ordinary dumbphone, and purchase an Android tablet.

Visitor
Message 7 of 17
Message 7 of 17

Its geting beyond the joke with sony phones ill loved sony but now i hear so many faults with sony am thinking of going back to samsung an less sony get there act together plesase sony help your loyal customers !!
Visitor
Message 8 of 17
Message 8 of 17

Think its time for samsung sony dont care about there customers ever sence sony left ericsson they have gone down hill buggy time sony wake up we want a phone thats wont break down
Enthusiast
Message 9 of 17
Message 9 of 17

Certainly agree with you. Ever since I purchased this phone, I have only faced hardware/software issues. The OS is laggy, battery gets super hot during normal use at lowest brightness, and the 5 MP HD camera's quality doesn't get any better than a Samsung Galaxy Y's 2 MP fixed focus camera. I have owned an Xperia Play - perhaps the last phone manufactured by Sony Ericsson. It was smooth, super long battery life, and had an amazing camera. PS what phone shall I buy next? I am interested in a handset in the same price range as the Xperia M.

One time poster
Message 10 of 17
Message 10 of 17

Hi, has your screen blanking issue been resolved. I am having the same issue with my Sony Xperia C mobile. I tried updating to the new firmware as well, no use. The sim is working, I could hear calls coming but not even pick the calls as there is no button to pick the call as well. Slightly frowning Face

Really bad mobile from Sony. For such an price the internal memory for apps is very low. After I had bought there was an initial problem of screen going blank while receiving calls, you cannot do anything or even disconnect the call. This problem was resolved with the one of the update.

I think I have to visit the service centre now. Slightly frowning Face

Thanks,

Viv