account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

General questions ... predictive text, email signature, editing photos, sounds, apps ...

Highlighted
Inhabitant
Message 1 of 12
Message 1 of 12

General questions ... predictive text, email signature, editing photos, sounds, apps ...

Please excuse my ignorance having come over from the dark side (iPhone) I'm only a 2 day old android user and am finding the settings a little sparse & also a little daunting.  Could someone please tell me how / if I can :-

1) turn off predictive text on SMS

2) change 'sent from my sony xperia smartphone' at the bottom of my emails

3) edit photos

4) do i need half the sony / xperia apps that come with the phone

5) turn off the opening camera sound

6) is there a quick way to switch the phone into silent mode 

7) do i need to back up my phone to sony pc companion 

Apologies if some of the questions seem daft but I feel like I've been going round in circles trying to find solutions to these.

I've found how to get to the widgets on the front screen and the quick menu at the top but are there any other hidden things like that?

Thanks for your patience guys Flushed Face

11 REPLIES 11
Sage
Message 2 of 12
Message 2 of 12

Re: General questions ... predictive text, email signature, editing photos, sounds, apps ...

Welcome to the bright side Winking Face

1) turn off predictive text on SMS

Settings -> Language & input -> Xperia keyboard (tap the little tools icon right to it) -> Text input settings -> Word suggestions

Then pick whatever behavior you feel is best for you Slightly smiling Face

2) change 'sent from my sony xperia smartphone' at the bottom of my emails

Depends on what email client u use, generally you can find that footer in options of each application you use (options are usually on the top-right or bottom right corner of the screen, 3 dots vertically)

3) edit photos

- pick a photo with the Album app 

- if there are no options already tap on the screen, options will show up

- on the right bottom you will find 3 icons - a star, a pencil and a trash.

- The second icon (with this pencil) opens photo editor. Tap on it, then select one of two programs you can edit the photo with.

- don't forget to save your changes, and don't worry - the original photo won't be overwritten.

4) do i need half the sony / xperia apps that come with the phone

Again - depends. What apps and what do you mean you need them? For example - Xperia comes with dedicated Facebook extensions, If you don't use facebook, turn it off along with the extensions Slightly smiling Face Pretty much like any other app.

5) turn off the opening camera sound

I don't think you can if you turn it on with the dedicated shutter button. You can still use options in the camera (3 dots) to disable all other sounds (focus, shutter). If you turn on the camera by a widget or from the launcher, it won't make a sound.

6) is there a quick way to switch the phone into silent mode 

4 ways ways actually:

1. Press and hold volume down button until it vibrates, you will see what it does

2. Press and hold power button, tap the silent mode you want (vibrating/completely silent)

3. Pull down the notification area, tap on the first quick-setting option (with the speaker) to cycle through all modes

4. Add a dedicated homescreen widget: long-tap on the homescreen, pick widgets (bottom of the screen), then find "Tools" there (slide this bottom list to the left), tap it, and pick a tool called "Sound". It works the same way as the option from previous method.

7) do i need to back up my phone to sony pc companion 

Generally there are 2 kinds of people on the world. Those who make backups, and those, who are going to do backups one day. So.. depends on what kind you are Winking Face (no - seriously, it's always a good idea to have a backup, you never know)

I hope I helped a little bit.

----------
When everything have failed already, try to read the manual.
Kudos mean I am helpful. Am I for you? Then support me back Slightly smiling Face

One time poster
Message 3 of 12
Message 3 of 12

Re: General questions ... predictive text, email signature, editing photos, sounds, apps ...

Sony
Inhabitant
Message 4 of 12
Message 4 of 12

Wow! THANK YOU!! Super helpful and it made my hubby laugh as all he kept hearing me say is 'ooh, ooooh, ahhh, oooooh' with each resolution I tried hahaha.

One question though in relatation to the pre-loaded apps.  What do you mean if you don't use an app just turn it off along with the extensions and also how do I do that?  Is there also anything I SHOULDN'T turn off?

Sage
Message 5 of 12
Message 5 of 12

Android is generally an operating system that is designed to let you do what you want, not what it wants. There are many limitations on iOS, you won't find them here. Stock android have many preinstalled apps, but most of them you can disable or uninstall if you don't need them. At general, however, if an app is a critical one to keep the OS functional, it won't let you uninstall it and sometimes even turn it off.

But let's say you don't use Twitter or Facebook. Both apps are included out of the box, they generally don't make your life with the phone any harder, but they are there anyway. They are main Apps. You can see it, for example, in the Album app. There are visible options to share a photo on facebook, twitter, flckr, you name it. These are extensions to those main apps, Flckr, Facebook or Twitter.

You can disable almost any program in the settings. But disabling only a main app sometimes doesn't kill the app in the whole, because it's extensions still works somewhere in the background.

That's why I said you can disable an app and its extension.

Go there: Settings -> Apps

You will se a list, not long one, of apps installed on the phone. If you slide this list to the left, on the next panel you will see apps that you downloaded (or are removable like they were downloaded). Those you can't disable, but it's better - you can still uninstall them. Tap on some app there and you will see 2 buttons - to force stop this app or just uninstall it.

If you slide further to the left, you'll eventually end up on the last list called "All" (all apps). This list is quite big one. Try to find there app called "Facebook" (they are sorted alphabetically). If you tap on it, you will see "Disable" button in the place where downloaded apps have an "uninstall" button. You can safely disable this app. Then go back and find another apps called like this:

- Xperia Social Engine Photos (facebook icon)

- Xperia Music Likes (same FB icon)

- Xperia with Facebook (same all icon)

Those are extensions. You can stop them and disable them the same way to get rid of them. If you disable those extensions along with the main app, they will disappear from album, from launcher and from any widget list they might be.

If you decide some day you want to turn them on, just go there and enable them back.

Just keep in mind that Android most likely let you do to him almost whatever you want (except what could permanently damage it), but going around and disabling everything you don't know and therefore think you don't need, could potentially end up with unstable system, so disable, but with a little caution. Like don't do that to the Contacts or Phone app, you know why Winking Face

I'm glad I helped you Slightly smiling Face and I hope you enjoy the new phone! Slightly smiling Face

----------
Kudos mean I am helpful. Am I for you? Then support me back Slightly smiling Face

Sage
Message 6 of 12
Message 6 of 12

And BTW:

http://www-support-downloads.sonymobile.com/c6902/userguide_EN_C6902-C6903-C6906_1_Android4.2.pdf

this should keep you entertained for a while Winking Face

oh.. and sorry for my bad English, it's not my primary language so.. I do my best but I never had a chance to learn it at school Face with stuck-out Tongue & winking Eye so forgive me any errors I make Face with stuck-out Tongue & winking Eye

----------

Inhabitant
Message 7 of 12
Message 7 of 12

I like the way you reply, it's what I call IP (idiot proof LOL) and that's basically how I need it all explained haha (so thank you).  Your English is very good - I can understand what you are saying perfectly.

Oooh a 165 page user manual -- you're right that will keep me entertained :smileysmileythumbsup:

But typically the very first app I come to 'disable' is Google Play Magazines and it said 'If you disable a built in app other apps may misbehave and your data will also be deleted' I said yep that's OK but then the next screen said 'do you want to replace this app with the factory version'?!?  Huh??  I have the option of 'cancel' and 'ok' -- do i go ahead and click OK?

PS Am loving the phone already!  It's been in my fishtank too (which was pretty hair raising stuff for me and fin raising stuff for the fish haha).

Sage
Message 8 of 12
Message 8 of 12

Sure, go ahead and disable. This is a normal warning, common to all apps that you actually can disable anyway. It just means "You've been warned.." Winking Face

Oh, and this "factory version" means you can disable the app if you uninstall all it's updates first. Don't worry, you can always get the updates again from Play Store if you decide to enable the app back. Nothing to be afraid of.

Get some USB OTG cable (few bucks, no cost at all). This phone have built in USB host so you can connect pretty much everything to it - flash drive, USB mouse, keyboard, external hard drive, card reader, digital camera... you name it Grinning Face and even charge some devices the same way like from the computer's USB port Winking Face (like bluetooth headsets - if they die on you, connect them to the USB of your phone and charge them up Winking Face )

----------

Inhabitant
Message 9 of 12
Message 9 of 12

Again thank you for such a fab reply -- you're a credit to this forum :smileysmileythumbsup:

Sage
Message 10 of 12
Message 10 of 12

You are welcome Slightly smiling Face

And.. thanks, it is good to hear that Slightly smiling Face

----------