account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

GPS issue

Adept
Message 41 of 49
Message 41 of 49

Re: GPS issue

Same issue here. I own Xperia Z3 Compact from December 2014. Got all updates, GPS was working fine.

But 2 days ago it started - GPS can not get a fix. Phone diagnostics show "Starting GPS failed".

Seems that GPS service can't start or module is defective.

Tried resetting GPS, no luck. GPS test app shows many satellites in view, but 0 in use.

Firmware in phone is 23.1.A.1.28

Today, tried to use GPS in a car - it works, but erratically. Misses location from time to time.

UPDATE:

It only works in car when connected to car charger (also from Sony). Go figure...

Apprentice
Message 42 of 49
Message 42 of 49

I broke my screen (+digitizer), and sent it back to my dealer, who in turn says that he sent it to Sony for repairing. I mentioned that my GPS was still malfunctioning, and that I would like them to have that checked as well when they would open the device to replace the screen...

after some time I received my phone back, with the message that it would be 'uneconomic to perform the repair', but without any cost estimate...

I searched a bit, and found a replacement screen + digitizer for 99.75€ (ex VAT), and did the job myself in about 1.5h. It seems to me that this would be economic enough for me to justify the repair...

So now I have my phone back up and running, but still without my GPS... as it seems that more and more users are having this type of problem, I assume that it is a sensitivity in the production of this batch of phones. So it would be up to Sony to reach out and tell what is going wrong...

Cio
Rookie
Message 43 of 49
Message 43 of 49

Re: GPS issue SOLVED!!! (me thinks)

Okay guys... my GPS is working again!!!

Well it is more of an accident...

I was thinking I had no choice now but send this phone off to Sony Support for repair. This morning, while sat on the side of an open tennis court, I thought before I send this off on Monday I'll check the sim card, so I took the sim card out to check how small it is again. When I pulled the sim card out WHILE IT WAS SWITCHED ON, the phone automatically restarted, and when I put it back in, it restarted again. Hoping that those two restarts and the "sim pull" has done some sort of a miracle (because I really don't want to send this off to Sony who's  been unhelpful), I opened the GPS test app. Still "No Fix", 21 satellites in view, 0 in use..... then after about two minutes 1 in use, then 2, then 3.

I immediately tried Google Maps and used the sat nav on the way to the cinema, but after about 3 minutes, I heard the dreaded "GPS signal lost"!

Getting the "GPS 3D Fix" again for the first time in months, although shortlived, gave me the will to keep trying, so I did the above procedure of taking the sim out-restart-sim in-restart six times, and wiping the sim card in between, and presto!!! Now it's working again!!! Now it just takes about 5 seconds and I get a fix!

Try it guys it worked for me, it could work for you. Maybe try this outside, or maybe try using a different sim card if you have one. Try any other variation. I can't believe how simple it was! Or maybe I just got lucky!

One time poster
Message 44 of 49
Message 44 of 49

I also suffering GPS issue with My xperiza C3 after got it two month,always can searched the satellite 20,but can't fix any ,can't use navigation app,can't track the running ,have gone to local Sony support center two times ,one time is upgrate android system,one time is return to factory ,but both no satisfactory result.

Finally I open real conver myself ,and find the GPS contactor ,and solder a wire at the GPS contactor ,this have solved my GPS problem ,always can fix 9-10 satellite normally ,sometimes can fix 13 satellite.

Although different sony handset model,but this really worked for me ,I would like share this for all reference .IMG_60132.jpg
IMG_7828.jpg

2015-06-26-13-54-21.jpg

Highlighted
Adept
Message 45 of 49
Message 45 of 49

My phone is back from service. They changed motherboard and replaced battery. GPS works again.

Rookie
Message 46 of 49
Message 46 of 49

Re: problem with gps

Add "My EE" app from EE UK operator to the list.

When I open the app it turns GPS on, and when closing the app, GPS icon stays on (though not using battery according to power management check). the only way to get rid of the icon is restarting every time.

Anyone knows how to prevent an app from using GPS? maybe this would solve the issue, given it is not necessary for this app.

Thanks!

Rookie
Message 47 of 49
Message 47 of 49

09.28 nothing changed... GPS still not working
Visitor
Message 48 of 49
Message 48 of 49

I too have gps issues here. According to gps test, it gets the fix, but in all apps except google maps it looses it all the time when i switch over to them or when the screen is locked, and some apps fail to get a fix completely or take too long, rendering gps more or less useless... Its a mess - it worked great on kitkat though - sony needs to address these issues asap!

Learner
Message 49 of 49
Message 49 of 49

Thank you ClientEw! It worked! I cannot believe it worked.

But, what is wrong with the android? I have had this GPS problem since I bought z3 and after 6months it is fixed turning off/on. I don't know how long it will work but Sony should step up and fix this..