account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Focus and exposure lock - missing features

Highlighted
MVC
Adept
Message 1 of 14
Message 1 of 14

Focus and exposure lock - missing features

I bought the Z2 for it's video camera capabilities and also ordered the STM10 (which hasn't shipped in the UK yet).

I'm very surprised to find that there is no AE or AF lock on the Z2 for video.

In video mode the camera is almost un-usable because the AF hunts around like crazy even in decent light.

It's possible to work around the AE (to be fair it's pretty good) but not the AF.

Surely this could be implemented without too much effort?

13 REPLIES 13
Apprentice
Message 2 of 14
Message 2 of 14

Re: Focus and exposure lock - missing features

I agree, for all it's technical accomplishments, and boasted photographic capabilities, I'm struggling to find the logic in allowing the camera to full time decide on what to be in focus during video recording, without option to lock your focus/select your focus point during recording.

The only feature close to 'touch to focus' (similair in to the Galaxy S range and iPhone) while video recording is the 'object tracking' focus mode in the manual camera. But even that is not a manual option because the camera often mistracks the object in the case of moving subjects. 

One time poster
Message 3 of 14
Message 3 of 14

To solve the AE/AF locking problem I have downloaded Cinema fv-5 app from https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.flavionet.android.cinema.pro&hl=en Now the AE/AF work fine except for the Stabilizer which is not supported..
MVC
Adept
Message 4 of 14
Message 4 of 14

Cinema FV5 is indeed a good app. I bought it.

As you note it does support image stabilisation. Nor does it do 4k or saving to the SD card (unless rooted).

The developer has explained why he can't access and enable certain features and with recent builds has implemented workarounds for rooted devices.

The Z2 is also picky about what external mics will work. iRig Pro with any mic is OK but Rode Smartlav+ doesn't work. The STM10 eventually arrived and sadly is useless for anything except when recording extremely loud sounds.
MVC
Adept
Message 5 of 14
Message 5 of 14

Correction - doesn't support IS (typo).
Apprentice
Message 6 of 14
Message 6 of 14

I agree with the 3rd party camera solution but it's slow, and painful to watch a great camera module work like it's tech from 5 years ago.

Plus I wouldn't want to augment a feature that should already be in a flagship device such as the Z2.

Enthusiast
Message 7 of 14
Message 7 of 14

Same problem here. When trying to make a timeshift video, the autofocus keeps pumping all the time. The resulting videos are useless.
Any 3rd party timeshift video app out there that'll do the job?

Apprentice
Message 8 of 14
Message 8 of 14

It would make no difference since 3rd party apps are working off the existing camera software. The focus hopping would still be an issue.
Enthusiast
Message 9 of 14
Message 9 of 14

What about the Cyber-Shot camera mod by Rizal Lovins? Would it help this issue? The mod requires unlocking the bootloader and that's something I don't want to do if I weren't sure it would help.

I'm in a situation where i NEED to have timeshift videos done and the stock camera app just doesn't do that. I don't care if unlocking the bootloader voids the warranty, I NEED those videos. I just don't want to unlock it for nothing.

Apprentice
Message 10 of 14
Message 10 of 14

If you are referring to the mod here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=52568494

There is no mention of focus locking. 

Also, the camera overheats in an unreasonable amount of time, which makes timeshift video only useful for quick moments. 

I'm hoping the updated software supplied with the Xperia Z3 makes it's way to the Z2.