account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

Features for the next Xperia flagship

Forum Legend
Message 1 of 8
Message 1 of 8

1. ) Dual core processor or if SE feels fancy Quad-Core (a variant of the Samsung Galaxy SII might come with 1.8GHz Dual-core)
  2. ) 1GB RAM ((a variant of the Samsung Galaxy SII might come with 2GB of RAM. 512 it’s ok but not enough for multitasking and videogames)
  3. ) Front facing camera (it doesn’t make sense that the second Xperia generation have front-facing camera but not the Arc/flagship)
  4. ) Perhaps 16mp camera w/o the compression rate issues (a variant of the Samsung Galaxy SII might come with 12mp sensor)
  5. ) Dock, it’ll be great if for now on, SE can have a default configuration, just for the HDMI and Micro USB connectors on all phones, or at least include a Dock with the flagship phone (the phones are expensive as it is)

UI, apps, etc

Homescreen:

1. ) Portrait-Landscape
  2. ) Pinch with two fingers it’s great as it is
  3. ) Pinch with 3 fingers would be a great feature/shortcut if this does the same as long-press the HOME button, now that will be real multitask.
  4. ) Pinch with 3 fingers on all apps (read above) or at least the preloaded apps/settings/menus
  5. ) 5 screens seem fine with me but some people prefer fewer or even more, it’ll be great
  6. ) I still like this feature from this link ( http://www.viddler.com/simple/f8530dbc 3:49.  The way the video stops and you can go back to the exact frame and it keeps playing in the background while peeking at other apps or the home menu etc.) minute 3:49.

Messaging app

1. ) It’ll be great to have a messaging app like Gtalk that you can change to different conversations w/o having to press BACK or drag down the notification bar
  2. ) Since it load all the messages in a conversation, after certain amount the app starts lagging and not just the app but the phone itself, I can’t believe i-rivals got it right Dizzy Face (only that feature)

Camera

I like that we can take pictures quite fast but

1. ) I still want a Burst mode
  2. ) Fix the compression on pix/vids
  3. ) Audio its really bad when you try to record something like in a concert
  4. ) The camera it’s fast once its open, but it takes a while to get the camera up and running, so if that can be fixed it’ll be great (Saturday I was using my Arc I saw some shooting stars, by the time the camera app was open and ready to take a pic/vid it was all over)
  5. ) 1080p video recording will be great and I think higher resolution than that will always be welcome
  6. ) 3D sweep panorama it’s great, it needs some improvements, a menu will be nice to change the angles you want to sweep not just preset to 270degrees, either by presetting the approx angle or even better just as you stop moving it will stop the sweep w/o errors or gray areas)
  7. ) 3D sweep panorama on multiple directions just like regular Sweep Panorama again with the suggestions above
  8. ) switching between front and back camera will be great, while using skype or while recording, this is a way I could use it: lets say you are at a concert and you are recording part of the video and then you want to record yourself w/o having to move the phone around to you, it’ll be great just to switch between cameras so you can have a more fluid video.

Pre-loaded apps.

I know SE prefer that users won’t root nor unlock the bootloader, it’ll be great if SE doesn’t pre-load (at least with SIM FREE phones) apps like let’s golf, news & weather, etc) or if they are pre-loaded allow us remove them w/o having to root or unlock the bootloader.

Phone

Since the phonebook it’s heavily integrated, it’s quite difficult to find a replacement on the market

1. ) Add a way to arrange contacts by name, last name, nick name, etc (I won’t use this feature but I know there has been a lot of requests)
  2. ) If we do sync with Facebook don’t set a low –res over pixilated contact picture on the background, how hard can it be to get the real size picture/resolution to have under contacts info or when you call someone not just a blur

Gallery App

The Gallery App it’s great but:

1. ) It takes too long to load the albums
  2. ) It takes too long to load the pictures (once you open the camera album)
  3. ) It takes too long to load the picture to flip through them
  4. ) A great feature will be to select specific albums that we want to be displayed/shown either on the SD camera and/or picasa, facebook, etc.

Ambient sensor

A WORKING light sensor will be more than welcome not just for the new phones but the current lineup

Larger screen

Arc's 4.3in
4.6in5in
5in

16:9 ratio16:10 ratio16:9 ratio16:10 ratio16:9 ratio
Width3.753.94.014.244.36
Height2.112.442.252.652.45

If the screen is side to side, it won’t make the phone wider than the Arc

7 REPLIES 7
Unregistered user
Not applicable
Message 2 of 8
Message 2 of 8

Re: Features for the next Xperia flagship

Good suggestions but also need to ensure good build quality too.

In general with regards to the hardware specifications, I am sure that would probably be the easiest part for SE to adopt. They just have to source them from whoever is producing them.

With the apps and OS firmware stuff, it will be I suppose a bit more effort involved to ensure application stability, SW<-->HW interaction stability, etc.

Gut feeling, unless SE's top management decides that they want to have their brand always to be at the forefront of phone technologies, it will be always behind its Android competitors like Samsung, HTC and LG by a generation or more.

The R&D investment needs to be increased dramatically for SE to be at the fore front of phone technologies. Of course it will all come down to whether the SE management board is willing to invest those large sums of money when in the last decade or so SE has only made a profit(slim one) two or three times only.

Unfortunately for SE, their competitors like Samsung have access to large funds and their market share is increasing each year.

SE should by now realise that people want the latest technologies and are willing to pay for them if they are reliable. even if it cost a bit more. eg. the Samsung Galaxy S2, iPhone phones cost more that the SE flagships and still Samsung is struggling at time to make enough of them to satisfy the demand and Apple can't sell enough of their iPhones. Even the pre-orders of the imminent iPhone 4S is already more than 1 million in the first 24 hours since pre-orders were opened to the public.

I have also spoken to phone retailers, and they have told me if they have to choose between SE or Samsung, they will choose Samsung as they sell much much more Samsung phones ==> more profit for them.

You can indirectly judge the popularity of the a certain phone by looking at the range of phone covers available. Companies making these covers need to decide which phone will bring them most sales.

Hence when you look around, you see many types of phone covers for the iPhone and recently the Samsung Galaxy phones.

I am still a SE fan. I just thought this feedback could be passed on to the SE management board.

I want SE to continue to be a phone manufacturer.

Forum Legend
Message 3 of 8
Message 3 of 8

Forum Legend
Message 4 of 8
Message 4 of 8

up

Visitor
Message 5 of 8
Message 5 of 8

The game is changing fast Uli. So SE need to adapt accordingly. Nobody is standing still except SE.

Forum Legend
Message 6 of 8
Message 6 of 8

the new Quad Core phones are ready to hit the market by the time SE release the Xperia Duo

Forum Legend
Message 7 of 8
Message 7 of 8

LT26 NozomiLT22 Nypon
ST25 Kumquat

1.5GHz Dual Core

1GB RAM

32GB ROM

1GHz Dual Core

1GB RAM

16GB ROM

1GHz Dual Core

4.3in Reality Display w/ Bravia Engine

HD720p (720 x 1280)

4in Reality Display w/ Bravia Engine

aHD Resolution & WhiteMagic Display

3.5in Reality display w/ Bravia Engine

12mp camera w/ Exmor R

1080p HD video recording

720p HD front camera

8mp camera w/ Exmor R

1080p HD video recording

720p HD front camera

5mp camera w/ Exmor R

720p HD video recording

Android 2.3.... will be upgrade to 4.0....

Battery 1750mAh

Battery 1320mAh

Battery ...mAh

High End (Arc/ArcS)Mid (Pro, Neo)Low (xperia mini/pro)

Dual Core 1.5-2.0Ghz Core

(quad core wouldn't hurt)

HSPA+ & LTE compatible (world phone)

Single Core 1.6Ghz or Dual 1Ghz Core

Single Core 1.5Ghz core

1.5-2GB RAM1GB RAM1GB RAM
Gorilla Glass/Dragon TrailGorilla Glass/Dragon TrailScratch resistant film

4.5-5in LED/OLED/Super AMOLED

side to side screen

so the phone itself won't be bigger than the Xperia Arc

4 - 4.3in LCD/LED/OLED3.5in LCD

1080p video camera/12mp

Xenon Flash

Image/Audio/Video editor

Geo tag, face detection, touch focus, etc

12mp 1080p or 8mp 1080p

Dual LED flash

Image/Audio/Video editor

8mp 720p or 1080p

LED flash

Image/Audio/Video editor

Front Facing camera (5mp)Front facing camera 2mpfront facing camera 2mp

Carbon fiber body it's unlikely

but it'll will be light thin phone

micro SD support,

4 GB of internal storage (at least 2GB)

micro SD support

1GB internal storage (at least)

micro SD support

1GB internal storage (at least)

Accelerometer

Digital Compas

Ambient light sensor

Proximity sensor

Barometer

3 axis Gyro

Oleophobic surface

2nd mic active noise cancellation

HDMI port

of course multi-touch

Voice dial/commands

NFC support

Equalizer (it'll be great if we can manually

adjust it and it's for all apps not just music player)

Accelerometer

Digital Compas

Ambient light sensor

Proximity sensor

Barometer

3 axis Gyro

Oleophobic surface

HDMI port

of course multi-touch

Voice dial/commands

NFC support

Accelerometer

Digital Compas

Ambient light sensor

Proximity sensor

Barometer

3 axis Gyro

Oleophobic surface

HDMI port

of course multi-touch

Voice dial/commands

NFC support

Water proof is welcome

FM radio w/o headphones

Bluetooth 3.0 or higher

Water proof is welcome

FM radio w/o headphones

Bluetooth 3.0 or higher

Water proof is welcome

FM radio w/o headphones

Bluetooth 3.0 or higher

Arc's 4.3in
4.6in5in
5in

16:9 ratio16:10 ratio16:9 ratio16:10 ratio16:9 ratio
Width3.753.94.014.244.36
Height2.112.442.252.652.45

• software updates available to ALL PHONES at the SAME TIME, not just nordic countries first then couple of months later the rest of the world but the Americas and then 3-4months later it hits America. We all payed for the same phone, we should all get the updates at the same time w/o having to debrand or flash the phone
  • Global Warranty (http://talk.sonyericsson.com/message/129364#129364)
  • Real commitment from Sony Ericsson to support this phone not "up to" but real support for "AT LEAST 2 YEARS"

1) HD front facing camera (and of course not less than 12mp for the back camera)

2) Carbon fiber body

3) 5in screen HD side to side (w/o thick ugly bars around it or at least make them ultra thin)

4) Quad Core processor

5) 1.5GB of RAM

6) this is HUGE SE should commit to support the phone for 2 years or longer, not just "up to" but a REAL COMMITMENT, so we, users, know that if we buy a SE product it will last for more than a year, and it won't be a maybe

7) Gorilla Glass or Dragontrail

8) OLED or Super AMOLED

9) I think this will make a lot of customers happy

Don't add nor delete any app, in other words don't add other apps that aren't part of Android, BUT make them available on the Android Market to be downloaded later on if the user wants to, same goes for the keyboard, widgets, homescreen, gallery, sound recorder, camera, etc

10) Camera stop compressing the image, it's not ok to have such a low bitrate nor overcompressed pictures

WMC%KU@U34L[1LOYNYV[IML.jpg

11) global phone, if apple can do it, SE can do it better, none of that a & i and cdma versions.

12) software updates available to ALL PHONES at the SAME TIME, not just nordic countries first then couple of months later the rest of the world but the Americas and then 3-4months later it hits America. We all payed for the same phone, we should all get the updates at the same time w/o having to debrand or flash the phone

13) a Global Warranty, Martha said thishttp://talk.sonyericsson.com/message/129364#129364 "One of the biggest reasons there is no global warranty is that not every phone is released worldwide, so we don't want someone to get an Xperia active (in this case), bring it to Australia, and then realize no one in Australia can fix the uni"

this doesn't sound right since SE doesn't have a repair center on each country they sale their products, shipping globaly has gotten quite cheap and shouldn't be a problem to send the phone to a repair center to a near by country that has a repair center

http://talk.sonyericsson.com/message/127737#127737

Issues to be solve ASAP

After few software updates, Sony Ericsson added "new features" BUT they haven't fixed others

1) ambient light sensor

http://talk.sonyericsson.com/message/125881#125881

2) fb updates on the phonebook (I use it sometimes, I want to have the option)

http://talk.sonyericsson.com/message/125277#125277

http://talk.sonyericsson.com/message/125276#125276

3) Housing Crack

http://talk.sonyericsson.com/message/84435#84435

4) the Launcher stops responding when you open many apps or heavy apps like Maps, and some games

http://talk.sonyericsson.com/thread/21753

http://talk.sonyericsson.com/message/123777#123777

5) OVER COMPRESSED PICTURES UGH, THIS REALLY BOTHERS ME, THEY ADDED FEATURES TO THE CAMERA BUT FAILED TO FIX THIS ISSUE

http://talk.sonyericsson.com/message/72838#72838

but Sony provides the same sensor to the icrap and they take full advantage of it and take amazing pictures and videos

http://talk.sonyericsson.com/thread/25049

Highlighted
Learner
Message 8 of 8
Message 8 of 8

Hello!

Sony won be over again with the Xperia Ray and the reason being that it is a beautiful and powerful phone inside a small package. It pains me to see the trend of flagship phones getting bigger and bigger, leaving the slim phones for the cheap or entry level. Sony is the only one on the market today that catters for those that like their phone to fit into a skinny jeans but that still packs a punch.

The Ray is a 2011 model and there's ain't any 2012 worth upgrading to. The 2012 Xperia U ain't too bad with its dual cores, bit it still got bigger and the camera went down to 5Mp. My ideal next Xperia would be something that is as slim as the Ray but packed with the best that can be fitted into it.

Features that I consider a must:

- Screen no bigger than 3.7inches with a high density pixel. Or a bigger screen but with very little bezel to keep the overall size small.

- Latest camera sensor. I like the exor sensor on the Sony phones, I think they capture great low light pictures.

- LED notification light

- Good battery (I can squeeze 2 days of use on my Ray, I think this is the minimum)

- Scratch resistant screen.

Wish List:

- Camera button

- Waterproof and dust proof. Like the Eluga - elegant, but can survive a day surfing away. Xperia active is just too clunky and weak.

As you can see, my list of features ain't that long. I just want a phone that looks good, feels good, works well and can fit anywhere. My phones that I owned in the last few years are iPhone, Blackberry Bold, Xperia mini pro, Samsung Nexus S, among others and was about to go back to the iPhone 4S when I saw the Ray. Before the Ray, the iPhone was the only phone that stayed the same size but still got better. And I totally disagrees with the post above where the small screens sizes are left for the entry level. There are others like me who are ready to pay good dough for a small size flagship phone.

Software side, I think Sony is doing a great job with the Android. There's always room for improvement, but I think it is going well. The Xperia Ray is a joy to use.

Sony, thank you for the Xperia Ray and I hope there will be a better one in the future.