account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Exchange mail error Xperia P ICS: SERVER REQUIRES UNSUPPORTED SECURITY FEATURES

Highlighted
Visitor
Message 1 of 12
Message 1 of 12

Exchange mail error Xperia P ICS: SERVER REQUIRES UNSUPPORTED SECURITY FEATURES

I'm trying to setup my Exchange Mail account on my Xperia P ICS, and all of the information I'm entering are correct.  But when I try to sync, it gives me an error message: "server requires unsupported security features".  I checked with my IT guys, but all of them are using iPhone.  They said there no special settings that need to be turned on, and it may be an incompatibility issue with my phone.  Pleas help.  Thank you. 

11 REPLIES 11
Master
Message 2 of 12
Message 2 of 12

Re: Exchange mail error Xperia P ICS: SERVER REQUIRES UNSUPPORTED SECURITY FEATURES

Well, it's really hard for anyone here to help you. Your IT guys should take a deeper look in to what policies that are set on the server.

Here's a some helpful info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Exchange_ActiveSync_clients

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Visitor
Message 3 of 12
Message 3 of 12

Re: Exchange mail error Xperia P ICS: SERVER REQUIRES UNSUPPORTED SECURITY FEATURES

Well, Our IT head has a BB, and the rest are using iPhones (4 and 4S).  They didn't need any additional security features.  SSL, server address, domain, username and password, those are the only things they configured.  That's what I am also trying to do. 

Adviser
Message 4 of 12
Message 4 of 12

try this,

change your security to Pin or Password. then try to set up your exchange account. that should do the trick.

Visitor
Message 5 of 12
Message 5 of 12

What do you mean "change your security to Pin or Password."?  As in my phone's security?

Adviser
Message 6 of 12
Message 6 of 12

yes your phone's security. try to change that to pin or password then try to set up your exchange account.

Visitor
Message 7 of 12
Message 7 of 12

I tried it, still getting the same error message.  Sony's tech support is still not giving me a helpful answer. 

Master
Message 8 of 12
Message 8 of 12

Well, I can unfortunately not really do much to help here. If the phone says the server uses unsupported security features, you need to sort out what policies that are set on the server. Have you talked to the IT personnel?

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

One time poster
Message 9 of 12
Message 9 of 12

Hi Tachikoma,

I had the same problems with the exchange ActiveSnyc after Android Update 4.2.2 on my Xperia Z.

I tried a lot without success - at the end, the solution was the following:

My settings for "Auto-sync data" in the phone's "Data usage" were off and that prevents the Exchange sync from setting up the Mail-App as a device administrator. When you set up an Exchange account, after the page where it asks you to name the account, it should display a "Activate device administrator?" screen, where you grant permission for the Email app to wipe your phone, set password rules, etc... If "Auto-sync data" is disabled, that screen is skipped, and the Device administrator never gets set up. You can check this by going to Settings -> Security -> Device administrators. If "Email" isn't listed there, Exchange sync won't work. 

You can turn auto sync on/off by going to Settings - Data Usage and then pressing the '...' more menu button at the top.

Good luck and best regards

Patrick

One time poster
Message 10 of 12
Message 10 of 12

Hi Samuel,

for me the following solution worked out fine and maybe you could get this as a general solution for all the corporate E-Mail-Customer Users. And further take this in account for a hotfix or even a special description for setting up an Exchange ActiveSync Account.

I had the same problems with the exchange ActiveSnyc after Android Update 4.2.2 on my Xperia Z.

I tried a lot without success - at the end, the solution was the following:

My settings for "Auto-sync data" in the phone's "Data usage" were off and that prevents the Exchange sync from setting up the Mail-App as a device administrator. When you set up an Exchange account, after the page where it asks you to name the account, it should display a "Activate device administrator?" screen, where you grant permission for the Email app to wipe your phone, set password rules, etc... If "Auto-sync data" is disabled, that screen is skipped, and the Device administrator never gets set up. You can check this by going to Settings -> Security -> Device administrators. If "Email" isn't listed there, Exchange sync won't work. 

You can turn auto sync on/off by going to Settings - Data Usage and then pressing the '...' more menu button at the top.

Good luck and best regards

Patrick