account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Exchange Email problem

Learner
Message 1 of 102
Message 1 of 102

Exchange Email problem

New Xperia Z1 phone, Zimbra Exchange Email Account. Emails get downloaded, but no text is shown when opening mails.

It works perfectly on Xperia Z tablet!

101 REPLIES 101
Sony Xperia Support
Message 2 of 102
Message 2 of 102

Re: Exchange Email problem

Does this happen for all emails or only certain emails? I searched a bit for Zimbra and found some reports that certain versions of it might have a problem with HTML that can cause this. Try sending a plain text email to your account and see if that displays in your phone.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

One time poster
Message 3 of 102
Message 3 of 102

I have the same problem, mails are downloaded, (headers are ok), but the body of the message can not be read, no matter whether it is HTML or plain text.
Server ActiveSync version 12.0 (Icewarp.com)
The only problem I have with the Xperia Z1

Sony Xperia Support
Message 4 of 102
Message 4 of 102

I've searched for more info about this and see this reported with Icewarp as well.

It may have to do with a policy not being supported by the server or not being configured properly on the server. Can you please contact your IT-department and check that the server you use supports the policy "PROVISION_MAX_EMAIL_HTML_BODY_TRUNCATION_SIZE" and that it's set to "Unlimited".

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Learner
Message 5 of 102
Message 5 of 102

No, unfortunately, I can not do that, as it is a hosted system with thousands of users. 

This problem only exists with Sony Z1 handset, Sony Z tablet works good.

I have dozens of phones, HTC, Apple iPhone, Motorola, Samsung: All work without problems. This is only Sony Xperia Z1!!! Please fix it or I will have to return the phone.

Sony Xperia Support
Message 6 of 102
Message 6 of 102

I checked more and i found that this has actually already been investigated by our development. Problem also exists on other devices with Zimbra but not all phones/tablets uses the default client in Android so you may not notice it on all devices and Android versions.

The investigation was made on Xperia S and we got the following response:

Confirmed by our R&D Team, this is not phone issue but only server policy setting problem. The main reason is due to email body size limitation by Exchange Server. Since Xperia S adds a new policy function* to support “restrict HTML body Max size”, this is an improvement to make it possible for the server administrator to control the email content stream from the setting of the server. Therefore, if the email body size is limited by the server, Xperia S can parse the policy and cannot show the email body properly. We cannot re-produce the same problem on our own server which the email body size is not limited.

*Policies       Xperia S       Neo V

PROVISION_MAX_EMAIL_HTML_BODY_TRUNCATION_SIZE     Yes No

We also use Neo V to test on both servers. Since this policy is not supported on Neo V, it will not parse the policy and can show the email body completely no matter it is limited or not.

The ONLY solution to solve your problem is to ask your Exchange Server administrator to adjust the max email HTML body truncation size. Detailed command and explanation are as below for the update of the setting:

set-ActiveSyncMailboxPolicy -Identity [-MaxEmailHTMLBodyTruncationSize ]

: you policy identity name

: if unlimited , set it to -1. (if you don’t want this restrict policy, -1 is prefer)

The MaxEmailHTMLBodyTruncationSize parameter specifies the maximum size at which HTML-formatted e-mail messages are synchronized to the mobile phone. The value is specified in B.

(ex. 100 is 100B)

Here's a thread where a user with Zimbra confirms that this is the problem and a setting on the server: http://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Software-Updates/Zimbra-mailbox-problem-using-as-Exchange-account/m-p/...

If you use a device or client that doesn't support this policy you will be able to see your emails so you could try installing RoadSync, Moxier or NitroDesk  as a workaround and see if it works with any of them if you are unable to configure the server.

One time poster
Message 7 of 102
Message 7 of 102

I have similar problem with default android email application on z1 and activesync with mdaemon server. It synchronize the messages but you can see only headers. You can't open message, it says that there is connection problem. I have installed other email client (Emoze) and it is working fine. I really prefer to use stock app, but it's not working properly.

Is there any workaround to this problem?
Highlighted
Rookie
Message 8 of 102
Message 8 of 102

I have the same problem and you don't seem to offer a proper solution:

Why do we need to use a third party app? We bought the phone and would like to use its stock Exchange that is malfunctioning.

Why is it that EVERY time that we buy a Sony phone we have a problem? On the Z we had the Notification led not working properly for a long time. Can't you test your phones before you put them on the market for sale?

Unless you offer a proper fix very soon I will return or sell the Z1 and make sure that i make the proper posts about it. 

Thank you

Emil

Sony Xperia Support
Message 9 of 102
Message 9 of 102

If one of you can arrange a test account that this problem happens with i can make a new escalation to make sure that this is not new problem but seeing as it's the same server and problem that's already been investigated i doubt this is a problem with the phone.

As i understand it, in order for us to fix this from the phone we would need to remove support for this policy in the phone making it not fully compatible with Microsoft Exchange which is what it's supposed to work with. If the problem is that your server is not fully compatible with Exchange ActiveSync or that the policy is not configured properly on the server, those are problems that needs to be fixed on the server side.

Rookie
Message 10 of 102
Message 10 of 102

It is NOT the same server!! I have a small company and have no connection with the other people that are having the same problem. My other phones are working properly with the server and this is a problem with the Z1 and NOT the server. All the phones in my comapny have the same setup and working well. The sooner you recognize that this is a problem with Sony the sooner we might have it fixed. Thank you