account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

Encryption issue with Xperia Z2 - hangs intermittently - anyone come across this?

Highlighted
Adviser
Message 1 of 8
Message 1 of 8

Encryption issue with Xperia Z2 - hangs intermittently - anyone come across this?

Hi all,

I'm on my second Z2, having returned my first for what I thought at the time may have been a hardware issue.

Basically the device intermittenlyhangs and the screen cannot be switched on with the power button on the side. It needs a reboot via the Power and Volume up buttons. I can reliably reproduce the hang  by downloading one of the 6 free movies to my SD card, but it also happens intermittetly when I'm not using the phone. If it hangs during download, the charge rapidly drops  (eg from 100% to 69% within 30 minutes) and the unit gets very hot.

I bellieve I've isolated this issue  to enabling encryption  for the device and SD card. Without these options enablied the device is rock solid.  I have reproduced the issue on my replacement. phone. No apps other than those supplied out the box were installed at the time. Having subsequently removed encryption - a huge pain as it meant a factory reset , reformat of my SD card and re-download of  the movies due to the DRM Slightly frowning Face - the phone is rock solid once again.

Encryption is a standard feature of Android, which I've been using on my previous Samsung Galaxy S3 and S4 with no problems whatsoever, so this is quite worrying if it is a bug.  On a non related note - I disovered  also that the backup application does not work if encryption is enabled.

Just wondering whether any other Z2 users on the forum have come across this issue so far?

7 REPLIES 7
Adviser
Message 2 of 8
Message 2 of 8

Re: Encryption issue with Xperia Z2 - hangs intermittently - anyone come across this?

Hi again,

Just posting a follow up.

I've done some testing and I seem to have narrowed the problem down to the use of the Sony Movies application with encryption enabled on the Z2.

If I launch the Movies application and start a download of one of the 6 free movies, and leave the phone alone, then it eventually hangs as I've described in my OP. If I press the Power button shortly after the hang happens the screen does not switch. If I hold the power button down the Z2 spontaneously reboots Anguished Face  If however the phone has been in the hang state for a while then it can only be recovered by using the Power and Volume+ buttons.

The hang also occurs if I launch the Movies application and leave it running in the background. The phone eventually goes into the hang state. The battery charge rapidly drains down during the time the phone is in the hang state, losing 30% or more charge in a short time.

If I do not launch the Movies application then the phone appears stable with encryption enabled. If I do not enable encryption then the phone is rock solid. This behaviour has occured on my original Z2 and on the replacemement that my mobile operator sent me, as I orginally thought my first unit had a hardware problem.

I've sent a description of the issue to Sony via the "Contact us" link on Xperia Care Support. Hopefully this will be addressed.

Adviser
Message 3 of 8
Message 3 of 8

Re: Encryption issue with Xperia Z2 - hangs intermittently - anyone come across this?

Sorry  I forgot to post a quick update.

I did hear back quite quickly from Sony tech support. Their inital recommendation was that I perform a repair using PC Companion. This did not work.

The upshot is that they eventually acknowledged that the hang occurs because of  the way the Movies application interacts with encryption. If you wish to use the Movies application then  the only workaround available is to disable encryption if you've enabled it :smileyd_oh: 

They mentioned that this would be fed back to the appropriate departments. They were non-commital in answer to my follow-up query as to whether this will be addressed in a future software update. I couldn't help but take away the impression that their stance is "Don't call us we'll call you"  Slightly smiling Face

So if you enable encryption, bear in mind your Z2 will hang and experience rapid power drain if you allow thhe screen to suspend while the Movies application is running.

One time poster
Message 4 of 8
Message 4 of 8

hi..

this happened to my Z2 also.. the very next day i purchased it. didnt took it seriously and it got onto its normal stage in a few seconds.. but today is its 4th day.. it went berserk,, and i dont have any other apps downloaded.. nor i have downloaded anything.. nor have i played any movies in it.. feeling cheated...  Crying Face

One time poster
Message 5 of 8
Message 5 of 8

My Phone was also Have a Problem. Sony xperia z2 Was my first smartphone on my life.I Open the SD card and  Install a Game Called Cytus in the play store and When I decided to go back to the previous folder in the SD card It just suddenly hung. I don't know what to do for it. What do I do now? It is 9/7/14 

One time poster
Message 6 of 8
Message 6 of 8

Hi  I am also having same problem where my unit is hanging and restarting by itself several times, I do not use any movies application. I am using SDXC card even after removing SDXC card I am still having problem. I tried hard and soft reset and also Factory reset and Sony companion repair option nothing seems toi work. I believe it might be hardware problem. One day my phone got discahrged rapidly and got very hot. I do not use any 4k video or any fancy sruff but still having problem. I  don;t use any movies application. In case by default if my movies app is enabled then let me know how to disable. I bought in June 2014 and worked flawlessly for 3 months and now suddenly causing problem. I  still believe it is not software issue it could be hardware problem pertaining to battery or something else. I amy be wrong. Can some one guide me how to resolve this issue. A line of response is appreciated. Thanks for the help.

One time poster
Message 7 of 8
Message 7 of 8

Looks like may be us SD card is slow.
I never had this problem with my card encrypted.
Just use a faster SD card i use this one: SanDisk Ultra microSDHC and microSDXC UHS-I Cards

http://www.sandisk.in/products/memory-cards/microsd/ultra-class10-for-android/
Visitor
Message 8 of 8
Message 8 of 8

hi jimmyz2 i am having the same problem .tell me some solution