account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

E4 can't connect to WiFi, airplane mode fixes it

Learner
Message 1 of 11
Message 1 of 11

E4 can't connect to WiFi, airplane mode fixes it

Hello,

I had this problem for some months now:

My phone loses the home-WiFi connection after I don't use it for some hours. Sometimes it is reconnecting normally. But most of the time it doensn't. All other devices (Sony Z3 for example) are working fine.

In the settings I can see that it's stuck while requesting an IP address, or there are authenticating problems. Or it just says WiFi is disconnected. (random)

I used to fix this whith restarting the phone.

Recently I reset the Phone, because it would delete app icons from my home screen after reboot, when apps are stored on sd card (reset worked for this). Also I hoped this would fix the connection problem.

I noticed that something backuped my WiFi settings, so resetting didn't solve this. Is there any way to reset WiFi settings only?

Also I found a solution without restarting the phone:

- Turn airplane mode on

- Turn WiFi on and wait (I still have to verify that is does obtain an IP address)

- Turn airplane mode off again, when WiFi is connected.

Is this a known problem? Any help?

Thanks in advance!

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Sony Xperia Support
Message 2 of 11
Message 2 of 11

Re: E4 can't connect to WiFi, airplane mode fixes it

I'm sorry to hear that.

Have you tried to forget the network and then add it again in the phone? You can do that if you tap and hold the network under Settings -> WiFi.

If that doesn't help, do you know if this happens with any WiFi-network?

The WiFi-settings are stored in your Google account and if backup & restore is enabled in the setup guide, the phone will download the backup from your Google account. If you suspect that's the backup causing it, you need to perform a master reset of the phone. In the setup guide, you then need to disable the option to backup/restore with Google.

I have heard a of few cases where the backup has caused WiFi to not work properly. But i would first try to add the network again and also try the phone with another network.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Highlighted
Learner
Message 3 of 11
Message 3 of 11

Forgetting the network didn't help.

Also I don't have another network to try with. There's only one network I want to be connected to, other than my Home WiFi, and I don't stay there long enough to test this. But I think my phone won't connect automaticly when it's currently refusing to connect to my home router. I'm not 100% sure about it.

I can try to create a WiFi hotspot with my old phone. Does this count as a different network when I'm still using the same router to access the internet?

What would be the problem if it worked with other networks?

Thanks to you for helping Slightly smiling Face

Highlighted
Learner
Message 4 of 11
Message 4 of 11

I know this isn't much help, but I've found a little solace to the above rememdy.

I have the same issue except it isn't time related ("after I don't use it for some hours"). It is often related to me altering another setting, it seems if I even look at the Settings screen, it loses the network. Restarting Wi-Fi doesn't help, it cycles through "connecting" and "disconnected". Also, when it first occured I naturally expected it to be a network issue and so re-strated my router. This incidentally didn't help the phone find the network. Forgetting the network on the phone doesn't help, it just means I have to re-enter the password.

The above solution of switching to Airplane Mode seems to fix it (so far - touch wood). But, it doesn't seem to matter whether I reconnect Wi-Fi with Airplane Mode on or later switched off - as long as Airplane Mode is enabled at some point, I am able to reconnect to my (remembered) Wi-Fi network.

Highlighted
Sony Xperia Support
Message 5 of 11
Message 5 of 11

Have you tried to update the firmware in both the phone and the router?

@UhuS

Yes, you could test it with another phone that runs as a hotspot to see if it has to do with the phone or the network.

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Highlighted
Rookie
Message 6 of 11
Message 6 of 11

I buyed two E4 in september for me and my wife, never working the wifi correctly, lost the comunications after 2 minutes and we need restar the fhone to conect to wifi again, .....
I tried reset the phone but the problem continues
Can u help me??
Highlighted
Sony Xperia Support
Message 7 of 11
Message 7 of 11

@Cmucino

Sorry to hear that.

Have you tried to update the firmware in both the router and your phones?

Does it happen with this specific network or is it any WiFi-network you connect to?

Highlighted
Rookie
Message 8 of 11
Message 8 of 11

update the firmware but only allows me to connect two minutes at any WiFi,
Highlighted
Rookie
Message 9 of 11
Message 9 of 11

Also reset the phone but didnt worked
Highlighted
One time poster
Message 10 of 11
Message 10 of 11

I had this problem with two models. Play a YouTube or a saved video and you'll notice your wifi will cut off after about 5 minutes. The only fix is to take your phone back and explain the situation. If they give you another E4 handset, it'll have the same problem, hopefuly they will do what they did with me and give you an E4g after that time