account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Display not working - just getting mostly vertical lines

Highlighted
Visitor
Message 1 of 5
Message 1 of 5

Display not working - just getting mostly vertical lines

I charged my Xperia S phone up at the weekend after the battery had run out and, when I turned it back on again, instead of the normal splash-screens, I just got a mostly blank screen. All that the phone does now is display a series of very thin vertical lines which can move around a little and also change colour. There's also an uneven diagonal line at the bottom of the display that sometimes forms a triangle with one of the vertical lines which is filled in with a pale white colour.

I've run both of the following:

Update Service (SUS)

PC Companion (PCC)

The SUS downloaded a 0.5gb file (OS upgrade presumably) and appeared to successfully transfer this to the phone (that's what it reported anyway). The PCC (which I ran after the SUS) just said the phone was up to date. This suggests that the OS is still working on the phone and it's just something wrong with the display. The phone can be turned off using the 10 second power button and volume button procedure and turns on again using the power button as usual.

Does anyone have any advice on what else I might try, please or, if it's going to be a question of taking it to a repair centre, what are the typical charges for repairs, as it then becomes a question of whether it's worth doing financially or not?

4 REPLIES 4
Forum Legend
Message 2 of 5
Message 2 of 5

Re: Display not working - just getting mostly vertical lines

If the phone is switching on the try connecting it to a TV via the HDMI socket on the side of the phone - If you get a display then the graphics chip is fine and it's the screen that's faulty - If you get the same lines on your TV then the graphics chip has gone - This is the time you have to consider either having it repaired at a service centre or biting the bullet and upgrading - Contact Sony here for your nearest service centre - If it is just the display then you could if you feel up to it replace it yourself

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.   Richard P. Feynman

Forum Legend
Message 3 of 5
Message 3 of 5

Hi and welcome to the community! Since you're new please be sure that you have checked out our Discussion guidelines.

I'm sorry to hear. You can always try a software repair on your unit via SUS but if the problem persist, I suggest that you contact your local support team to get information about how you should proceed in this case:
http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/support/contact-us/contact-info/

The price can vary from market to market, and in most cases a technician need examine the unit before they can tell you how much it will cost.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Visitor
Message 4 of 5
Message 4 of 5

Thommo - thanks for the advice. I'd never connected the phone to the TV before (never had any need to) but, having done so, the display is OK on the TV so, based on what you said, it's the phone screen and not the graphics card that's faulty.

Looks like I'll have to find out where the nearest service centre is, as it's not something I fancy tackling myself.

Visitor
Message 5 of 5
Message 5 of 5

Thanks Hampus - see my post above, looks like it will need a repair.