account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Disappointed, NFC still can't toggle GPS on even after ICS update :(

Visitor
Message 1 of 26
Message 1 of 26

Disappointed, NFC still can't toggle GPS on even after ICS update :(

Hi Sony,

I would like to know if there is any option to toggle GPS with the xperia smart tag as advertised?

Inititally I thought it was just an GB issue, however, after updating to ICS, I am still unable to turn on the GPS as there is no GPS option in the app that came with it. I know that I would need to root my phone in order to get that, however I will risk getting my warranty void. Then what's the point of advertising that feature when I need to root my phone and risk getting my warranty void in order to get that feature Slightly frowning Face I am very disappointed with the Sony false advertising, I don't get what is being"advertised"  even after an update Slightly frowning Face Or is that just a gimmick? Thinking Face

25 REPLIES 25
Sony Xperia Support
Message 2 of 26
Message 2 of 26

Re: Disappointed, NFC still can't toggle GPS on even after ICS update :(

Unfortunately GPS on/off is not available using NFC SmartTags. May I ask where you've seen this advertise or information?

Highlighted
One time poster
Message 3 of 26
Message 3 of 26

right at your own page:

http://www.sonymobile.com/gb/products/accessories/xperia-smarttags/

"Hop in your car and touch its Sony Xperia SmartTag to turn on GPS. Or Bluetooth. You can even launch Google navigator"

It even says so in the video about NFC. It kinda destroys the whole concept of the "Car" tag if you still have to turn on the GPS manually

Visitor
Message 4 of 26
Message 4 of 26

Exactly, it's on your page sony.

Though google is to blame for that, They decided app should not be able to toogle gps status after android >= 2.3...

Visitor
Message 5 of 26
Message 5 of 26

Ya exactly....  Sony don't even know it's own product?

Am I suppose to still trust Sony? Hiash....

@EowynCarter I cant even turn it on during 2.3 Slightly frowning Face

After looking around in the forum, I realised I'm not the only one who have this problem! However some of the user manage to turn gps on and off, they even posted some screen shot.

Some has also said that it must be imstalled as system app...if this is the case.. Sony is at fault, they should include it in their own rom.

Im very disappointed that Sony knowing this problem didnt attempt to adress it or push an updateto fix it!

Visitor
Message 6 of 26
Message 6 of 26

Visitor
Message 7 of 26
Message 7 of 26

Also, even on your updated video...

There is still an option to toggle GPS

http://www.sonymobile.com/gb/software/smart-connect/
take a look at 00:36

Sony Xperia Support
Message 8 of 26
Message 8 of 26

Just as you guys I have checked this on the phone and could clearly see that the GPS option is not present. According to the info and commercial video it should, so I will have to escalate this further on. I will get back to you as soon as I hear anything from concerned project.

Visitor
Message 9 of 26
Message 9 of 26

Yes, As i wrote, android above or equals to 2.3.

I learned about than looking for someing to replace smart connect (becasue it lacked some features), some does GPS toogle, but it requiers root. Same goes with widget.

However, you're right, sony shoudn't advertise GPS.

Visitor
Message 10 of 26
Message 10 of 26

Oh oh, my mistake Neutral Face

Yup, I went to look around forums already, and it requires root Slightly smiling Face not that I don't want to root, I have root 3phones and 2 tablets before, however I'm still afraid that I will damage the phone before the warranty ends :/ So trying to play safe. Rooting defeats the purpose....