account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Disabling video preview and some other questions (plus a whinge about the camera!)

Message 1 of 5
Message 1 of 5

Disabling video preview and some other questions (plus a whinge about the camera!)

Hi,

Just got a new Z5 Compact, based solely on it having the "best" camera..... disappointing to say the least. But I guess that's nothing new to you all here, I see plenty of comments saying much the same, and I'm late to that party so I won't go on about it.....much Winking Face

I have a couple of questions, hope someone can help.

How do I disable the video preview in the gallery view? When I scroll through my (lousy) images and it comes to a video, it plays...I don't want that. Can I turn that off?

When I get a message - at first a notification box that included part of the text message showed up on my lock screen. I don't want my messages showing on my screen like that. I want a notification to show up, but without the text preview. I have stopped the notification box, but is there a way to just have something that tells me I hav a message without the actual text of the message showing? Or is it all or nothing?

Back to the camera.... Macro? Is it even possible? The macro seems to be automatic, regardless of what setting the camera is on, but I am yet to be able to get it to focus on anything. I have read that it won't focus closer than about 12cm, but even then, the focus is crap and macro is non-existent.....

And, the touch screen to focus option? Sure, touch the screen to focus until the circle changes colour. But the circle is hidden by the finger touching the screen! So frustrating....

Cheers  Slightly smiling Face

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Message 2 of 5

Re: Disabling video preview and some other questions (plus a whinge about the camera!)

Have you tried the manual mode in camera?

This is a list of Xperia Camera, how to videos:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoEX1vToAybhSQIIrtXAWhjpPeWhqWarL

Movie Creator:作例「バースデーケーキ」 Xperia™, How To Camera
Emperor
Message 3 of 5
Message 3 of 5

Re: Disabling video preview and some other questions (plus a whinge about the camera!)

@JewellerTracy

This is a support forum, so most of the comments will be from users that have encountered issues, which means that most comments are bias in a sense, with that said.

Settings > sound & notification > when device is locked > Hide sensitive notification content or don't show notifications at all

The 12cm its correct, it's a lot easier if you use Manual mode > settings > More > focus mode > touch focus > you can try different metering settings, Another thing I do is metering center > then I use the physical camera shutter > half press it to focus > press it all the way to snap the picture

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Highlighted
Message 4 of 5
Message 4 of 5

Thanks for the replies Slightly smiling Face

I'll definitely check out the videos and try the suggestions. Setting aside some time this weekend to get stuck in and figure this thing out. Meanwhile, I take macro photos of jewellery and gemstones at work so may have to leave my old phone there specifically for that...maybe at least until I work out this one.

Slightly smiling Face

Emperor
Message 5 of 5
Message 5 of 5

@JewellerTracy

Keep us updated

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)