account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Damaged SD Card error message

Unregistered user
Not applicable
Message 1 of 11
Message 1 of 11

Damaged SD Card error message

When I restart the phone I am getting an error "Damaged SD Card" and am unanble to see any of my phtos. If I restart it several times it usually comes up ok eventually and I am able to read the data on the card. I don't believe there is a problem with the card, it is a Kingston and they are usually bullet proof.

Now I am getting the message every time, I am not sure about reformatting the card as some of the applcations are installed on the card.

Is this a common problem?

John

10 REPLIES 10
Sony Xperia Support
Message 2 of 11
Message 2 of 11

Re: Damaged SD Card error message

In reality, I beleieve it would be related to the content on the memory card. I can only really advise that you perform a format on the SD card.

Just make sure you backup the content  of the memory card first.

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Unregistered user
Not applicable
Message 3 of 11
Message 3 of 11

I have copied the content of the card onto my pc. It is strange that when I connected the phone to the computer, it could see the contents of the card but the phone could not!

I also synced my phone contacts with my Gmail account and for some strange reason the phone can now see the contents of the card.

I will use it for the next few days and see what happens next time I have to turn it off. Reformatting will be the last resort!

John.

Forum Legend
Message 4 of 11
Message 4 of 11

Hi, try this if the problem pops up again.

If you are very sure that there is nothing wrong with your SD Card, I would suggest remove it and giving it a good wipe (both SD Card and phone contact surface).

Sometimes the simplest method works. Slightly smiling Face

Sony Xperia Support
Message 5 of 11
Message 5 of 11

That does seem strange, however let us know how you get on.

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Unregistered user
Not applicable
Message 6 of 11
Message 6 of 11

yeah i agree to gwhispererz..it also happens to my 8gb sdcard..i tried reformating it but still it does'nt work.

Unregistered user
Not applicable
Message 7 of 11
Message 7 of 11

eah i agree to gwhispererz..it also happens to my 8gb sdcard..i tried reformating it but still it does'nt work.

Unregistered user
Not applicable
Message 8 of 11
Message 8 of 11

i got a same problem here i just tested two sdhc cards (micro sdhc 8gb 4class sandisk and i just buy a new card 16gb transcend 4class and not work... I dont really now what to do? my phone even take a photo Slightly smiling Face.... i dont get eny error message and my phone whows he free space 14.8gb but i cant put eny files there Slightly smiling Face.... rocky from finland.... stuck in this problem 3weeks....

One time poster
Message 9 of 11
Message 9 of 11

Same problem here got a SanDisk 128gb format it works ok rectory reset the phone and damaged sd
One time poster
Message 10 of 11
Message 10 of 11

Hey there.  I have the same issue and don't know what to do.  I got a new SD Card, Kingston 16GB, but when I insert it into my Xperia Z3, I get 'damaged SD Card'.  I have tried formatting it, but no luck.  I put it in someone else's phone, and it works fine.  There's nothing on the SD card...  What else? Please help Slightly smiling Face