account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

Cracked screen

Commissioner
Message 41 of 262
Message 41 of 262

Re: Cracked screen

You just have to google "(brand name) screen self cracked" to know that ALL phones using glass screen suffered similar complaints, and it is not unique to only Sony Xperia. However, it's not often this happens and as long as it's not your mishandling, your service provider should exchange a new phone for you. This is a reason why Apple, Samsung and LG are reportedly sourcing a sapphire shielded glass to strengthen their future phones to try eliminating such occurrences.
Enthusiast
Message 42 of 262
Message 42 of 262

As I mentioned O2 have been excellent in arranging a swap out for the damaged one, albeit that it's going to be 4 days before I have a working phone again. I did what you suggested goodled "self cracked screen" and other manufacturers and it's not as common as you'd suggest, Samsung the only other manufacturer which had results featuring on the first page. 

I do not accept that this is a "feature" indicative of todays smartphones, or phones in general. This is CLEARLY a design/manufacturing fault.

And upon that matter I'm wondering why you have jumped so to the defence of Sony, I can only assume that you are ether a Sony Shill or one of these tedious "Fanbois" who seem to allign themselves to particular brands in an effort to believe that such an association with add creedence or gravitas to their opinions or life, I've some news for you:

Sony is a multinational corporation, they are no more your friend than Tarmac, Bic or Hoover. They make products that people buy on the assumption that they are fit for purpose and durable. In this case I would expect a phone to operate and NOT self destruct for a minimum period of 24 months (typical contract period), not 2 days! 

Sony don't need you to defend them, they have plenty of employees paid to represent the company.

Sony have made a defective product and based on the number of people that have gone to the effort to flag this up on Sony's official support forum this is an issue that needs addressing.

Sony appear to be adopting the "cone of silence" technique of customer neglection as popularised by Apple in the late 1990's.

I am very unhappy with:

- the immediate failure of my recently purchased sony flagship smartphone

- Sony's notable absence from this long running support forum thread

(and no I do not consider the post suggesting a customer who accidentally damaged their phone take it to a service center for a paid repair)

- pointless responses intend to dilute the matter

Commissioner
Message 43 of 262
Message 43 of 262

https://community.virginmobile.com.au/t5/Phones-Forum/One-day-old-HTC-One-S-screen-cracked-by-itself...

http://www.reddit.com/r/AndroidQuestions/comments/237e3v/cracked_screen_on_new_htc_one_m8/

http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-4/270762-nexus-4-screen-cracks-defective-google-lg-do-...

http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-1472353.html

http://forums.androidcentral.com/moto-x/361092-moto-x-fragile-screen.html

What you've experience is not a "feature" but a "fact". As long as glass is is used, there is a chance for the screen to break. It is really unfortunate that you are one of those who experience this but my believe is that there are laws that protect consumers and the phone companies will replace it 1 on 1 (except for Apple). 

As mentioned, saphhire screen is being looked into and hopefully this will once and for all resolve this screen self breaking from happening. Although there is always a clitch...sapphire do not transmit light as well as glass and your new generation phone may not be as bright or will consume even more power to have stronger backlight.

Enthusiast
Message 44 of 262
Message 44 of 262

Bearings, seriously, did you even read my last post?

I can only assume that you ARE a Sony representative otherwise I fail to see why you would spend time from your own life to scour the internet for links to support your claim that all manufacturers have expererienced spontanious breakage? Are you employed by Sony Corp? Are you a major share holder? Are you on the Board of Directors?

Or are you simply a deluded child that, in absence of a satisfying religion or devoid of any notable personality, has chosen to take a multinational corporation to their heart and believe that they will "one day" benefit from evangalising the wares of Sony Corp. Trust me, you won't, you are not even on their radar. You are deluding yourself and by doing so devaluing your own credibility and that of Sony Corp.  

What you are attempting to do is "spin" this issue, I'm not letting you. This is a CURRENT failing that is clearly present in the Xperia Z range, I want some form of acknowledgement, resolution and commitment from Sony Corp.

I do not want to hear from you again, unless of course you are employed directly by Sony Corp.

Thank you.

Commissioner
Message 45 of 262
Message 45 of 262

Nutty, this is a forum, you need not reply if you believe that the whole world obit around you. Go back to Apple and get iPhone 6 in September. You would not need to bother with Sony.
Commissioner
Message 46 of 262
Message 46 of 262

Re: Cracked Screen - weakness in design

(Dean T)
There is a lot of alu missing in your frame, so I consider You don't put that photos to "self cracking" screen posts, but damaged posts, there is no way that self braking glass would cut of a piece of aluminium (near speaker corner), and therefor all thrown on solid ground devices do break, gorilla glasses, solid frame phones, tablets, plastic screens.
This subject is only for faulty made phones, not the phones that were damaged by fall, or hit. If the phone wasn't in anykind of insurrance, you will probably pay for screen replacing, that's why people buy insurrance for damage to glass made phones in first step after order.

>> Xperia XZ1 user, help-ful with knowledge he has;>>
Commissioner
Message 47 of 262
Message 47 of 262

Nutty, this is a forum, you need not reply if you believe that the whole world obit around you. Go back to Apple and get iPhone 6 in September. You would not need to bother with cracked GLASS screen anymore.
Enthusiast
Message 48 of 262
Message 48 of 262

Addressed to the immature user by the name tag: "Bearings" AND also Sony Corp.

Firstly let me correct you Mr Bearings, this is a forum, a SUPPORT forum, not a general chat forum but one dedicated to paritcular issues with Sony Xperia Z2 phones.

I am a frequent purchaser of high end product, many of which have been Sony. I am in no delusion that the world revolves around me, nor am I in the habbit of conversing with imbicles.

I have incountered a serious failure with my newly purchased Xperia Z2 phone which is of absolutly no fault of my own. This I believe to be a potentially fundimental design flaw that the Sony Xperia Z2 suffers from, hence my post on this SUPPORT FORUM.

If this issue does not effect you then why on earth do you feel the need to comment on this thread?

My desicion to purchase Sony over Apple was subject to my own preference and could never have been swayed by a troll such as yourself. Do yourself and Sony Corp a favour and resist the urge to post your unhelpful opinions. keep it to yourself and the sony posters on your bedroom wall.

For those considering an Xperia X2 as their next smart phone (investment of at least 24 months) I would urge you to follow this thread, but ignore the "fonboi" utterings of the user known as "Bearings", as he/she has nothing constructive to add, or stated any manufacurer affiliation, but belives that the purchase of a partucular piece of modern technology to be a defining feature of a persons character, "Bearings" has quite a lot of growing up to do.

To recap:

The Xperia X2 appears to may have a major issue. It is a product sold, typically on a 24 month contract, that IS NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE should this screen faliure become a common issue.

Personally I would urge Sony to reconsider their "a new product every six month" strategy and focus on producing product which  LONG TERM HIGH INVESTORS considered Sony to be:

A company whose name used to be synonymous with premium, reliable technology.

I'll end this post with the following: 

Bearings - please refrain from commenting on this particualar topic and topics within the OFFICIAL SUPPORT forum upon which you have NO EXPERIENCE OF, you are seeming to be but a pointless, childish, timewaster.

SONY CORP - Please provide a response from a named representative on your official support forums or this will be considered this an act of "gross negligence" as to the management of your aftercare product support and may be cited in future legal action.

I expect a response from an official Sony representitive within the next 24hrs or I shall persue this via legal process and cite this as constructive obstruction.

Commissioner
Message 49 of 262
Message 49 of 262

Sony will repair self crack screen

http://www.xperiablog.net/2013/11/08/sony-will-repair-certain-cracked-displays-for-xperia-z-series-s...

For those who unfortunately experience glass screen that crack on it's own, please do bring your phone to Sony Service Centre for them to do a repair and replacement.  It is comforting to know that Sony do acknowledge that by choosing to use glass, there is always a chance that it can crack on it's own without you dropping it by accident.  That's why since 2013 with the introduction of sapphire screen protector, Apple, Samsung & LG are very actively sourcing and experimenting this new material that is unscratchable, unbreakable (http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/sapphire-is-unscratchable-unbreakable-and-the-next-hot-thing-in-... and we shall see this in the new Apple iPhone 6 that will be launched sometime in Q3 of this year.  Hopefully, it will not bump prices of phones 3 times as it cost more to produce such screen.

Finally, hope that future Sony mobile phones will incorporate this latest technology in their new Omnibalance design. 

Apprentice
Message 50 of 262
Message 50 of 262

Re: Sony will repair self crack screen

^ ^

just to let you know that my friend has send his device to the customer care and guess what they say.. "we have not heard from Sony about the issue, therefore it's a user fault and you have to pay for the damage and wait till the parts of Z2 reach our department"

so it's easy for them, just make an official statement about the defect and it's gonna be over!