account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

Cracked screen

Sony Xperia Support
Message 51 of 262
Message 51 of 262

Re: Sony will repair self crack screen

Hi all,

I'm sorry to hear about this.

I suggest that you follow Bearings advice and contact your local support team to have your phones examined and fixed at a repair center.

http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/support/contact-us/contact-info/

Regular
Message 52 of 262
Message 52 of 262

Re: Cracked screen

I owned Xperia Z for over a year and I never had any cracked screen issue, I was using it very heavily throughout the year and many times overheated it.

Now, I own Xperia Z2 and after I read this thread I am really terrified that the glass will eventually crack for no reason at all.. I love my Z2 so much Slightly frowning Face
Enthusiast
Message 53 of 262
Message 53 of 262

Re: Sony will repair self crack screen

What the **bleep** is this? 

"Sony will repair certain cracked displays for Xperia Z series suggests leaked info"

This information is dated 6th November 2013, 06:50 PM, on a 3rd party web site which is then reposted on an "Official Blog".

That stinks of "Plausable denyability", This is clearly a known fault that should be dealt with as an expediated warranty repair at ZERO cost to the consumer.

And as for the offical response of "take it to your nearest Sony Repair Center", to my knowledge there are none within at least 50 miles. Suprisingly Sony don't appear to have a high street presence down here on Exmoor National Park! That may be an acceptable form of recourse should you be city based, but those of us that live and work in more remote locations, it is simply NOT FEASABLE.

Nor is there an easy to find list of service centers anywhere on sonymobile.com!?!

And as for taking it to a service center can I expect an immediate replacement phone? more likly (and judging by the comments)  the phone will be sent off for a repair after a protracted discussion with store staff?!?

I'll decline that suggestion, if you'd read my original post you'll see that my carrier (O2) had immediatly offered a collect/replace service, which I have accepted.

My biggest concern is that the Xperia range has an inherient design flaw and is only supplied with a 12mths parts & labour warranty whereas the standard mobile phone contract length is 24mths.

This has the potential to land the unaware consumer with considerable repair costs, due to no fault of their own, after serving only half of their mobile contract.

I could well be argued that the phones are NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE and a class action or EU lawsuit along with increasing RMA levels could see Sony in some pretty hot (and commercially damaging) water.

Sony should offer a 24mth collect/replace extended warranty for non impact related screen faliures.

This is a manufacturing defect and NOT the fault of the consumer!

Apprentice
Message 54 of 262
Message 54 of 262

My Z2 screen broke itself!

I went to bed, placed the phone on a shelf I use at night.

When I woke up, the screen was cracked, it was not even loading or anything.

As you can see on the image, the cracks are even all over the screen... so strange.

I will send it in to repair, but I am a bit worried that this is something that can happend again.

Anyone else with the same experience?

2014-05-28 09.31.19.jpg

Apprentice
Message 55 of 262
Message 55 of 262

Re: My Z2 screen broke itself!

I have sent my warranty request, and got the information that broken screen is not a part of the warranty....

I consider "selfbreaking" screens a production problem and not a user problem = should be a warranty case.

I will keep you updated in how things proceed. It will be very interesting to see how this is handled.

Rookie
Message 56 of 262
Message 56 of 262

Well after three weeks of the phone been in for repair, ive been informed that the crack on the back is NOT a warranty repair.

So I have to pay £40 for the repair (or £50 excess on the insurance).

For all you fanboys out there that reckon that its abuse of the phone, it isnt. Grow a set of balls and accept that some devices have obvioulsy got an issue. Maybe the glass panel is not on quite right and so a minimal (day to day) amount of pressure cracks it.... who knows.

All I know is, the phone was in my front pocket (well its more a pouch on a set of work trousers), so not even tight. I wasnt actually physically working, I was watching someone, standing behind them while they did their job, looked at the phone and there was a crack on it. 

Where I was working, it was quite hot inside but was raining outside.

Im not going to rant about it, I just have to accept the £40 fee, get it repaired and sell it on as I now have an S5.

One thing I do hope is.... that those on this thread who say it cant happen or is user error, your gonna look mighty stupid if it happens to you... so much so, you wont even be able to post on here that it happened to you. ;-)

Commissioner
Message 57 of 262
Message 57 of 262

self cracking screen is really funny i  dont say its nt happening just feel most of the reports com from trolls or careless users tbh can yu fit a 32 inch tv into a rock sack ?????? so why try fit a 5.2 inched device in the front or back pocket of a tight jeans or trousers?????? i've dropped my z2 loads of times to test i out and it still stands drooped from the top of my wardrope down to the side of the bed to inbetween the bed and the wall not even a scratch but yet it cracs just by leaving it by the side of your bed overnight ?????really wel worry no more as there's a number dedicated to it here in the uk .For anyone who is affected in the UK, Sony has given a telephone number to call (08705 237 237) which is open Monday to Friday from 8am to 8pm and on Saturday from 9am to 5pm.

Commissioner
Message 58 of 262
Message 58 of 262

@Tomo1971 weird they told you to pay 40 quid while they charge almost 250 for the z hmmm maybe the z screen is more epensive yh ????

Highlighted
Commissioner
Message 59 of 262
Message 59 of 262

dpzOnline that cracked screen is not a self cracking screen accident and how weird you had a scamsung s5 about to take the picture or your cracked z2 . like i said most people reporting this are trolls or just paid to make sony look bad 

Enthusiast
Message 60 of 262
Message 60 of 262

Re: Cracked screen

all those affected I recommend that you contact BBC Watchdog as they have picked up on this, Sony will have to provide an official resolution.

I've now got my replacement Z2 but I have zero faith in it lasting 24 months!