account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Cracked Glass Back (fixed.DIY)

Demigod
Message 1 of 12
Message 1 of 12

Cracked Glass Back (fixed.DIY)

This is not a complaint but to share my experience with Z2 users.

I recently cracked the back of my Z2. Actually it think 'crushed' is a more appropriate word. It wasn't caused by impact but pressure. The phone was in my front pocket when i was trying to push a heavy table. I unconsciously pressed my thigh where the phone is against the table and a heard a soft crushing sound. Needless to say, my heart crushes as well at the same time realising it probably means I cracked the front lcd. But later realised it's the glass back that cracked. I sligh sigh of relief escapes my mouth.

Here's the picture. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3DTwC-gaGC8Y2FYaHd1RFo4eTA/edit?usp=sharing

The phone still functions as normal but I decided to send for service a few days later because I knew that if I don't get it fixed, the phone won't be waterproof anymore.

So here's the interesting part. Just because the back of the phone is cracked, doesn't mean that only the back glass needs to be replaced. According to the technicion in charged of fixing my phone, there's a centre core that link/grips the back glass and front lcd together. And as long as the core did not crack or break, the back glass can be removed and replaced. However, if the core is affected, both the back and the front LCD panel needs to be replaced. And this will cost SG$345. Roughly about US$300.

And because the crack caused a small chiped on the frame, replacing that glass may not make the phone waterproof again. With that, I decided not to get it fixed. For now that is. I decided to just get a back screen protector to firmly holds the cracked pieces in place and used a back cover. I'm slightly over budget this month because I had to do a minor surgery and a few lab tests.

So to all Z2 owners, not only do u need to protect your front lcd, even the glass back need to be protected. So take special note of this.

Neutral Face

11 REPLIES 11
Sam
Sony Xperia Support
Message 2 of 12
Message 2 of 12

Re: Cracked Glass Back

Hi Zann.H, I am very sorry to hear about this. You are correct regarding how this works and the same applies for all of the glass front and back handsets from my understanding. The repair itself is not a simple one where a sheet of glass can simply be swapped out and a number of parts must be replaced in order for the repair to be performed correctly and ensure the water resistance of the product. 

sony_logo126x24.gif
What are your thoughts about this forum? Let us know by doing this short survey.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Commissioner
Message 3 of 12
Message 3 of 12

That's why protecting both the glass on front and back with glass screen protectors are important.
One time poster
Message 4 of 12
Message 4 of 12

The backpanel is not corning glass? Is it a regular low endnglass that is prone to cracking? Is thisa ploy so that we will buy accessories?
Enthusiast
Message 5 of 12
Message 5 of 12

to be honest if you don't keep your Z2 in a flip case then you can consider an accident waiting to happen, given that this device is prone to self destruction (I've had x2 die on me now through no fault of my own, I watched the second screen failure occur before my eyes!) to not treat it with kid gloves is foolhardy at least.

This is NOT a robust handset, not in the slightest. Buy a case, just incase. (that said the second failure happened whilst the phone was in a Roxio case, sat on a table playing music, you can't plan or protect from sonys inbuilt suicidal screens!)

Highlighted
Adviser
Message 6 of 12
Message 6 of 12

@MrNutt wrote:

to be honest if you don't keep your Z2 in a flip case then you can consider an accident waiting to happen, given that this device is prone to self destruction (I've had x2 die on me now through no fault of my own, I watched the second screen failure occur before my eyes!) to not treat it with kid gloves is foolhardy at least.

+1

I've been spooked by reading this thread. I do keep my Z2 in a flip case.

The other day it slipped out of my hand and fell about 3 feet to the wooden floor Worried Face

My heart was in my mouth as I picked it up - but it survived the fall and both front and back are OK. Phew!

Demigod
Message 7 of 12
Message 7 of 12

fixed1.JPG

Total cost: SGD20/-

Time taken for part to arrive: 2 weeks.

Time taken to fix: 30 mins.

Is the phone waterproof? If it is, then good. But for SGD20, it doesn't matter.

One time poster
Message 8 of 12
Message 8 of 12

Hi, I am currently having the same problem as you did. Just wanted confirm if your phone is working fine after repairing it yourself. Is it still waterproof? has it shown any problems?

Genius
Message 9 of 12
Message 9 of 12

Hi @zocean after a DIY repair it is difficult to determine if indeed it is still waterproof, the self pressure test has mixed results & i would not trust it, the only posive way is a Vacuum test which would be carried out by your local Xperia Care Centre if you had your phone in there for the repair, a DIY repair would also void your Sony Warranty Slightly frowning Face

One time poster
Message 10 of 12
Message 10 of 12

Hey, how much does it cost to replace the rear glass panel on my Z2? I'm sending it to you.