account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Charging icon jumps from charging to battery

Learner
Message 1 of 6
Message 1 of 6

Charging icon jumps from charging to battery

Since yesterday (at least that was the first time I noticed) the charging icon jumps back and forth from charging to battery and the charge LED blinks. It makes no difference if I charge with the magnetic bus or the Micro-USB port. I've also tried with different power supplies. Often for the first 10-30 seconds after connecting charging is stable, but thereafter charge-icon, -LED and display start to blink.

What's wrong? The system software was automatically updated (probably still Android 5.1.1) 2-3 days ago. Has anybody else experienced this?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Message 2 of 6

Re: Charging icon jumps from charging to battery

@k_traxler

Can you check if this happens in safe mode?

Feel free to kudo this post or mark it as solution so that other users facing the same issue can find it

Disclaimer: Moderators are not affiliated with or work for Sony Mobile, their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles in the community.

Genius
Message 3 of 6
Message 3 of 6

Hi @k_traxler,

When did this start happening? Was it after doing something with the phone? If the charging-icon keeps jumping from charging to not charging it might be hardware related. In order to have your device sent to and examined by an authorized service center I suggest that you contact your Local support

However, there are a few things you can try. Was there any change in safe mode as Quester suggested? Even if the icon keeps changing from charging to not charging, does the charging level increase over time? Is there any change if you instead charge your device through a computer?

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Learner
Message 4 of 6
Message 4 of 6

When did this start happening?-> About Tuesday, May 24. I noticed the LED on my magnetic charging wire didn't turn from blue to red as it should during charging.

Was it after doing something with the phone? -> Nothing unusual, apps that were updated automatically don't seem to have any relevance to the system, except maybe Sony's Xperia software.

Was there any change in safe mode as Quester suggested? ->No. I tried even turning off all power consuming features, the icon didn't change to battery (with '+'-sign on it) anymore, probably because in that short moment before charging again, the device didn't use energy noticibly to the energy sensor.

Even if the icon keeps changing from charging to not charging, does the charging level increase over time? -> The Z2 tablet even showed a warning that the input charge was lower than the energy I was using.

Is there any change if you instead charge your device through a computer? -> No, but if you mean charging with low amperage, I charged with different adapters, i.e. a Sony 1,5A adapter. The app 'Ampere' showed me 1,100 mA, alternating with a power consumption (-1,100 mA).

The battery drained to 0% and shut off the Z2 tablet. I tried charging with the magnetic cable with the tablet off: blue LED on the cable, no LED on the Z2 as far as I remember.

In the morning I changed to the micro-USB cable: the Z2's LED turned on solid red, no change after 2 1/2 hours! When charging it would be green, right?

Highlighted
Demigod
Message 5 of 6
Message 5 of 6

Hi.

Colour of the LED indicates state of charge in battery. Between 0 and 10% it would be red, then it will change to orange/amber and remain at this colour until 90%. Starting from 90% it will change into solid green.

If any application puts a notification on the screen led will start blinking in a colour related to the notification (green for FB messenger, blue for facebook, white for youtube, gmail, built in mail app).

If device is fully off (you can try to restart it by holding PWR + VOL-UP for at least 15 secodns if I remember correctly) it should charge from 0 to 100% in around 5.5 hours. Orange led should appear within first hour.

You can/should try different 1500+ mA charger with short USB cable (original Sony is prefered here) and try to charge the device. If this fails hardware inspection looks like the only option.

Also inspect device visually yourself. Is device flat? Maybe battery failed and spoofed? You should notice if it happened.

Best regards,
Sergio PL

--
Xperia Z3 Compact / Nexus 7 (2012)
Genius
Message 6 of 6
Message 6 of 6

After over two hours there should at least be enough juice for the tablet to start up. Have you tried pressing and holding the volume up and powerbutton as @SergioPL suggested? Should that not help then I recommend you try performing a software repair using Xperia Companion.

Should you still not be able to charge your device or it's not possible to start it then contact your Local support team for instructions on how to send it to an authorized service center.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.