account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Want to know more about Xperia 5? To read more about it go here.
If you can't find the answer to your question there please post it here and let the community help you.

Can you Test Waterproofing... Without Water

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 36
Message 1 of 36

Can you Test Waterproofing... Without Water

Hey guys,

So, I've purchased the Z3 from T-mobile. One of the features that I adored was the fact that I could take this thing underwater, not that I had any real plans to do this. I wanted this feature on the off chance that I would actually use it.

Anywho, since this was an advertised feature, I wanted to be able to test this without having to actually submerge it. So, checking XDA, etc. I've downloaded a barometer app and also checked the service test as well. Both seem to indicate that my Z3 is NOT waterproof. The internal pressure increased when pressure is applies to the phone, but then it turns to its previous pressure within a few seconds.

So, broken?

Thanks,

Johnathan

35 REPLIES 35
Message 2 of 36
Message 2 of 36

Re: Can you Test Waterproofing... Without Water

The device is certified as waterproof: IP68 certified - dust proof and water resistant over 1 meter and 30 minutes

They really cannot lie or just say it is.I have the older Z1 and have put it in water and washed it many times with no issues.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Enthusiast
Message 3 of 36
Message 3 of 36

@alexdon,

Thanks for the reply.

I understand that this is the claim, and I'm sure that the properly manufacturered device can do just this, but I question is my particular device can. I'd rather attempt to figure this out before actually placing it in even purified (non-salt and non-chlorine) water. I'm sure that you and others here know that not every phone that is manufacturered meets the specifications unless they are all thoroughly tested. If waterproofing was actually tested, then every phone would be waterproof and no claims would be filed unless the device was compromised.

Thus, I'd like to avoid clashes with Sony if I ever had too about this matter.

Thanks,

Johnathan

Message 4 of 36
Message 4 of 36

Indeed,there will always be devices with manufacturing problems.You should request Sony to test your device somehow:

http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/support/contact-us/

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Enthusiast
Message 5 of 36
Message 5 of 36

I'll check on that... thanks!

Adviser
Message 6 of 36
Message 6 of 36

you can test waterproofing WITHOUT water:

1) close the flaps
2) dial *#*#7378423#*#* (7378423 = SERVICE)
3) service tests/pressure sensor
4) press on the screen with your finger, pressure will rise
5) open a flap, press, pressure does not rise

source: xda

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=56025405&postcount=2
Enthusiast
Message 7 of 36
Message 7 of 36

@reas,

Thanks for that. I had tried that, but the pressure falls after a couple of seconds. Did the same with the barometer app. Guessing it is a fault with the hardware.

Enthusiast
Message 8 of 36
Message 8 of 36

Well, I've contacted Sony Support by sending them an email via their contact page. I've yet to get an email, but when I login to sonymobile.com, I see a white '1'  with an orange circle next to "My Support". It 'seems' that I've got a response back, but clicking on it just asks me to login eventhough I am already logged in and then it takes me to the device page... clicking on my device doesn't show anything. So, how do I check on the current status of my support request?

Thanks y'all,

Johnathan

Message 9 of 36
Message 9 of 36

The 1 means there is a support request active, not that it's been answered to.
I got my response via email about a week and half later.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views.
Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Enthusiast
Message 10 of 36
Message 10 of 36

Honestly, I'm surprised that it takes so long to get a reply from a valid customer.