account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Can't connect to mobile network on Sony Xperia Z Ultra

Learner
Message 1 of 8
Message 1 of 8

Can't connect to mobile network on Sony Xperia Z Ultra

Device: Sony Xperia Z Ultra
Carrier: The Peoples Operator (Same issue when tested with EE as well)
Android Version: 5.0 Lolipop

I recently lost the SIM card tray for my device, and Sony sent me out a new one. I inserted the new tray with the SIM, however now I get no signal. I occassionally pick up signal in a few certain places in the center of town, but that's it. 99% of the time it just shows an empty signal bar. The thing is, if I go to Settings>Mobile Networks>Network Operators and search for networks, it will find multiple networks most of the time, including my network (TPO) however, when I click to connect, it just says 'Registering on TPO' and just stays on this screen with the icon spinning.

I had this issue with an EE SIM, now I'm having the same issue with a SIM from The People's Operator, so I don't think it is the SIM. I've also tried two SIM card trays, one from Sony and one from a third party seller. Any ideas why I can't get any signal? Getting Desperate now. Have tested my SIM cards in other phones, and they work fine.

Don't think I can send it back to Sony even though I've only had it a couple of months as I had the screen repaired, which I'm guessing voids the warranty.

Sony support said to connect it to PC companion, however my phone will not connect.

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Emperor
Message 2 of 8
Message 2 of 8

Re: Can't connect to mobile network on Sony Xperia Z Ultra

@Toby_C

Turn off the phone > run PCC > follow the steps to repair the phone > connect the phone > the phone has to be off and charged > if that doesn't work > restart your PC > disable the firewall and antivirus and try again > if that doesn't work > try with a different cable and USB port 

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Highlighted
Learner
Message 3 of 8
Message 3 of 8

@uliwooly wrote:

@Toby_C

Turn off the phone > run PCC > follow the steps to repair the phone > connect the phone > the phone has to be off and charged > if that doesn't work > restart your PC > disable the firewall and antivirus and try again > if that doesn't work > try with a different cable and USB port 

Thanks for the reply. Whenever I connect the phone to the computer, even when the device is on, I always get the 'USB device not recognised' error (windows). I've tried multiple ports and cables, any ideas what is causing this?

Highlighted
Emperor
Message 4 of 8
Message 4 of 8

@Toby_C

Settings > Xperia connectivity > USB Connectivity > try MTP 

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Highlighted
Learner
Message 5 of 8
Message 5 of 8

Thanks, but it was already on MTP, have switched modes, and switched back, but I'm still having the problem

Highlighted
Forum Legend
Message 6 of 8
Message 6 of 8

Hi,

When the phone is connected, I suggest that you check the Device manager in WIndows to see if you can find your phone from here. Perhaps it will show a yellow exclamation mark for your device, you can then right-click at your device and choose Uninstall > Disconnect the phone when it's uninstalled > Wait a minute and reconnect the phone with the USB-cable.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Highlighted
Learner
Message 7 of 8
Message 7 of 8

Thanks, but I am now getting 'Device driver software was not successfully installed'

Whenever I connect the device to a pc, it seems to connect and disconnect at random. Tried different cables, different ports, and even different pc, but still no joy. This phone is driving my crackers.

Highlighted
Forum Legend
Message 8 of 8
Message 8 of 8

Unfortunately, if you have tried all the things that you mention and are not able to perform a software repair via PC Companion, I suggest that you visit nearest service center to have the phone examiend by a technician. More information how to get the phone examined/repaired can be found at the following link:
https://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/FAQ/How-to-get-your-Sony-Xperia-product-repaired/m-p/991374

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.