account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Want to know more about Xperia 5? To read more about it go here.
If you can't find the answer to your question there please post it here and let the community help you.

Can't Upgrade to 5.1

Apprentice
Message 1 of 18
Message 1 of 18

Can't Upgrade to 5.1

Hi,

I am an Xperia Z user from the Philippines. Last week I have received an update to Android 5.1 lollipop so I've decided to upgrade my software from Android 5.0.2. I was asked to download the necessary files from my phone to start with the update, the file is about 400mb. After downloading I was asked to install the files so I click the install button. My phone restarted and the installation began, upon updating, my phone suddenly restarted and continued to boot. I tought the update was already finished but when I checked I am still using android 5.0.2 firmware and the software update still appears on my notification. I tried rebooting my phone, installing the update on the PC Companion but none worked. Please help...

Screenshot_2015-09-14-18-13-27[1].png

17 REPLIES 17
Forum Legend
Message 2 of 18
Message 2 of 18

Re: Can't Upgrade to 5.1

Have you unlocked your bootloader or rooted your device

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.   Richard P. Feynman

Apprentice
Message 3 of 18
Message 3 of 18

No I haven't

Message 4 of 18
Message 4 of 18

Try settings-apps-all,scroll down to software update app and force stop and clear data. Restart.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Apprentice
Message 5 of 18
Message 5 of 18

I just tried force closing the software update app and clearing the data, I also restart my phone and downloaded the update again but I still am getting the same error. Is there any other way to fix this?

Message 6 of 18
Message 6 of 18

Perhaps there is a server error? @Johan what do you think?

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Sony Xperia Support
Message 7 of 18
Message 7 of 18

From what I can see its not a server related issue. So I suggest that you try to run the update via PC Companion just to check if it works or if you receive any specific error there as well.

Sorry, I just noticed that you've tried PC Companion as well. Which error did you receive from PCC when you tried to update?

Apprentice
Message 8 of 18
Message 8 of 18

Hi Johan, when using the PC Companion I always get the message that I am already using the latest firmware but when I checked on my phone my firmware version is still 5.0.2.

error.jpg

Screenshot_2015-09-15-16-46-18[1].png

Sony Xperia Support
Message 9 of 18
Message 9 of 18

@dyeysi09 wrote:

Hi Johan, when using the PC Companion I always get the message that I am already using the latest firmware but when I checked on my phone my firmware version is still 5.0.2.

error.jpg

Screenshot_2015-09-15-16-46-18[1].png

That sound a bit strange. Please send me your IMEI number over PM and I will forward this for investigation.

Message 10 of 18
Message 10 of 18

https://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-Tablet-Z/Lollipop-5-1-Update-fail/m-p/1037520#U1037520

See the above. Same error and PCC helped.